nbd13's Return...150g Custom Bare-bottom SPS/Angel/Modified Triton Method Reef

Small update:

- first fish in the DT, davinchi clowns went in yesterday.

- got a cleanup crew in as well along with a cleaner shrimp.

- got shipment from Adam [MENTION=37631]BAT[/MENTION]tleCorals today. I'm not into names much but got a nice bunch.

1. Poletti Yellow Tip
2. Glass Slipper
3. Miss Scarlet
4. BC Secale
5. Shades of Fall
6. Excaliber Millie
7. Soft Pink Millie

27a82921e8ecd558f17e7a98cd5f0c5d.jpg

8e617816ae2d4306e0e5c7bd20beea72.jpg

2210dd19a7211e235baa978a3242491a.jpg

510ec5339922eafd88bb42e97289f547.jpg

- Also don't want to jinx it, but got this gem from Divers Den, fingers crossed it starts eating...hopefully settling in to QT today and will eat tomorrow [emoji1695][emoji120]. Perfect size at 2 1/2"!

306e930951558e29e28b259741db7b32.jpg

That's all for now. Got the triton stuff for dosing and will be setting up DOS system this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful looking tank and magnificent plumbing. Definitely setting yourself up for success. I just wish you better luck than I had. Its taken me almost a year to get my tank stable enough for sps to start thriving.

Hopefully the Triton method works out well, and you got a really nice pack from BC to get started with. Remember to keep the corals spaced far enough apart!

Also I know you'll love the 5' width. I've got a red Sea 450, so ~90 gallons in 5' and the fishes love all of the horizontal swimming room. Probably a little narrow in my case for big coral colonies, but we'll see how it goes. You've got both the depth and width so that will fill in nicely.

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to watching this setup grow!

Beautiful looking tank and magnificent plumbing. Definitely setting yourself up for success. I just wish you better luck than I had. Its taken me almost a year to get my tank stable enough for sps to start thriving.

Hopefully the Triton method works out well, and you got a really nice pack from BC to get started with. Remember to keep the corals spaced far enough apart!

Also I know you'll love the 5' width. I've got a red Sea 450, so ~90 gallons in 5' and the fishes love all of the horizontal swimming room. Probably a little narrow in my case for big coral colonies, but we'll see how it goes. You've got both the depth and width so that will fill in nicely.

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to watching this setup grow!

Thanks. I measured PO4 with the Hanna ultra low meter and for 0.01.

Chaeto is growing like a weed, will have to harvest it soon I think.

Fingers crossed for the sps.

Quick update....

Since getting into this hobby 15 years ago, I dreamed about getting a conspic angel. I was young and in school, couldn't afford one, so settled for a blueline (was was an awesome fish).

Today as a birthday present from my awesome
Wife I got the go ahead and received my Captive bred Conspic Angel from Matt at POMA labs!!!!

What a treat! Matt was awesome to work with. He picked me out an awesome specimen! It arrived in a huge box for 1 fish:

0f94b6f2643d7e79c31173fff649f55c.jpg

Open the box to find this:

01458795bc275616ac1f614842b39c5d.jpg

The "œpull here" tab was awesome. It's always a pain to get the tape off from the lid. This tab took the tape right off!

Every fish comes with a certificate:

83ae7bd8580b4dcf68fd6dc45e4924c1.jpg

Matt took extra time to write a personalized note in their catalog which was very cool:

9d27f1279596b659f4dfff5cb9635a91.jpg

The fish was packed in a huge bag, with a ton of water.

Acclimated the fish and he's hanging out in my acclimation box for a few days so the tangs can get used to him. Sorry for the bad pictures. He's a little shy...but man is he FAT!

So excited about this!

8f1536c0ec79698c4c38b34022075237.jpg

837bc6860b6554317650a4b18a5d600d.jpg

Maybe this weekend when I have time I'll take some tank pictures and do a big update. More exciting fish coming too!

nbd13's Return...150g Custom Bare-bottom SPS/Angel/Modified Triton Method Reef

How's everything going? Conspic angel acclimating well?

Yes Conspic settled in well. The purple tang was being a brat to him, but they've settled down.

Tank is doing decent. SPS are growing and coloring up. Battling some cyano now. Tried red slime remover 2 days ago but didn't do anything.

Have more fish coming soon...

Also have more sps coming. Need to take some update shots. Have a few old colonies that are turning into gems.

Just wish the cyano problem would go away! PO4 is 0.01-0.05 on Hanna ultra low range. Granted some is being consumed by cyano. Think my nutrients may be too low? Not sure. Ideally would like PO4 a litttle higher.

Trying to source a trident as well....all has been around 7.9-8 which for this method is spot on.

How’s the regal doing?
As for cyano- early stages of the reef, I might be inclined to just hit the tank with cyano clean or red slime remover..
Is the cheato still growing? I find often whenever cyano starts, the cheato declines..if it’s still growing well, maybe add a couple hours to the cheato photoperiod and try one of then beneficial bacterial products out there. Maybe it’ll outcompete the cyano..
If cheato is declining, I bet the rsr will knock out the cyano and reinvigorate the cheato..

How's the regal doing?
As for cyano- early stages of the reef, I might be inclined to just hit the tank with cyano clean or red slime remover..
Is the cheato still growing? I find often whenever cyano starts, the cheato declines..if it's still growing well, maybe add a couple hours to the cheato photoperiod and try one of then beneficial bacterial products out there. Maybe it'll outcompete the cyano..
If cheato is declining, I bet the rsr will knock out the cyano and reinvigorate the cheato..

