Need expert chemist input, SPS irritated when I raise alk above 6.5 dkh??????

jlinzmaier

Premium Member
I first posed this question in the SPS forum but we went through all the logical thoughts and decided to have you chemistry experts take a crack at it. I'm goign to provide a lot of detail here to try to answer basic questions and provide as much info about my system as I can. Here's the deal:

I've been battling this silly problem for about two years now. If/when I try to raise my alk past 6.5 dkh I seem to seriously irritate my SPS. I get a definitive lack of polyp extension followed by STN throughout areas of the entire corals tissue (not just the base or the tips - tissue begins to recess at all areas of the corals skeleton). My tanks chemistry is very stable except for when I try to adjust alk up or down.

It just makes absolutely no sense to me. I can change absolutely nothing for weeks and things will be fine (with the exception of what I think is relatively slow SPS growth and all but a complete lack of corraline algae growth). As soon as I try increasing the alk level I get complete lack of polyp ext (day and night) and many sps (monti's, acro's, and stylo's) start to develop STN at various areas (base, tips, and throughout the body of the coral). The more I raise the alk the more tissue loss develops and the faster it occurs.

I always make any adjustments very slowly (never more than 0.5 dkh spaced over a 24 hr period and never more than a 1dkh shift in a week. I've tried raising alk by dosing a bit more kalk over several weeks time and still had trouble. I thought maybe the increase in pH was irritating the corals. I then backed it down let the tank recover for about 2 months then I tried raising alk by increasing my ca reactor effluent rate. Once I hit 7 or higher it all goes downhill. I also tried raising alk with soda ash from BRS and got the same effect.

I don't do any carbon source dosing. My ca is stable at 400 and I realize that dosing more kalk or increasing the ca reactor effluent rate will increase ca but not enough to make a detrimental impact of any sort. My mag is always stable at 1300.

I just don't get it. I can tell if my alk is drifting above 6.5dkh because the lack of polyp ext in my monti verrucosa is the first noticed.

Any thoughts on why this would happen?? I have really slow growth in my SPS and many corals haven't grown more than a cm or two over the past 2 years. I also have little to no corraline algae growth and I'm sure they are both related to low alk levels.

I have tested my ELOS kits against two different control solutions from different manufacturers and the kit always read the solution as it's labeled. I've tested with Salifert and get a reading about 1-1.5 dkh higher.

I do notice I seem to get a fair amount of sand clumping in the areas of highest flow. I'm assuming that would be caco3 precipitation because some of the chunks turn completely rock hard. I even had some caco3 precipitation onto my chaeto a few weeks ago????? This seems odd to me that it would occur at alk levels of 6.5-7 dkh. I've never gotten the alk past 7.5 dkh because the corals begin to look so stressed I'm afraid I might kill them if I continue on.

I dose the ca reactor effluent and kalk into my sump (at opposite ends) and it is always mixed into the water nicely before it returns to the display. I dose kalk constantly throughout the day as well as using my ca reactor to keep up with what my kalk can't (don't have a lot of evaporation).

What's completely baffling and very frustrating is that many friends have gotten frags from me and they maintain their alk levels at 9 or 10 dkh and the corals they get from me thrive. In their tanks the corals grow at what I would consider normal or fast and they have spectacular polyp extension.

I can even see coral irritation and lack of polyp extension when I do a small water change with a salt mix like IO or RC which has a high alk level.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Does anyone else have trouble like this??

I'm almost to the point of having my water sent off to ENC labs to have a full analysis to see if some heavy metals are out of wack and precipitating out onto the corals surface when alk levels rise. That's the only "shot in the dark" guess that I can come up with at this point.

I did dose two part exclusively for about 6 months and the problem still persisted when I tried to raise alk. I tried both sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate thinking that the pH may be the key but both alk supplements of the two part irritated the corals just the same when I tried to raise alk. I've tried every combination of ca/alk supplementation as well as each one individually and always the same response.

