NCPARS thread about REEFNEST

zooqi

Dr. Zooqi
Premium Member
since REEFNEST was mentioned there few times I thought I let everybody know about this thread.
NCPARS

mo i think i spoke out loud in my responce to that...oops...guess i wont be in ncpars for a little while...lol, alot of them people are too worried about themselves i think...its ashame you have to give away your familes food so other people can eat...thats just an analogy, but you get the point...tierra says thanks....

i have been following that thread for a while and i see a lot of problems with that club. seems like they are more interested in getting NPO than actually having a good club. we need to learn from there mistakes

Mo, I read the post. It was hard to read that they don't think educating Pa is important. I would just like to say that I remember when you started working with Aaron. He was so excited to meet someone else in the hobby. and not just anyone, someone who was constantly teaching him more and inspiring him to try new things with his tank. that and giving him responsibilities in this club and helping him find new corals and just in general giving him a leadership position. All he ever talks about is his fish tank and how much it means to him but I must say that your influence in his education has been amazing.

Then you could move on to my tank and all the education that you have given me on setting it up. I find it hard to believe that others don't think this education is important. It is hard to read that others think that what you spend all day, everyday doing is not important to them. I just wanted to let you know that I think you are doing an amazing job and anything I can do to help, I will. Not just spouting words there either. :)

Thank you guys and yes we do learn and to be honest not that I help educate somebody, I get my education from others too. I have learned alot from Aaron and why would I not since he has a brain of

einstein.jpg

I don't mind helping anybody who is willing to be part of a good cause. Aaron has helped me alot and he is a founder of this club too. He has taken this club and he knows where se standing so far. Someday he will be helping (he alread is) new reefers. I know the person did not mean what he typed about PA as he is a good guy and will do anything to help. We will try to teach PA stuff about the ocean someday and can take my words and carve them on the stone and it will happen with all the help we have from those who want to help. I learned from you too and first thing I learned is to have a brother who has nice corals to take frags out of his tank for free and good to see that you guys work together on this and discuss your aquarium here. So we are not bunch of reefers here but family.

thanks mo,
i was deffinately surprised about the education is not what we want to do comment. he said something like most of the members are older and dont care about educating others. i think that is kinda selfish, its not like were asking them to teach a class or something just spend some time educating someone whether its kids or not.
it is sort of hard to fathom not wanting to teach kids in a time when scientists predict coral reefs could be extinct in 40 years. i remember hearing that on the discovery channel about 5 years ago and here i am. hopefully seeing corals in some of these schools will spark interest like me and i know it already has.
the only problem i have with reefnest is the money issue. Mo shouldnt have to do all the work and pay for everything. if it is going to be under reefnests name then more members should be helping out. i think at the next meeting we need to talk about diys that we can do and sell for the may swap
one thing that really made me mad about what fizz said was comments like these:
Reefnest is not a legitimate organization!
That means that in the eyes of the government, the eyes of the law, and the eyes of general society Reefnest is no different than anybody going to a school or schools and starting a "star trek club" or "homework club" and holding bake sales to raise money.

does this guy work for the government or something?
in my eyes a club should be a club not because the government says so but because it is an active group of people who are doing something. he does make a point about people might be less likely to donate things if they dont think it is a club, but have we had any problems with this? Fizz also makes it look like we are begging for donations from them. it would be nice to get a thousand dollar check but mo knows that if we get it there will be so many complaints about if the money was spent right and what did it pay for that it is easier to just pay out of pocket for the things we need.
but besides all of this i hope that NCPARS gets new BOD soon and starts fresh

what aaron has learned from you, I have learned from him. it is a good cycle. I like being his guinea pig. this way he had a new tank to set up and he still has new ideas for my tank. I think it is like having a second tank for him, only he doesn't have to pay for anything in it... :)

I guess there are some people who just want to enjoy the hobby and some people who realize that educating other is the only way to make sure that the hobby still has a home in the future. different views for people who love the same thing.

hey mo
you know where i stand,you know the funny thing is that the 1 person that held back things from going forward hasn't posted or answered 1 email.i think you know who,as this is a touchy area.

i hope to meet you guys in person tonight(put faces to names)

mo,
i a side note i think one of my new clowns got bit anything i can do to help it from possibly dyeing? i put some stress coat in my tank to help it's slime coating.

