Need DIY'er to automate my water management.

edshern

I have a 92 Gallon FOWLR in my living room with a basement sump. Getting too old to lift buckets around so I need
to fully automate water management. If you have the skill and want to make a some money I will offer a fair payment! Contact me at edshern@gmail.com

Can you use a Brute can by the sump for new water?
Is there a place to drain the old water?
If so it's easy peasy.
No money needed.

Mine is very simple and super reliable. Just use a high quality dual head peristaltic pump. One head pumps water out from your tank to your drain. The other head pumps fresh SW from a reservoir to your tank. I literally don’t even think about water changes. I just mix my fresh SW twice a month and my system changes water continuously every day.

CC414ABB-F230-49CD-ABB5-9BEE61647D46.jpeg

Mine is very simple and super reliable. Just use a high quality dual head peristaltic pump. One head pumps water out from your tank to your drain. The other head pumps fresh SW from a reservoir to your tank. I literally don’t even think about water changes. I just mix my fresh SW twice a month and my system changes water continuously every day.

View attachment 32370945
I just found your YouTube channel and subscribed. Thanks @kharmaguru

I have a 92 Gallon FOWLR in my living room with a basement sump. Getting too old to lift buckets around so I need
to fully automate water management. If you have the skill and want to make a some money I will offer a fair payment! Contact me at edshern@gmail.com
I use the Amazon Plug to control the pumps.

Simple, cheap, and efficient.

I have two pumps:

1. Main return pump on my basement. Pan World 100X, connected on Amazon Plug named "Main Pump".
2. Water change/Fill pump. Pan World 40, connected on Amazon Plug named "Water Change Pump".

When doing a water change:

* On Amazon Alexa App, turn off pump #1.
* Open the drain pipe valve, and close the Saltwater Brute valve pipe.
* Turn on pump #2 to throw water into the drain.

After the water goes to the level I need:

* Turn off pump #2.
* Close the drain valve pipe and open the Saltwater Brute pipe.
* Turn on pump #2 until the water reaches the level needed.
* Turn off pump #2.
* Turn on pump #1.
* Go play with my kids. 😁

I can automate the valve opening/closing with solenoids - also plugged on Amazon Plug, then I could automate these steps in the app, by simply clicking on "10 gal water change" or "20 Gal Water change". It's just a matter to control the time the pump runs.

But I think you can go semi-automatic at a lower cost, and simply like this. You just need to do the plumbing in your saltwater mixing station on pump #2.

BarIzoN

Hi guys, Finally had time to get back to this. Being retired and not working is really time consuming :)
THANK YOU soooo much for your answers, pictures and help. I'll look them over and see if I can figure
them out (Peristalic????) This is like explaining Heart Surgery to a Crash Test Dummy! But maybe I'll get lucky.
Back soon. I used to know how to post pictures, Maybe I can try showing you the setup. Thank again, Ed

Can you use a Brute can by the sump for new water?
Is there a place to drain the old water?
If so it's easy peasy.
No money needed.
Hi, I do have 2 40 gallon (ish) Brutes by the sump. One for RODI & one for salt water. Biggest issue is vacuuming gravel from main tank on main floor, and moving that water to the basement drain, where the sump, rodi & salt water is. Then moving new salt water from it's brute to refill sump, then rodi water from it's brute to salt brute. rinse, repeat.

Peristaltic is just a type of pump, rollers over tubing forcing fluid through the tubing.
If yo want a semi-auto system -- drain water --- refill from container in the basement via a plumbed line to the tank.
It really is that easy.

This is my new daily water change setup.
I use the Amazon Plug to control the pumps.

Simple, cheap, and efficient.

I have two pumps:

1. Main return pump on my basement. Pan World 100X, connected on Amazon Plug named "Main Pump".
2. Water change/Fill pump. Pan World 40, connected on Amazon Plug named "Water Change Pump".

When doing a water change:

* On Amazon Alexa App, turn off pump #1.
* Open the drain pipe valve, and close the Saltwater Brute valve pipe.
* Turn on pump #2 to throw water into the drain.

After the water goes to the level I need:

* Turn off pump #2.
* Close the drain valve pipe and open the Saltwater Brute pipe.
* Turn on pump #2 until the water reaches the level needed.
* Turn off pump #2.
* Turn on pump #1.
* Go play with my kids. 😁

I can automate the valve opening/closing with solenoids - also plugged on Amazon Plug, then I could automate these steps in the app, by simply clicking on "10 gal water change" or "20 Gal Water change". It's just a matter to control the time the pump runs.

But I think you can go semi-automatic at a lower cost, and simply like this. You just need to do the plumbing in your saltwater mixing station on pump #2.

BarIzoN
First, this is great, and Thank You soooo much. 2- In my long life, I've learned, "All you gotta do" is three of the scariest words in the English language :) 3- I LOVE THIS, but don't have a clue how to it, which was why I was looking for help (ie- What's a solenoid, Brute (i did look this one up), my kids are 40 LOL, Do I have an Alexa App? See what I mean. BUT, this is what I want to do.

Peristaltic is just a type of pump, rollers over tubing forcing fluid through the tubing.
If yo want a semi-auto system -- drain water --- refill from container in the basement via a plumbed line to the tank.
It really is that easy.
Thanks Vinny, I need a way to do this so that if I get sick (like when I had open heart surgery), I can write down instructions for my wife, who has no clue what any of this stuff is. Grateful that money is not a factor for this project.

Back