Stabiliy. Definately the key factor in SPS general health, growth, and nice polyp ext. I go great lengths to maintain stability. Unless I'm intentionally trying to raise alk (or backing it down after the corals get irritated from the increase) my water params are rock solid. I keep my alk at 6.5 dkh and for the last year I've tested almost daily. I'm able to keep it from shifting at all unless I intenionally experiment with yet another attempt at raising it. I don't try to raise alk levels often but once every couple months I give it a shot with a different method hoping to find the key to letting me maintain my alk level a little higher without stressing the SPS.

My ca is always solid at 400 and mag at 1300. I don't think they've shifted at all in the last year. I don't dose anything to keep mag where it's at, I simply rely on water changes and that has kept it stable.

I had my system set up to do 10 gallon water changes automatically every day but I had a pump go out and for the last month I've been doing about 25 gallons two times a week. I currently use a combination of 50% tropic marin pro reef and 50% instant ocean. I have a system which has a total volume of about 600-700 gallons so a 50% or 100% water change is pretty much out of the question. I have the ability to do a 100 gallon water change at one time and I've done that a few times. A couple times with just tropic marin pro reef, once with instant ocean, and once with a 50% mix of each. The SPS seemed slightly stressed with the water changes using tropic marin. The SPS were very stressed with the 100 gallon change using IO - very likely due to the high alk value of IO salt mix. The 50/50 (tropic marin/IO) water change showed more irritation than the plain tropic marin water change but less than the IO water change (correlating irritation directly to alk values of the salt mixes).

I do have a very low nutrient system. I have little to no nuisance algea growth other than a little derbesia that none of my animals will eat. I run an algea turf scrubber and grow chaeto. I get very little growth on the algea turf scrubber and the chaeto grows at a snails pace. For a while the chaeto was actually dying off. My nitrate was always undetectable and po4 (per hanna photometer) was consistently reading 0.02 or less. With the chaeto dying off I started feeding my fish lots of food trying to get more nutrients into the system. The fish get fed a huge amount now every day and I finally have nitrate detectable at approx 2 and po4 last read at 0.03. The chaeto has stopped dying and is now growing but very slow (still only a slight amount of slime algae on the glass that the builds up so slow I only need to clean the glass every 2 weeks (not because I'm lazy, just because it takes 2 weeks to get enough built up on the glass so I can notice it). I've recently started dosing the ELOS amino acid supplement and their product called pro skimmer which I believe is a DOC/carbohydrate concoction for corals. I thought for a while that my system may be reacting like some do when people are using bacterial proliferation. In those cases (although unclear etiology) the systems must have alk maintained at levels below 8dkh to prevent burnt tips on SPS. Well, I can't even hit 7 without serious irritation! I'm not dosing any carbon sources and the coral tissue loss is at more than just the tips. It was just a thought since my nutrient levels are quite low.

I have a 4 stage RO/DI unit and TDS is always 0 with my inline meters. I have a comTDS-100 which I routinely check my water with (in addition to the inline monitors that I check every time I turn on the RO/DI unit). Once the inline monitors read anything but 0 or my com TDS reads anything greater than 0.7 I change the DI resin and evaluate if the sediment or carbon blocks need to be changed. I take good care of my RO/DI unit.

It was very kind of ostrow to do some reasearch and link to my local water source analysis to see if my source water had high levels of any trace element that could be getting post my RO/DI.

Wow, Jeremy, I have no insights. You seem to have covered everything.

I know a couple of dedicated hobbyists who have never been able to keep SPS alive and their husbandry is spot-on, as seems yours.

Not that I have any ideas, but can you say something about your water source? Are you on well water? Lake? Have you ever seen a detailed analysis of the source water? One should be available either from your municipality or the county. I found this but they should have a more detailed report you can see:

http://vil.edgar.wi.us/ccr.htm

It may be worth a shot. I'm not at all clear why a change in alkalinity would affect things like you report but it may offer a key to the oddball lack of growth.

You might also consider posting in the reef chemistry forum, as this has to be a chemical problem of some sort. At least, that's what I read from this.

Good luck!

