National Geagraphic Global Warming

I have been researching reef tanks for about a year now so I could start mine, and when I first started chatting everyone was telling me that DSB's were the way to go. Recently my LFS and everyone I chat with has said that they are "a disaster waiting to happen". I appreciate someone with real crediblity shedding some informed, intelligent, light on this subject.

PRINCE_NAMOR said:
I have been researching reef tanks for about a year now so I could start mine, and when I first started chatting everyone was telling me that DSB's were the way to go. Recently my LFS and everyone I chat with has said that they are "a disaster waiting to happen". I appreciate someone with real crediblity shedding some informed, intelligent, light on this subject.

Have you seen Eric's latest article in this month's Reefkeeping?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/eb/index.htm

I am relatively new to the hobby but it seems like a very touchy issue - to go DSB or not. The reality is far more complex. Depending on your BioLoad and feeding habits and also detritus accumulation you will see different things from DSB. I personally chose to go without a DSB as I had one "die" on me due to my bad behavior during my initial tank setup.
It is one of those things where you make a choice and you can make it work for you either way.

Cheers!

Back