My new 210 gallon tank

ReefWhatYouSow

Well, I have the tank! I guess that is a start. Thanks to scubasteve247 in Pompano!

I guess the 10 hours in the car was worth it cause this thing is beautiful. 60"long x 27"deep x 30"tall. Tons of bracing and a center overflow made of smoked glass (too bad I'm think about covering it). It's going to go in the wall of a closet which will be known as my new tank room.

Please give me any ideas you all have! Show me pictures of your in walls or center flow tanks!

u7azavut.jpg

Really nice tank! JMO you have the wrong tank for an in the wall tank. There is going to be space behind the overflow that you wont be able to see. A back overflow system would be much better. Then again it JMO. This tank would make a great room divider where its viewed on 2 or 3 sides

That's exactly what I thought before I bought it, but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up! I have had some ideas to how to make it feasible and still look pretty good. I'm thinking about building a rock wall around the back three sides of the tank, and then doing something similar around the overflow with a slight volcano effect. I figured having the gap behind the overflow could be a great place to have my water come into the tank hidden? What do you think?

just some ideas for you on rock wall. I used the traditional pond foam, dryrock for ledges, and Aragonite/Gorilla Glue for covering. On the overflow, I just painted with gorilla glue and covered in Aragonite. I have used this on other tanks I set up and never had any issues with "out gassing" or foam breakdown. What ever you do, be careful on the silicone you use and let it cure for 7 days before adding water if you use it.

That's a great idea. I see that your rock formations start off of the bottom of the tank. I guess your sand bed fills that gap, right? Also, does it get disgusting behind the rock wall? Is there any kind of space with stagnant water?

That's a great idea. I see that your rock formations start off of the bottom of the tank. I guess your sand bed fills that gap, right? Also, does it get disgusting behind the rock wall? Is there any kind of space with stagnant water?

I have a light sand bed but the base live rock I have in there now covers the eggcrate. In the past when I broke down one of my tanks with the rockwalls, there was really no build up behind them when I pried them loose :). That tank was up for 3 years and I only tore it down because I had to leave for China for a couple years. One thing I did this time was to use a liverock that I was able to have plenty of openings all the way to the back wall. The area of concern for me is the small space to the left of the overflow. I now have a very small Tunze pointing straight down into that area with an MP40 Vortec and a WP25 mixing the tank with a nice 1" wave motion at the surface.

That's a pretty nice way to set it up. I think I would try to do something similar with the liverock. I would want to increase the flow as much as possible and take advantage of the natural filtration they provide. How did you get everything to stick to the walls of the tank? Did you use some kind of silicone or glue?

That's a pretty nice way to set it up. I think I would try to do something similar with the liverock. I would want to increase the flow as much as possible and take advantage of the natural filtration they provide. How did you get everything to stick to the walls of the tank? Did you use some kind of silicone or glue?

I took Eggcrate and tie-wrapped any rock formations I wanted. You can easily drill with hammer drill. I then used pond foam (sparingly) to make a back ground. Once that dried, I take Gorrilla glue and use a throw away brush and just paint on. Once on, cover with Arroganite in a large size. Once that dries, shake off the excess and wah-la. The gorrilla glue is the best I have used over epoxy and is easy to get. It is very reef safe as well.

Then when you have the eggcrate panels done, use 100% silicone (get something that is used for aquariums) to stick to the glass walls. Again, when using silicon, it must cure out a minimum of 7 days before you add water or longer. Some will say bull, but to them I say bull :). I have never tried gorilla glue to glass, but my overflow in the pic is a plexiglass cover that accepted the glue and substrate excellent.

If you want to come and see, let me know and PM me. I will show you up and running.

mike

Thanks for that detailed explanation Mike. I will definitely hit you up when I'm out that way. My bro-in-law lives out there so I go relatively often.

I definitely have some ideas for the rock formations. Now I just need to make the time to do it lol... Were the rocks you used live (with living organisms) or were they dried out and cleaned?

Thanks for that detailed explanation Mike. I will definitely hit you up when I'm out that way. My bro-in-law lives out there so I go relatively often.

I definitely have some ideas for the rock formations. Now I just need to make the time to do it lol... Were the rocks you used live (with living organisms) or were they dried out and cleaned?

For the rock wall I used dry rock (TBS). In the 120 when I set up, I used about 80lbs of LR from a local reefer I bought to seed the tank (not in the pics). So both :), Dryrock for the background and base and LR for the rest.

I'm guessing that is a huge savings. How about I buy some food and drinks and I'll have you and some others come over to my my tank up lol....

Back