I contacted the person in that report and he is going to get me a full water analysis report next week. He said they are also doing water testing again this year and will send me the full report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil3
After reading your first post I was going to ask if you were using tropic marin pro reef salt, but you ended up answering that one. I had a similar issue when using tropic marin pro reef salt recently (I've been using it for years). I slowly switched over to using IO (auto water changes at 2.5 gallons per day) and the issue has resolved itself. You might want to try dropping the 50% TMPR salt and just use 100% IO and see if it clears up for you too.

I actually did try just IO salt mix for two months and during that time I didn't try to raise alk levels. I did notice that with each water change, even the small daily 10 gallon water change, the corals seemed irritated and would retract polyps for several hours. The reaction seemed very similar to how they acted when I would try to raise alk so I didn't even bother trying to raise alk while using the IO. It would sure be nice if I could just use IO since it would be so much cheaper. Thank you for the thought!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznutz1
Poor fellow, I feel your pain. How much Alk are you dosing in a tank that size?

From my understanding, you shouldn't use softwater into you R.O. For what reasons, I have no idea. I thought softwater would be benificial, but I was told not to.

Maybe this is your problem? Who knows?

I wouldn't worry about getting your Alk higher. 6.5 is perfectly acceptable. If you're getting poor growth and PE, I doubt it's your Alk.

What is your lighting and flow? Too low of nutrients might cause you're slow growth.

Hope I could help. Very strange problem though.

-dan

Strange problem - yes. Frustrating - absolutely X 10 !!!!

To maintain my alk at 6.5 I dose about 4 gallons per day of fully saturated kalk. My calcium reactor runs at a very slow rate to just pick up what the kalk can't maintain. It's about a drop a second from the effluent line. It's not a lot of ca/alk supplementation but for a 400 gallon tank I don't have it stocked very well and there is virtually no corraline growth. Not to mention there isn't much SPS growth to take up much alk. Wish I had the opposite problem. LOL!! I've got lot's of ways to supplement ca and alk but the tank just doesn't want it.

I think I heard that you're not supposed to run an RO/DI unit after the softener due to the sodium in the water which can be hard on the membrane (I believe that's the concern). I never thought much about it since the TDS is so low to begin with I wasn't worried about overworking my ro unit. Good thought though. I'll pose that question to the chemistry guys.

Lighting is good but not supreme. I have three 400 watt halides on a track going back and forth about 12 inches. It's pretty darn good coverage but I'm going to invest in some LED's and get more fixtures over the tank so I don't have to run a track. Recent PAR readings were approx 350 2-3 inches below the surface (directly under a light), roughly 200 mid tank and about 90-110 on the bottom center with the PAR dropping to about 70's at the far corners.

Flow is probably better than most tanks. I have three hammerhead gold pumps (5,600 gph) on closed loops going through OM 4-ways. I also have a hammerhead gold on the return from the sump in the basement which is valved down a bit so probably 2,000-2,500 gph when you take into account about 15 ft of head pressure. I also plan to add some koralias on a wavemaker for even more random flow. Recently I tried one for a while and noticed my acans puffed up a bit more and seemed happier. With the 3 closed loops and return pump I have about 44X turnover of the display.

I agree with low nutrients causing slow growth. The first 4-5 years of having a reef tank I battled nuisance algea and excess nutrients due to lack of knowledge on proper filtration methods. For the next 18 months I then ran the zeo system and learned what a tank can look like when nutrients are stripped to low (one extreme to the other - LOL!!). Due to the cost and some concerns I had with the zeo process I decided to drop the use of zeo products and used vodka dosing. After some trouble with various bacterial proliferation methods (mainly stripping nutrients to fast and too low) I decided to use conventional methods of filtration and simply monitor the nutrient input into the tank a bit closer. About a year ago I set up this 420 gallon display and have never had trouble with excess nutrients. Since I set this tank up I've had limited nuisance algea growth and limited macro growth (If I don't feed massive amounts of food my macros begin to die). I attribute that to good flow, good skimmer, and having a relatively low fish bioload since this tank has been set up.

