Need an ID please

dzovi

Need an id of this. It is a couple of cm long and seems to be slowly spreading.

IDNeeded.jpg

Thank you.

Yellow polyps? Not sure, but that's what it looks like. If so, it tends to spread, but concentrated and confined to an isolated rock it can provide a spot of color.

Yellow polyps? Not sure, but that's what it looks like. If so, it tends to spread, but concentrated and confined to an isolated rock it can provide a spot of color.

Looks like some type of hydroids to me. Try doing a online search for hydroids or colonial hydroids. There are many different types of hydroids. If this is one I would kill it now. Hydroids will spread like weeds and they pack a powerful sting.

No, I was hoping it was something that I could keep. What the best way to get rid of these guys?

You can remove the rock from the tank and scrub it in a bucket of salt water and then rinse the rock before replacine it into the tank. I just recently had to remove about 200lbs of rock that was infested with hydroids. There were a few pieces that only had a small patch of hydroids on them, maybe a inch or two in diameter, I just left those in the tank and used a hard toothbrush to basically grind them into oblivion. They have not spread to other parts of my tank by doing it this way, but I seem to keep missing a small spec, because they keep growing back in the same spot. I am however slowly winning this battle finally.

Back