Hey!

So the regal stopped eating and didn't make it unfortunately. I was really bummed about it. All the other fish are doing well. I have another set of fish ready to come out of QT in 10 days so will update then. 2 cool ones.

So the chaeto is at a stand still. Not really growing. Tried dosing some
Iodine with no luck. So, i tried red slime remover last weekend. Nothing didn't help at all. Here's some pictures of the algae

22ba724209da0c330f4dc534d79f7083.jpg

54412ba4c117c15de52598e312c83548.jpg

Maybe Dino's? Not sure. Getting pretty annoying though.

My UV is running, my PO4 is 0.03-0.04, I've been using a turkey baster to blast off the rocks and I rinse off the chaeto every few days but I'm not winning the battle. The good news is the corals are doing well. Decent color and growing. Just got a few more pieces. Need to get some updated pictures but hate this algae.

Update time...

Tank has been so, so lately...been battling this algae, not sure what it is. Thought it was Cyano, was taking over my chaeto. The chaeto was growing like a weed, then slowed way down. I dosed some red slime remover just over a week ago with little effect. Maybe it's dyno's?

247923d0244808d8e9882894db980762.jpg

It's really too bad because besides that everything has been coming along nicely. Finally have this ghost overflow tuned. The only annoying this is whenever you clean anything and the return pump looses gph the overflow needs some tweaking. Which is very annoying.

We lost power for about 2 hours yesterday, everything was fine, but my wife suggested we get that whole house generator now rather than wait! She said she was worried about my tank haha! Knew I found a good one.

Still trying to locate a trident that should be the last piece of equipment I need/want for a while.

The all has been pretty stable at around 8.0-8.4 with dosing the triton method.

The fish list:

- 2 Davinchi Clowns
- Powder blue tang
- Purple Tang
- 2 borbonius anthias
- POMA Captive bred Conspic Angel

I have 4 more fish coming out of QT in about 8-10 days. Stay tuned for that.

Corals:

All sps so far, except a hammer and torch coral. I envision more torches and some zoas to fill in the bottom of the tank and a few select chalices then the rest sps.

So far I've gotten 1 battlebox from Battle Corals. Adam was awesome to work with, but just not for me. So...

I'm taking a different path that 90% of people, instead of paying for expensive named pieces for a 1/2" frag I'm going mostly wild colonies. People probably think I'm crazy, but back when I used to do this 12-18 years ago there were few named pieces, frags were usually 1-3", now these are "œmini colonies"?!?! Just can't get over it...these designer corals are insane. It's hard to even get an accurate picture or know which vendors don't alter pictures or take them under blue lighting.

Anyways, rant over. So, I got about 6 wild colonies 6-8 weeks ago and most of them have encrusted to their spots already. Then I just got 6 more a few days ago. Time will tell

A few full tank shots just to document. These are from my iPhone. Some are with no filter and then some are with the orange filter from polyplabs:

b105bcfc99d1589a265a820e193a9f33.jpg

80e92cd8e459bc68929a5740021040d5.jpg

47f8860566f26fe7077d363f7de539b2.jpg

740dc8e4127de300013bc14c8389e358.jpg

7559cc18a6fc52f08bca31524747df73.jpg

983672064812b2ec89eecabb85e1f7e5.jpg

Anyways that's it for now.

Small update:

Added 4 new fish to the display after graduating from QT!

- Small 3" bandit angel
- Joculator angel
- Lineatus wrasse
- Pintail wrasse

All are doing great, eating and everyone seems to be getting along so far besides the occasional flare from the purple tang.

Also added 2 Mexican turbos and 20 Trochus snails tonight to see if I can combat these stupid Dino's. Also started dosing H2O2 for the past 4 nights at 1ml/10 gallons so roughly 17 ml total ever night. So far no change. From what I read it can take 5-6 nights before a difference is seen.

Some pictures. These fish are hard to capture!

0c149fc36567bf277ea0ed2296e7dc52.jpg

0cb20c4f4d3afb780e864b2cc7c385a0.jpg

270f7842d3e7cc5ad9b458ffe3728ff6.jpg

3560d1227ccdfe80c37468e479637fe3.jpg

14fea00efaec0b1db67364cf2ba01322.jpg

5ed0cb258882e4b60442578bf1434026.jpg

Hey man, great looking setup! How is the algae battle going? I have seen this problem a few times, I think you should take your macro algae out, it should help let your other algaes grow to help compete for the minimal nutrients the dinos have a hold on.

How are all the corals doing? Any polyp extension lol.

Awesome build. I love the 150g dimensions wish I would have just bought that instead of settling for the 120g. Love the fish list can’t wait to see the rest of them and the sps grown.

Hey man, great looking setup! How is the algae battle going? I have seen this problem a few times, I think you should take your macro algae out, it should help let your other algaes grow to help compete for the minimal nutrients the dinos have a hold on.

How are all the corals doing? Any polyp extension lol.

Thanks. I actually took the chaeto out today. Also started feeding heavier. Added 12 Mexican turbos, hopefully this stuff isn't toxic to them...

SPS are starting to get Dino's on their tips, very upset about this as they were doing awesome before these stupid Dino's came along!

I cleaned my UV today and think the bulb might be broke, one of the metal tabs broke off and is loose within the UV lamp tube...SO I'm hopefully the replacement I have coming Wednesday will help my problem!

Fingers crossed as I fear I might loose some sps if these don't go away soon!

Back