With that in mind I had seriously considered that the growth issues with stony corals was related to nutrients being too low. For the last 6 months I've seriously increased the amount of fish in my tank as well as feeding massive amounts of food every day. I have an auto feeder which feeds about 1/2 tsp of food (mixed pellet, flake, cylopeeze, and mixed zooplankton) with each feeding. That feeding is delivered slowly over an hours time 4 times a day. In addition I feed a 2inX2in chunk of rods food (herbivore blend) once daily. With the rods food I also throw in a couple cubes of mysis or brine shrimp. I also feed about a shot glass full of live blackworms every day. The blackworms feeding is usually split up among feeding the fish and target feeding the LPS when the lights go out. I also feed a full sheet of nori every day or every other day. I also feed about 10 algea wafers so my snails and hermits don't starve from the lack of algea growth. 3-4 times a week I feed a 1/4tsp of decapsulated brine shrimp eggs when the lights go out. I've recently started dosing various types of phyto and I use about 3X the recommended dosage. I don't know anyone that feeds that much and has as little nuisance algea growth as I do. My fish are extremely fat and there are no signs of excess nutrients whatsoever. I'm afraid to feed any more because I'm feeding such a large amount already. Even with all that feeding the highest I can get my NO3 to is 2 and po4 up to 0.03???????

A quick thought on the low nutrients. Here's my build thread. This post shows the internal plumbing for the closed loops and how I covered all the PVC with dried rock rubble. I used GE silicone #1 which has been decided as safe by nearly all who have used it for reefs. I used a lot of silicone to glue all that rock to the PVC - roughly 20 tubes. The curing agent in the silicone is acetic acid (vinegar). The silicone was definately all dried before I put water in the tank but I wonder if there is some acetic acid leaching from the silicone and inducing bacterial proliferation as the acetic acid is acting as a carbon source. I would think that since the tank has been running for a full year now that anything that would leach from the silicone would be done, but I guess I can't say that for sure. Just a potential thought on why I have such low nutrients.

If anyone here in the chemistry forum has any other ideas I'd love to hear them. This is very frustrating to say it lightly.

Any thoughts on the RO/DI unit being plumbed in after the water softener??

Thank you!!

Jeremy

If you are running low nutrient system, then your alk is critical,must remain low . I had the same problem. I was advised to increase my nutrient levels slightly and everything went well. I maintain alk between 8-10dkh.

JMO
Hope this helps

I don't have any definitive anwser to your questions. :(

I have never experienced stn when increasing my alk level with the coral I have which are most likely quite different then yours are.

Increasing the alk level will linearly increase the coral skeletal growth. This effect is increased with higher than normal calcium levels, so if your calcium is quite high, this will compound the effect.

In a low nutrient system, perhaps their are not enough nutrients to meet the increased skeletal growth when raising alk levels (especially with higher calcium levels). Too low a phosphate levels may cause this with increasing alk levels if the phosphate is in very short supply.

The only other thing would be if you are using an alk supplement that has higher heavy metal levels, espeically copper) which if increased enough especilly if you keep mag high and calcium high and your salt mix has high copper levels than perhaps it is enough to begin to poison your coral. Some coral are more sensitive to copper than others.

RO/DI after the softener is fine. The sodium is a lot easier on the membrane than the calcium and magnesium that the softener removes.

The silicone won't absorb any appreciable amount of vinegar, and any surface remnants of that would be gone in hours, at most.

I'm not sure why raising the alkalinity is such a problem, but 6.5 should allow for at least some growth, probably plenty of growth, actually.

Why was the system ULNS if the Chaeto and turf grew so slowly? Just low feeding before the recent uptick in feeding?

Nothing like GFO, right?
No organic carbon dosing of any sort? Not even some brand name unknown?

I agree that it is curious and unexplained why some folks running ULNS systems, and perhaps especially zeovit systems seem to run into trouble with SPS and alk on the higher side. I've never heard of any sort of explanation of that, but IMO, that is a seeming drawback of such methods. I've also not heard of trouble at 7 dKH, but the kit could easily be off a bit. Triple and quadruple checking the alk kits with some other brands (or best, a DIY with a pH meter and standard acid) could be worthwhile.

