Need heater program samples for APEX

Jyetman

What is best for programming a heater on Apex?

Currently have:

[Heater]
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.0 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON
Defer 005:00 Then OFF

[Coolfan]
Fallback OFF
If Temp > 77.8 Then ON
If Temp < 77.5 Then OFF

Will this work okay any suggestions?

Last edited:
What is best for programming a heater on Apex?

Currently have:

[Heater]
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.0 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF

[Coolfan]
Fallback OFF
If Temp > 77.8 Then ON
If Temp < 77.5 Then OFF

Will this work okay any recommendations?

No need for defer when using a heater. Especially the two defer lines. I'm surprised you aren't using the default heater control type in the outlet program. That is the simplest. For my evaporative cooling fan I use the default chiller programming for the control type.

If it were me and I was using the advanced prorgamming type, this is what mine would look like short of any failsafes.

[Heater]
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.0 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF

[CoolFan]
Fallback OFF
If Temp > 77.8 Then ON
If Temp < 77.5 Then OFF

If you really want a defer then just use:
Fallback OFF

[Heater]
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.0 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF

[CoolFan]
Fallback OFF
If Temp > 77.8 Then ON
If Temp < 77.5 Then OFF

Last edited:
No need for defer when using a heater. Especially the two defer lines. I'm surprised you aren't using the default heater control type in the outlet program. That is the simplest. For my evaporative cooling fan I use the default chiller programming for the control type.

If it were me and I was using the advanced prorgamming type, this is what mine would look like short of any failsafes.

[Heater]
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.0 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF

[CoolFan]
Fallback OFF
If Temp > 77.8 Then ON
If Temp < 77.5 Then OFF

If you really want a defer then just use:
Fallback OFF

[Heater]
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.0 Then ON
If Temp > 77.3 Then OFF

[CoolFan]
Fallback OFF
If Temp > 77.8 Then ON
If Temp < 77.5 Then OFF

Can I use two chiller programs with different settings? Currently as you see my cooling fans is 77.8 on / 77.3 off and main chiller is set for 81 on / 80 off. I'm changing the programs to use chiller and heater templates. Before was using the seasonal chart to control everything. Decided not to do this because in Phoenix Arizona one week its in the 80s the following week it drops to 40s and fear such a swing in temperatures can cause issues.

Last edited:
Can I use two chiller programs with different settings? Currently as you see my cooling fans is 77.8 on / 77.3 off and main chiller is set for 81 on / 80 off.

I don't see why not. I assume the cooling fan is for evaporative cooling? If so, why do you have the cooling fan to begin with if you are just going to have it turn off long before the chiller? Is this so you only use the cooling fan during the winter and the chiller during the summer?

I don't see why not. I assume the cooling fan is for evaporative cooling? If so, why do you have the cooling fan to begin with if you are just going to have it turn off long before the chiller? Is this so you only use the cooling fan during the winter and the chiller during the summer?

Was needing evaporative cooling to make room for kalk drips but doesn't seem necessary lately. I'm trying to keep a winter scenario so there isn't large temperature swings my acrylic tank can build up or lose heat quick.

I have 2 500w finnex heaters in a 230 gallonish system, is there a benefit to split them up in programming? I let the temp swing between 77.0 and 78.0, but it gets back to temp in about an hour. I would almost like to see it take a little longer to return to temp

I have 2 500w finnex heaters in a 230 gallonish system, is there a benefit to split them up in programming? I let the temp swing between 77.0 and 78.0, but it gets back to temp in about an hour. I would almost like to see it take a little longer to return to temp

Curious how this is working for you? I have the same set up and have a Apex showing up in the next day or so. Are you running it this way?

Why are you guys letting your temp swing so much? This is my program:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Temp < 78.0 Then ON
If Outlet V_Maint = ON Then OFF
Defer 000:20 Then OFF
Defer 000:10 Then ON

The defer statements are not even really needed, based off my log history the heater runs at least for 5 minuets at a time, I rarely see a shorter run time than that.

My temprature at most fluxiates about 0.2F...and usually the 0.1F that the program defines for it.

What is the motivation in letting your temprature fluxiate a full degree? I don't see how it would be more efficent electrically...or reduce wear on the equiptment?

Why are you guys letting your temp swing so much? This is my program:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Temp < 78.0 Then ON
If Outlet V_Maint = ON Then OFF
Defer 000:20 Then OFF
Defer 000:10 Then on

This program doesn't take into account the power of the heater, It would produce completely different results if it was a 1k-watt vs a 150-watt heater. Im not saying its a terrible script, (for you it seems to work fine :beer:) Im just pointing out that the size of the heater would determine the defer time, adding a bit of uncertainty that a high temp delineator would remove.

Absolutely right Savant. But that was not my question.

My question is why do people want their heaters to run so long? Why would you want a full degree of variation in your temprature. I have that program so that it will only varry about 0.1F to 0.2F, not very much. Why would someone want more varration than that?

Wolger, sry m8 I was responding more for OPs benefit. For me personally, I programmed in .3 deg. variance to save wear and tear on cycling switch/heater vs say a .1 deg. More specifically to your question: I dont know...LOL

Absolutely right Savant. But that was not my question.

My question is why do people want their heaters to run so long? Why would you want a full degree of variation in your temprature. I have that program so that it will only varry about 0.1F to 0.2F, not very much. Why would someone want more varration than that?

Heck, I have mine set up to swing 4+ degrees.

NewBitmapImage_zps79370bfb.png

Lots on this subject... In the end, I decided that it is best for my inhabitants to get used to a swing that is within their natural tolerances. IMO, it saved me years ago with a temp spike of 90* when I had a probe out of the water on a cool fall night.

As for the equipment, the frequent on/off cycle will cause more issues than being on for longer periods of time.
Yesterday (( outside temps in the low teens as a high )), each heather only came on once.

As for the equipment, the frequent on/off cycle will cause more issues than being on for longer periods of time.

This is what I am not understanding...I tried searching but found no information about it.

Some equipment (pumps for example) absolutely wear more when they are frequently turned on and off. But I don't see how a heater could wear more from a more frequent, but shorter, on cycle?

At worse I figure you could be chemically wearing the heating coils due to the heating/cooling and the expanding/contracting that occurs from that. But since they are not moving parts, it seems like this would be minimal at best.

I am not trying to cause an argument, I really just want someone to enlighten me as to what the wearable component is that is a problem with a heater from going on and off a lot.

From what I have read in the past, what causes a heater to have a shorter life span is frequent on/off cycles. Similar to a light bulb.

Not sure if that still holds true today. Even if it does, that would only be a side benefit for me, I prefer swings. Heck even if it was the opposite and having the heaters run less frequently for longer periods shortened their life, I would still have a temp swing.

Back