My revised plan: your suggestions welcome, wanted list included as well

Osteomata

I posted an introduction yesterday, and got some good advise. Since then I have had to take a hard look at my space, and based upon discussions with my wife, I have revised my plan to something more realistic for our one bedroom condo. Here's the new plan, your input welcome, and Im looking for these items if anyone has them for sale.

- 36 Gallon Corner Bowfront (quarter circle)
- Sump with visible refugium. I'm thinking of a 16 gallon bowfront.
- Overflow box, (this tank is not available predrilled) but I dont know what GPH I need...
- Return pump, dont know what GPH to get...
- Lighting: 200+ watts? Not sure what to get given the odd shape of the tank.
- Timer for lights. Something like the coralife power center.
- Salifert test kits:Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, Alkalinity, phosporous, Calcium, Magnesium... other?
- Scraper for glass
- Auto top off system
- RODI. 75GPD should be fine.
- Additives: Bionic 2 part, Kalkwasser, Iodine, other? Still learning this stuff
- Heaters
- IO salt.

My main concern with the equipment is high quality: quiet reliable pumps, reliable heaters, accurate test kits, etc.

I already have a refractometer and protein skimmer.
- Jack

All right, since you asked I guess I can give my honest opinion. I really think you will wish you got a bigger tank down the road. You sure you can't fit that 56 gallon bowfront there? If you have settled on the 36 gallon then I would suggest you decide what type of coral you want to keep before buying the lighting. If you want to keep sps I would suggerst a single 250w halide. If you want softies and/or lps you will probably be ok with T5 or pc.

There is nothing wrong with a smaller tank. I know plenty of people that have been very happy with them. Don't worry about the size. What you have room for is it :) I would love to have a 450 but I would have to add a room, not going to happen!.....yet ;)

You may not need to buy a bow front for the sump though.

You can't really know the flow and lighting until you have an idea on the contents.

Sorry I can't offer any help, but I am curious as to why you want a visible refugium? Is it because you like the way it looks, or is there a practical reason for this?

overflow, most are standard 1" single drain pipes. most can handle about 600 gph which should be plenty. check in the For sale forum, you can probably pick one up cheap, or i have 1 for sale if your interested.

return pump. good rule of thumb is about 3-5x turnover rate of your tank. Youd probably be fine with a mag drive as a return pump, and a few powerheads or a nice closed loop setup.

eheim also makes a great pump from what ive heard(better then mag)

The visible refugium is purely for asthetics. I have seen a couple of refugiums that were attractive in their own right, and it seems doable. May be more trouble than its worth though.

Back