Thank you all for the input. I asked for expert chemists input and you guys are the best of the best IMO.

Let me try to reply to all the responses with as much detail as I can.

If you are running low nutrient system, then your alk is critical,must remain low . I had the same problem. I was advised to increase my nutrient levels slightly and everything went well. I maintain alk between 8-10dkh.

JMO
Hope this helps

At this point I can't even get past 7dkh. I've been trying to increase nutrient levels for 6 months now by feeding massive amounts of food and still no response. Without directly polluting the tank I'm not sure how else to significantly increase nutrient levels.

I don't have any definitive anwser to your questions. :(

I have never experienced stn when increasing my alk level with the coral I have which are most likely quite different then yours are.

Increasing the alk level will linearly increase the coral skeletal growth. This effect is increased with higher than normal calcium levels, so if your calcium is quite high, this will compound the effect.

In a low nutrient system, perhaps their are not enough nutrients to meet the increased skeletal growth when raising alk levels (especially with higher calcium levels). Too low a phosphate levels may cause this with increasing alk levels if the phosphate is in very short supply.

The only other thing would be if you are using an alk supplement that has higher heavy metal levels, espeically copper) which if increased enough especilly if you keep mag high and calcium high and your salt mix has high copper levels than perhaps it is enough to begin to poison your coral. Some coral are more sensitive to copper than others.

Thanks Cliff. I was always under the same impression that raising alk should cause a linear growth rate (in most situations). I get slow growth with an alk of 6.5 and tissue loss once I hit 7. Frustrating.

I use ARM media in my calcium reactor and kalk from bulk reef supply. Haven't heard of anyone else reporting any trouble with those supplements. I also tried the BRS carbonate and bicarbonate when I trialed two part dosing and got the same reaction. The salt mixes I use are very common and used widely across the hobby. There is nothing about my system that would lead me to think I would be getting excessive additions of any heavy metal. I'm sure thousands of people use BRS supplements and haven't heard of any reports of heavy metal toxicity from them. In fact I'd be inclined to think their products are likely more pure than others.

The po4 shouldn't be limiting coral growth now that it's at 0.03 (I've repeated the test several times with a hanna photometer). I have massively increased my feeding to try to limit this variable. I now have nitrates at approx 2 and po4 at 0.03 so I'd think that should be sufficient enough to at least not be preventing coral growth from lack of organic nutrients. Thank you Cliff appreciate the input!!

RO/DI after the softener is fine. The sodium is a lot easier on the membrane than the calcium and magnesium that the softener removes.

The silicone won't absorb any appreciable amount of vinegar, and any surface remnants of that would be gone in hours, at most.

I'm not sure why raising the alkalinity is such a problem, but 6.5 should allow for at least some growth, probably plenty of growth, actually.

Thanks for the water softener clarification Bertoni!

My train of thought was just as yours in regards to the silicone. The thought it could maybe be causing a problem was just a shot in the dark since all other logical answers have been ruled out.

I agree that 6.5 dkh should be inducing (at least) fair growth. Since there are so many DOC's that we can't test for it may simply be that there are some basic amino acids or some other nutrients limiting growth. It's just a shot in the dark - again!! I've purchased some ELOS AA's along with one of their supplements called pro skimmer which is apparently a good DOC supplement specifically for SPS.

Thanks for the input Bertoni!

Why was the system ULNS if the Chaeto and turf grew so slowly? Just low feeding before the recent uptick in feeding?

Nothing like GFO, right?
No organic carbon dosing of any sort? Not even some brand name unknown?

I agree that it is curious and unexplained why some folks running ULNS systems, and perhaps especially zeovit systems seem to run into trouble with SPS and alk on the higher side. I've never heard of any sort of explanation of that, but IMO, that is a seeming drawback of such methods. I've also not heard of trouble at 7 dKH, but the kit could easily be off a bit. Triple and quadruple checking the alk kits with some other brands (or best, a DIY with a pH meter and standard acid) could be worthwhile.

