My Mangrove Mixed Reef

Update time. Here are the pics.

IMG_2522.jpg

trimmed the roots of this mangrove. They were all originally twice the length. Will be interesting to see if there are any negative effects from this.

IMG_2510.jpg

another shot of it

IMG_2523.jpg

you can see this mangrove is starting to develop that wierd tap root or whatever it's called.

IMG_2511.jpg

another shot of it

IMG_2524.jpg

this is one growing nicely :) might get some xenia to attach to the roots soon!

IMG_2512.jpg

roots going crazy at the back!

IMG_2519.jpg

two mangroves with leaves now!

IMG_2521.jpg

and one more on the way :)

It looks like your nem is close enough to your sps to sting/kill them. I'd be moving one or the other or the SPS will likely go the way of the dodo.

Kick *** tank, btw!

Cheers :) Yeah, I've already had to move that rock a few times. To be honest, I'm not all that fussed. I was considering completely removing that middle rock to get the open look back to the tank to be honest. I'll just lay back and see what happens for now :)

Tank is looking very good, love the Suncoral and the big Anemone. What effects have you noticed from pruning the mangrove roots? Does it affects the tree growth or do they produce more roots then? Thanks and good luck with system.

Cheers Mentat. I think it might be a bit early to tell if the pruning had any adverse effects on the mangroves. At the time I gave them the chop, it was halfway through budding off some new leaves. Since then, I think it's taken a bit longer for the leaves to sprout out, but this is probably due to the mangrove focusing on healing the cuts rather than sprouting. I have absolutely no knowledge of plants and how they work though...so that could be completely wrong :)

Now add some nice seagrasses, say Halophlia in those open white sand areas.
Add a bit more current as those and the other things fill in more.

Need a little different sediment for that, but could be done with water column dosing if you are careful.

BTW, no need for the vodka, with plants you have plenty of organic carbon.
Good Bacteria growth + good coral growth+ plants/macro algae growth= little NO3.

In many red mangrove regions that are mature, sponges and various root specific algae will grow on the roots, every bit as impressive as a reef, and often the same no#'s of fish.

Sea grasses grow right outside the shaded zone. Always on my list of places to see when I go to the ocean.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Great looking tank! And now I'm inspired to toss a few mangroves in my tank too, using your method for growing the roots out.

Thanks everyone.
Sandiegan: If I were to grow the mangroves again, here's how I'd do it. Prop them up like I did, but just underneath the bottom of the mangrove, place a soda bottle upside down. Atleast for the first month or so. This way as the roots start growing, they'll grow out, and down the bottle, giving you a really nice shape to the roots, rather than the roots just growing straight down. If you ever give it a shot, let me know :)

NanoDrummer09: tank is 4' x 18" x 18" I think...

Plantbrain: Thanks for the info. Once the roots really take hold I'll start attaching some corals or sponges to them. Once I get back from my holiday in december, might look into getting some tank bred bangai cardinals.

Anyway, here are a few pics. In a bit of a rush, so won't bother with an explanation to them all.

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

Nice work! I have a 30" tall fuge I want to put some mangroves in, if they are fully submerged will they die or will they eventually grow above the water?

Dude, beautiful tank, and great selection of corals. I love the elegance and the sebae!

You mentioned the trochus snails spawning. Do you run a skimmer? I've read that the skimmer removes the veligers before they can grow out. I have 10 trochus in my system that look identical to the ones you have, but I do have a skimmer. I'm hoping that, if they spawn, some of them will make it without being skimmed away.

looks nice! are you misting your mangroves? I mist the leaves of mine every day with RO water because they export salt through their leaves and if you dont mist them they shrivel up and die. I started doing this after I went to florida and noticed it rains a little bit every day it seems. I've had mine growing in my sump for a few months and are looking good. I bet a little caulerpa would look cool growing in the sand like a grass bed!

jjk_reef00: Not too sure actually. Give it a go and see what happens?

redfishsc: Thanks :) Yeah, I run a reef octopus skimmer. I'm pretty sure I had it on when the trochus spawned, but then again I did go about a month without a skimmer, but not sure if that's when they came about. I haven't witnessed any spawnings from the trochus since, nor any more baby snails. I do however have hundreds of tiny ceriths now running around the substrate!

MBasile: Yeah I mist them whenever I can. I can notice a bit of salt buildup after about 5 days normally. As for the caulerpra, with the anemone now in I have very little room left on the sand bed! I still can't wait to get rid of this middle rock. Then maybe I might think about something growing in the substrate :)

Yes to Mangroves

Yes to Mangroves

Oh also, how effective does everyone feel Mangroves are for removing nitrates and what not? I was thinking about plumming a 125 set up inline with my main reef tank trying to deceid if I should make it visible or build itinot a cab.
Any thoughts?

I have a few in my fuge and they grow like crazy, along with the chaeto, so obviously they are feeding on some nutrients which one has to assume would eventually show up as nitrates if not removed somehow. My entire system relies soley on the fuge (as above with 4 chambers-a sand bed & LR, deep sand bed&LR, Bethenic zone with suspended LR and mangrove chamber. All except mangrove chamber have chaeto too.). This plus a kick *** skimmer is all I seem to need.

Back