I don't even live in your state, but since trouble has a habit of finding my opinion and getting together; I'll post here.
I disagree with:
"I am NOT interested in supporting a tank or tanks that I do not have access to"
Giving support to things that you can't see makes it a bit more self-less, in my opinion. It's like the Christian Children's Fund. Seriously, could you be like, "I'm not supporting a child that I won't have custody of!" If you want to be generous, and support something you believe in. Do it. If not? I disagree with bringing REEFNEST or Mo as "an example" or comparison to their own group.
Mo, I almost wonder if it's way too much effort and hassle to even deal with NCPARS as even a parent/umbrella organization. They aren't interested in helping you. The school's tanks should be credited to "Private donations of ________, with the help of REEFNEST". Since you are the larger operating arm and brain of those tanks.
On a separate note, I am sooo appreciative of the Upstate Reef Society. No membership dues, very educational, great rapport, no worries of insurance purposes, we have one of the most active local forums on reef central...
You guys should move. :D

You guys are awesome! I like how ya think. I have been trying to express this time and time again! I would love to meet you all and your children. This is an important issue that will be solved sooner or later. Politics man, they think it is all political and offical. I know that the NPO status was important to some, but even if you have it doesn't mean anything in all reality. A club with that status has to show what it is doing so that it can show the world some good. I hope to see you all at a future NCPARS swap. Heck come on out to the next one, well when ever that is, and vote for the new BOD and officials!!

thanks,

Rick

spoken like true reefer...good job steph, check out the things i actually wrote in there forum, there prolly upset seeing me in there, ya know since im no member of ncpars...and i too like the upstate forum, everyone talks and ask questions and they dont do politcial fights all over...im always checkin in out up there, but of course maybe im just seeing if your there stephy...lol...that spoon hes good...lol

Mo:
Is it true you do not have a tank at home? If you do, do you have pictures?
Spoon25:
I did read a bit of what you wrote, the lack of paragraphs & capitalization/punctuation make it really hard for someone with attention deficit though.
So what you're reeeeally trying to say.... is that you're net-stalking me...?

Well just to comment I believe that the best place to educate is the younger children. At the age of 10 you could have really drawn me in by all the facts of the sea and reefs. On the other hand at the age of 14 or so if you would have tried talking to me about reefs and the sea you would have had to be a beautiful girl in a miniskirt or I wasnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t listening. On in to high school the same thing stands.

I have calmed down allot since then and have a couple of hobbies that mean a lot to my family and me.

I was speaking to my wife about the why I think people need to be educated in the ocean and its inhabitants. Her reply was sound in its own sense that preserving life in the ocean can't be shown in a display tank anywhere due to it all being harvested from the ocean in fact hurting it for our enjoyment. My response was that similar to FRDs was if in 40 years witch I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t see it being that soon but I do see it going down hill due to global warming that reefs may not exist after time and all their will be left of them will remain in home aquariums.

I can't make the call myself weather even having a tank in your home is wrong or not but I am trying to buy only aqua cultured fish and corals for my tank.

Stephany, I do have 5 small tanks upstairs, 5 small tanks in the basement and a 300 gallon rubbermaid for frags in the basement that is connected to 33 long. I did have alot more before but I decided to give my tanks to schools.

Well, I think is time we let NCPARS figure out what they want to do and we need to go on with our projects and stuff. Four of us went for a nice ride today and we discussed alot of stuff how to improve the club and came up with great ideas that I will be sharing with everybody this weekend.

we belong to ncpars & sv-sea, both clubs have some really good people in them.i dont think the computer lets you say what you really mean at times, and you can sound like you are saying something you don't realy mean. mo is a great person to give so much of his time and $$. a lot of people live to far away to be much help with his school work. and do not have the extra cash, we would love to help him more, its a 3hr drive just to get there, so we give what we can. mo hang in there and keep up the good work -Dane & Donna

im done with npars.

mo , dont let npars hitchike onto the great job you and others have done with reefnest.

trust me! lfs would much rather support the pursuit of education of young reefers than a club that pretends to....

Back