need advice on my stand. paint or stain?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6511072#post6511072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigJPDC
Seriously, a filled and sanded 16 or 18 gauge brad hole is practically invisible, especially with darker stain. If all the putty work on the top will be covered by the tank and more edging, then you could just just finish off the front and stain to your preference.

Painted or stained, it really just has to match your decor or preference.

jp
Thats what i figured about the holes buit i went ahead ans painted it. it came out better than i thought. i'm very happy with out come.

Show us a picture with the holes sanded down so we know how big of a filler "spot" you'll have. BigJPDC may have a point. If the holes are small enough it may look ok. Another issue you may have is with using two different woods. I found this out the hard way building / staining my stand currently. Different woods take the stain differently.

One other thing on application. If you can spray it with a gun, that usually turns out the best. I was advised that if it was possible for me to do so, do it that way. Otherwise you'll have to brush / roll. Just my .02

Right on GoldStripe - stick to the same wood, unless you are creating accents on purpose. I built a humidor out of scrap wood I had lying around, and used pine with poplar for edging. Holy cow was that thing ugly when I tried to use cherry stain from a can that I also found opened.

jp

If you use water based stain it will have a more uniform coat on different wood vs oil based stain. The wood putty marks caused me some headaches too (I just did this a few weeks ago).

Afterwards, I covered with 4 coats of polycryilic (water based) and then 3 coats of polyeurathane

Thanks to all replies and advice i painted the stand and i couldnt be happier exactly the look i wanted. Here are some pics havent done dooors yet cause im having problems with hinges.
DSCN2769.jpg

DSCN2768.jpg

Just fyi (I can't tell from your picture), I also painted the interior on my stand w/ oil based semi gloss white paint. This supposedly provides better reflection for the refugium lighting and also stops the wood from absorbing any spills that <strike>might</strike> will happen.

Yes do use White. Some dummy did mine with black. LOL

But yes painting it is a must not an option.

You will be glad you did the first time it is full of water and it will be sooner or later. Again not an option water will find a way to get in your cabinet. LOL

Just a quick note to those wanting to stain in the future....stain first, don't use wood putty.

After stain a coat of sanding sealer. Then get a matching wood putty and/or tint your own. Sand and polyeuythane.

If careful with nail placement behind trim, etc...you should see very little.

Wood putty that claims it is stainable will always show IME

Just a suggestion on the paint for the inside. We used a Marine/Boat paint, it is like painting with thick pudding, but it seals great and is a breeze to clean. It's a little expensive, IMO worth it.

Back