Need Advice.

bwitchn

Here I Go Again: Back in the hobby- Need Advice
Hi Reef Community:

I've been in the hobby a very long time. Left the hobby in 2017 for personal reasons. Getting back in to find myself overwhelmed with so many great improvements in equipment, lighting etc.

Considering the following options for a mixed reef tank:

Red Sea 425XL
Red Sea Peninsula 500
Red Sea Max S-400

Leaning towards the peninsula. What are your recommendations in comparing the above 3 choices?

Also, if I decide on the Peninsula 500, what:
1. lighting recommended for a mixed reef?
2. Pump
3. Dosing equipment
4. Powerheads

Thank you soooo much

Mary

A lot of what you want is going to depend on your price range. LED, T5, and Halide are still the light choices with LED being the primary, however many people still run mixed of LED and T5, Halide and LED, Halide and T5, etc.

Return pumps I can’t help out with as that’s not my strong suit. I know I run a Jebao return pump but there are other brands that people say are more reliable

I don’t have a need to dose on my system but it’s going to depend on what you want. Kamoer dosing pumps are good quality but I’ve seen people run the major brands without issue too

Powerheads, again it depends on budget. A popular style right now is the gyre pumps and Vortech MP pumps. However any powerhead will do. It’s just going to be how you arrange them, depending on the flow rate, and flow angle. Bulk Reef Supply recently did a video on flow angle/dispersion

Back