My tangs school together..

PCguy21

In Memoriam
I always read tangs didnt like eachother always faught it was hard to get more then 1 in the tank blah blah.

But i noticed my tangs and foxface especially, school. Hang out together.

My yellow tang and naso tang and well before my powder brown died mysteriously and my foxface they all stay together.. i will watch my bigger naso tang move off and the foxface is like waiiiiit for me and the yellow tang will follow as well.. They always do this... usually my tank will have all my fish together bunched up and 80% of the rest of the tank is empty lol.

The only loner is my kole tang. Anyone else notice tangs and foxface tend to stay together like this ?

Aggression ramps up after they reach sexual maturity. They tend to be more tolerant when they are younger, especially towards fish they are used to. Add a new tang and it will be harassed.

Some tags also go berserk and kill almost every other fish that they compete after a long period of no signs of aggression. This is something that can happen overnight and probably also linked to sexual maturity. Some species are more susceptible to this, like purple tang, PB tang, naso tang, clown tang sohal tang, etc. The same way, some individuals are more tolerant than others and some are more aggressive. I think it is too early for you to make such conclusions. lets see how they behave, say, after 5 years.

Also, there is no rule as 1 tang per tank, it is dependent on tank size and specie. You can most likely keep a yellow tang, kole tang and naso tang in 180 gallon tank without any issues, but you wont be able to keep a sohal tang with any other tangs even in a 700 gallon tank. It is far more difficult to keep tangs from same genus together (in you case all are different genus) and tangs that are particularity territorial.

My PB Tang and SF Tang school together. Also recently added a brown Tang and only after 2 days it too appears to be with the other two most of the time. The other interesting thing I have noticed is that the brown tang is a prolific algae eater, the main reason I added it, and since the other tangs appear to have learned its behaviour and now eating far more algae than before. Tank really clean as a consequence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered about this...... lol

i will watch my bigger naso tang move off and the foxface is like waiiiiit for me and the yellow tang will follow as well..
My Purple, Desjardinii Sailfin, and Magnificent Foxface were all in QT together. They all act just like this, the Purple being the leader in my case.

Our recently added Powder Brown is odd man out in our bunch, but he still gravitates to the outskirts of the "group" when the sailfin or foxface lets him.

I find it a little funny and interesting that the "Boss" (Purple) lets his underlings handle the hierarchy below him.

Aggression ramps up after they reach sexual maturity. They tend to be more tolerant when they are younger, especially towards fish they are used to. Add a new tang and it will be harassed.

Some tags also go berserk and kill almost every other fish that they compete after a long period of no signs of aggression. This is something that can happen overnight and probably also linked to sexual maturity. Some species are more susceptible to this, like purple tang, PB tang, naso tang, clown tang sohal tang, etc. The same way, some individuals are more tolerant than others and some are more aggressive. I think it is too early for you to make such conclusions. lets see how they behave, say, after 5 years.

Also, there is no rule as 1 tang per tank, it is dependent on tank size and specie. You can most likely keep a yellow tang, kole tang and naso tang in 180 gallon tank without any issues, but you wont be able to keep a sohal tang with any other tangs even in a 700 gallon tank. It is far more difficult to keep tangs from same genus together (in you case all are different genus) and tangs that are particularity territorial.

5 years is a very long time though.. lol

I hear you but 5 years is still a long time.. 1 to 2 years creeps up on you but 5 by thrn ill have a bigger tabk anyway.. I already want a bigger tank then my 135 lol ive veen looking at 180+ tanks on facebook marketplace and craigslist and stuff. And i have local stores i csn trade fish in for credit if ever gets to be a problem

Not sure why, but I'm not able to post a video of 10-12 different tangs swimming together, back and forth the 8' length of my 450g tank

I wondered about this...... lol

My Purple, Desjardinii Sailfin, and Magnificent Foxface were all in QT together. They all act just like this, the Purple being the leader in my case.

Our recently added Powder Brown is odd man out in our bunch, but he still gravitates to the outskirts of the "group" when the sailfin or foxface lets him.

I find it a little funny and interesting that the "Boss" (Purple) lets his underlings handle the hierarchy below him.

The purple tang is not the boss , he is the Godfather ! Try placing a camera behind the rockwork , you'll see the other tangs kissing the purple tang fin . And I wouldnt be late in the feeding timing , you'll end up sleeping with the other fishes if you get what I mean . . . . .

My black tang and foxface swim together constantly. The black tang will swim in circles trying to get the foxface to follow it. The black tang gives up and swims to the other side then comes back almost nudging it to come with him. . Then he does for a bit then gets tired. I've come to the conclusion my rabbit fish is lazy. :) He likes swimming in one spot, then will swim around for a minute then parks... The black tang is constantly on the go, with places to see.... I had gotten a docile Blue throat trigger. The lfs had had him for 2-3 months. My rabbit fish was having none of it. Whacked him in the side with his tail. The next day the blue throat was dead. I'm guessing the foxface poisoned it, killed him within 24 hours.

Fish are violent! I will not be getting anything that's remotely similar in shape to my foxface.

Back