NCPARS School Tank

I am sure we can work on it with the school. Have them contact me via phone or email.

rickyfins@hotmail.com

814-312-4489

we can consult and see what exactly their intentions are and how serious they are about learning what it takes. I am looking forward to the call or email.

Keep it up guys!

Sorry it took me awhile to see this thread. It has been very busy here at Bloomsburg HS. We are under renovations..which means I was without an actual classroom while they remodeled mine for the past couple of months. I just moved back in today.

Due to the renovations, it was difficult getting our maintenance men to take the time to set up our RO/DI system. We have now installed our tank and we have our saltwater mixing in it right now. Our next step is to go down to Something Fishy to pick up our liverock.

Our school has purchased all the equipment for the tank. We did get some coral donations at the last swap. However, if anyone would be willing to make donations that I could pick up at the PSU swap, that would be great. I have some stuff from my own tank to add once the school tank has cycled, but it will seem like a drop in the bucket of this 120g tank.

The kids in my class thought it was so exciting when the tank got cloudy from mixing the salt....I can't imagine when we actually have some stock in the tank. I have an idea the Biology room will be the most popular room in the school.

Thanks for any help you can give to the project. I will be sure to post pics once it looks like something other than an empty tank. :)
Dyan

Thanks Sanjay! :)

I told Jim, the Biology teacher who has taken on this project, that I was going to ask for donations for the tank and he looked dumbfounded. He said, "You mean people would actually give pieces of their corals for our tank?" I can't wait for him to get into the hobby and start meeting all the nice people that we have.

Dyan

Wow! Great! Thanks!

I'm not sure how Williamsport or any of the other schools have handled it in the past, but I'd like to keep a record of who has donated what to the tank. For one thing, the kids can send thank you cards (as the Student Council advisor in my school I'm a big one for the kids showing their gratitude). For another, I'd think this could be used as a tax write off for some people.
Ricky, your thoughts?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11738143#post11738143 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Murph72
Thanks Sanjay! :)

I told Jim, the Biology teacher who has taken on this project, that I was going to ask for donations for the tank and he looked dumbfounded. He said, "You mean people would actually give pieces of their corals for our tank?" I can't wait for him to get into the hobby and start meeting all the nice people that we have.

Dyan

Make sure you bring him to the frag swap.

sanjay.

I will certainly try, but Saturdays are hard for him. His wife is a crafter and she goes to shows on the weekends. It is his job to take her crafts and supplies and set up her stand for her at all these events.
Not that his wife runs the show or anything. :D
Wives don't usually do that, right? Btw, I've already informed Tim that he has to clear his calendar for the date of the swap...does that demostrate the wives running the show? :lol:

Dyan, I will try to round up some things for you and bring them to the swap! I hope this will help out a bit.

We will do a donations drive at the swap again for your school and others if we have more interest.

Ricky,
That would be great. :)
Jim (the Science teacher whose tank this is) and I are hoping to make a trip on Friday to get the liverock and sand for the tank to start getting some life in there. It will be ready to get livestock then from the swap. We're definitely excited to finally get the tank started. I'll definitely be posting pics of the progress for all those that want to see where their donations are going.
Dyan

Anyone want to start committing to a donation to either Lflint or Murph72 school project prior to the swap?

They can really use your help. We are looking for anything they can use! We will also be holding a donations drive at the swap for the two schools we are currently supporting.

Update: Bloomsburg High School's tank got liverock, live sand, and two clowns on Thursday :)
We're starting to see some progress!
It should be more than ready for any donations of coral that we receive at the swap.

I would like to make some room in my tanks before the swap, and have some large peices of leathers that I would like to give to the schools if they are interested.

Can anyone pick them up before the swap. ? In the next month or so ?

sanjay.

Sanjay,
I will talk to my faculty and see if anyone will be able to pick them up for us. Anything large would be great as we have nothing right now. I'll let you know ASAP if I can line anyone up for this.
Thanks for the offer.
Dyan

My name is Andy and my wife is a biology teacher at Scranton High School. I would be interested in doing something. Please respond. My home number is (570) 842-3870.

A~

Hi Andy. I couldn't tell from your post if you were thinking of just helping/donating to one of the existing 3 tanks, or thinking of starting your own school project. Why don't you take a look at our main website, ncpars.org, there is a section of info on the 3 current school projects there, and a document on what kind of the support ncpars hopes to offer. If you are thinking of starting a new project, with some planning you could probably get donations of almost all the equipment needed to start a project. The commitment from the school is sometimes the hardest thing to get.

I'm about to leave town for about 2 weeks, but send me a message and I'll be happy to chat more when I'm back.

Scott Bennett
NCPARS President (as of July 1)

Hi everyone. At the main NCPARS website, ncpars.org, there are now separate pages for the 3 school projects being supported by club members. Take a look, there is some basic info about each setup there, and there are pictures up for one of them. [Pictures on Dyan's Williamsport project will be up as soon as Rick can get them up, and some updated info on Carl and Mary's will be up too.]

Back