Very much appreciate your input Randy.

When I cycled the tank I got some chaeto growth but before I started feeding massive amounts of food in the last several months it wouldn't even grow. Before the massive feedings, the chaeto would actually quickly wither away. I did try dosing some iron to see if that was hampering green algea growth but that didn't make a difference.

Absolutely no GFO.

No organic carbon dosing of any sort. The only dosing is of the two supplements I linked to above and I just started those last week. No VSV, no zeo supplements, no vit C, etc.... It sure does seem just like the reaction when carbon dosing and trying to raise alk higher than NSW, however I can't even hit 7. Getting above 8 would likely be a meltdown.

I'm really not trying to run an ULNS it just kind of turned out that way. When I set up the tank I used all dried rock from BRS. To clean the rock I did muriatic acid dips and the rock was very nice and clean when I did my aquascaping. The tank pretty much started off completely clean from the get go. I ran for quite a while with just a few fish and the corals from my 180. When I set this tank up I exclusively used tropic marin pro reef salt. When I test my freshly mixed tropic marin pro reef salt I get a reading usually between 4.5 and 5.5 dkh. For the first several months of having livestock in the tank my alk was pretty steady at 5.5 - 6dkh. At that point I had spectacular growth and polyp ext. At some point I guess I got greedy and wanted more growth so I tried bumping up the alk and this is where I'm at now. I'd happily drop the alk back down to 5.5dkh if I knew the tank would do as well as it did, however I'm now in a perplexing situation. When I try raising my alk some corals respond very nicely. Within a few days of keeping alk at 7 I can see new growth on my chalices and my acans puff up very nicely. However, during that time the SPS slowly begin to die and recess. When I drop the alk back down to 6.5 the chalice growth is slowed to a standstill the acans are less puffy and seem less happy while the SPS make a slow and gradual recovery. I just don't know what to do.

I've tested my ELOS kit against two control solutions from different companies and the kits always check out very close (never a variance more than 0.5 dkh). I've checked the tank with a salifert kit and, as salifert kits do, it consistently reads my tank water and the controls about 1 dkh higher.

Short of feeding large amounts of food dosing AA's to prevent the ULNS alk complications, I'm not sure what to do. I think I'll fork out the $$ and send my water off to ENC labs and to get a full analysis. That will hopefully tell me if I have any excessive trace elements causing problems.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to experiment. Since the tank did so well at the beginning with alk around 5.5 I'm going to slowly back it down and see what sort of response I get. The response can't be any worse than when when I try to raise alk to 7.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again everyone!!

Jeremy

Here's a thought to ponder. When I raise my alk to 7 I start seeing SPS irritation, polyp retraction and eventually tissue loss. However, I also see noticeable chalice growth and increased growth in other LPS. Since LPS have far more soft tissue than SPS I would venture to say that the tank isn't nutrtient limited to the point at which it's preventing soft tissue growth. With that thought in mind, irritation from skelatogenesis being too rapid (and the soft tissue growth too slow to keep up) doesn't fit this scenario. That is assuming that LPS and SPS require the same organic nutrients for soft tissue growth. I personally don't know if they require the same organics for tissue growth or if my tank is lacking a specific organic required for SPS soft tissue growth.

A logical thought (as Cliff mentioned) is that in an ULNS the alk must be kept low so that skelatogenesis isn't outpacing soft tissue growth (which is a likely reason for burnt tips in SPS when carbon source dosing). Assuming that soft tissue growth is generated by the same organic nutrients for LPS and SPS, then my situation would be different than the common ULNS syndrome as proven by the soft tissue growth demonstrated by my LPS.

If that is a logical train of thought then that rules out limited nutrients as being the reason for my problem.

Jeremy

I have been battling the exact same problems in my 900 gallon setup. I have since turned off my calcium reactor and things seem to have stabilized. I can't explain why my tank have SPS polyp extension issues once my DKH rises above 8.5, but it does. But, my coraline growth is tremendous and have no issues with polyp extension on all the stylos in my tank.

