Natrual Sea Water Causing coral Recession?

MrMudkip

My coral has recently started to recede on some of the clove polyps and my leather now has a bald spot type patch on it. The only change Ive made recently is doing water changes with some seawater that I collected from a beach nearby. Could this be the cause? or are high dissolved wastes more likely. I dont believe that the tank is full of nitrates and phosphates based on my tests.

I also have a tailspot blenny who sometimes nips at the leather but I doubt he is clearing chunks out. I dont have algae problems or anything like that that would suggest phosphates/nitrates.

hz07Kgx.jpg

GvwRs89.jpg

kcxb8Lb.jpg

Was the sea water collected direct from the beach or a few miles out? Generally, right from the beach is discouraged due to the beaches being essentially earths natural protein skimmer and can be high in dissolved solids or other runoff. With that said, it could be your issue but I don’t think the Benny would be causing your issue

Was the sea water collected direct from the beach or a few miles out? Generally, right from the beach is discouraged due to the beaches being essentially earths natural protein skimmer and can be high in dissolved solids or other runoff. With that said, it could be your issue but I don't think the Benny would be causing your issue

It was collected right near the shore at the cleanest beach I could find in the cape cod MA area. It does make sense though since all that foam washup is just like a skimmer

Not to mention possible parasites and other issues associated with pollution etc.
I can see collecting a legal and unusual species home to put in ( if you are certain its safe) but beach water on a mature delicate DT is just asking for a disaster IMHO.

I know here on LI the water parameters compared to that of our tanks is NOT the same & has to be adjusted for Calcium according to that aquarium out east.

Back