Natural light!

Jorsan

Anthony,

First all let me tell you that I enjoyed a lot your book! very different aproach to the same problems; great ideas and info; I use to reread it lots of times; congratulations!

One of the main issues for us as reefers is LIGHT, and your positive ideas about natural light helps a lot and makes me think about it. I live in the south of florida and have the posibility of use natural light for a new setup (will be a cube tank 37x37x25 sps-only). Because this tank will be inside my home (as you can imagine)I have to use some device to help me redirect the light to my tank. I was reading one thread in reefcentral calls "solatubes for reef tanks" and makes me think seriously about it; their website is www.solatube.com and they mention great things about their product. The main concern here is that I never saw a device like this working.

Im not asking that you have to give me a exact advice about it, just to know if you have any direct or indirect knowledge about this kind of products (please check their weebsite; there are some info) and if you think that I could have the benefits of the sun using this devices.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jorge

Cheers, Jorge!

It is a pleasure to hear from you, my friend.

I have not in fact had direct experience with light tubes (only direct sunlight through various glazing) but I have heard very favorable things regarding this product from fellow aquarists and colleagues. Ultimately though, it is likely to serve as a supplement only.

Before committing to them... get specs from the manufacturer first and see how much light is transferred and how much UV is admitted (we DO want some UV and would prefer to filter at our discretion rather than having a Low-E product with little or no UV at all).

Aside from that... if a SOuth or East facing window or a skylight is an option, they will likely provide better illumination.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best regards!

Anthony

Back