Murray Camp wrote an article for FAMA on ULN systems.
You could contact him,. I remember him saying alk should be on the low side.

Murray Camp wrote an article for FAMA on ULN systems.
You could contact him,. I remember him saying alk should be on the low side.

Do you happen to know if Camp is on RC or what his username might be using? In doing research he apparently runs 5 systems using probiotics so he certainly has some experience in the scenarios.

Jeremy

Ask him if he's got a theory why ULNS systems may have such issues with alkalinity. I've never heard any plausible explanation.

How is your potassium level, near natural seawater?

Zeo plus certain types of skimmers can cause issues...

How is your potassium level, near natural seawater?

Zeo plus certain types of skimmers can cause issues...

As poorly constructed as the zeo potassium test kit is, I did use it to test potassium and per my interpretation of the faint color difference between good and bad, I read the potassium level at 375-400. Never used the zeo process or any other bacterial proliferation method on this tank.

Jeremy

Last edited:
I'm going to try to simplify things here so I can make one change at a time to see the result.

It sounds like there are two logical theories thus far.

1) I have an ULNS which is causing a complication when I alter alk levels (primarily increase). This phenomenon is well known but not well understood. It often occurrs with carbon dosing however I haven't dosed a carbon source to this tank since it's been set up. My tank did for several months exhibit signs similar to an ULNS - little to know algae growth, dying macroalgae, little to no presence of NO3 or PO4. My corals are also very slow to grow potentially limited by the lack of organics to produce soft tissue.

2) I have an odd trace element that (depending on what it is) can be causing all kinds of chemistry complications. Attempting to change my alk level may be nothing more than an extra bit of stress which makes my corals react negatively giving the false indication that the alk change is the problem when in reality it's just the straw breaking the camels back.

I didn't realize ENC labs was so expensive to have a full water analysis. After looking at the pricing of ENC testing I'm going to try a few interventions before I go that route.

Since I'm now seeing some algea growth (macroalgea and nuisance algae) I'm going to lean towards assuming the problem is related to theory #2 (to start with) and try to work through that problem. Maybe the problem is really #1 and after 6 months of overfeeding and almost blatently polluting my tank with the amount of food I feed my fish, I've overcome that ULNS and the problem will resolve on it's own no matter what intervention I take from here. Maybe. I've had 4 weeks of steady macroalgea growth and two weeks of nuisance algea growth so I feel inclined to do something instead of waiting even longer and watching my corals parish when there is a slight shift in alk. Even though it's not detectable with my test kit, if my kalk water reservoir runs dry for a few hours or I do even a small water change (more than 15 gallons in a 600 gallon system) my corals react negatively from the slight change in chemistry. For that reason I'm inclined to not just wait it out and see what happens. This has already been going on for about 8 months.

Taking on problem#2 is a huge challenge due to the complexity of molecular reactions, understanding how heavy metals affect corals, and that all goes without knowing if there really is an elevated trace element/heavy metal. Since I can't afford the testing right now I'm going to proceed carefully and perform interventions that I'm relatively certain won't have negative consequence.

The water analysis of my well water showed elevated levels of lead. Is lead getting through my RO/DI (TDS reading of 0.75 or less with com-100)?? Is there more than one heavy metal getting through causing problems?? Did something fall into my sump or refugium (nail, tack, etc...).

To start with I'm going to try using a heavy metal detoxifier on my RO water to try to neutralize anything that might get through my RO/DI. I have some instant ocean water conditioner which states is neutralizes toxic heavy metals. I figure this is a safe gamble and can't hurt anything. I don't know if it has any affect on lead or just exactly what heavy metals it affects but I'm going to contact IO to see if they can tell me. In the mean time I'll use it on the RO water as well as adding a dose to my freshly mixed saltwater before I do a water change. I'm also going to completely empty my sump and any nearby tanks that could have had something fall in them. I'll check everything over and use the water conditioner for a month and see what happens. If I get no results I'll try moving onto something else.

Any other suggestions??

Jeremy

Back