Need help Calculating a large corner tank

mtome

In Memoriam
I need some help calculating a large corner tank. Here are the dimensions of it:

From front to back is 48 x 48

The sides are 24 inches

The front panel is 34 inches ( which is a concave shape)

The tank is 42 inches tall

so if someone could help me that would be great. Thanks

What do you want to calculate? Volume? Surface area? content weight?

What do you mean front to back 48 x 48? and sides 24"?
Is the foot print a triangle or a pentagonal shape (3 or 5 sides)?

If triangle please state lenght of the two sides against the wall and front and the depth (arrow of the arc) of the front panel concave shape at the mid point.

If 5 sides:
Lenght of two sides against the wall.
Lenght of two additional sides (from front panel to wall).
If the two extra sides are perpendicular to the front panel or perpendicular to the wall.
The depth (arrow of the arc) of the front panel concave shape at the mid point. I will assume the concave shape is circular segment (most are to prevent distortion) rather than parabolic.

I assume the back corner is 90 degrees in both cases.

If the tank is 42 inches tall, what will be your assumed distance from the water level to the tank top? THe usual is from 1 to 2 inches depending on the overflow.

If you want to calculate the content weight and the net water volume (deducting the volume from sand and live rock) please indicate the amount of sand (pounds) and live rock (pounds) you estimate to use.

If you want to calculate the weight of the tank empty, include if glass or acrylic and the thickness of the panes and bottom.

I would like to calculate water volume. The tank is acrylic pentagonal shape with the front 3 panels being 1 inch thick and the two sides against the wall are 1 1/2 thick. The bottom is 3/4 inch. The two sides are perpendicular to the wall.

Yes, the concave shape is circular. Both the back corners are 90 degrees.
The water volume to the top would be 40 inches.

I would like to have about 200 pounds of live rock and live sand in this tank for fish only setup.

So for confirmation:

Two sides against the wall 48"
Two sides perpendicular to the wall 24"
Water depth 45.75"

All external measurements except water depth.

I will assume the concavity is 3" and there will be 1-1/2 inches from top to water surface and there will be 130 pounds of rock and 70 pounds od sand.

Last edited:
Yes, the two sides against the wall are 48"and Two sides perpendicular to the wall 24". The tank is 42" tall.

The concavity is 34" and there is 1 1/2 inches from the top to the water surface. There will be 200 pounds of live rock and 200 pounds of live sand. Thanks

OK

Two sides against the wall 48"
Two sides perpendicular to the wall 24"
Water depth 45.75"

All external measurements except water depth.

I will assume the concavity is 3" and there will be 1-1/2 inches from top to water surface and there will be 200 pounds of rock and 200 pounds of sand.

Yes, all are external measurements except for water depth. Everything you have listed in correct.

Here are the results:

Tank Volume: 347 gallons
Water displaced by Sand and rock: 22 gallons (Assumes sand weighted dry and rock weighted wet)
Net water volume: 325 gallons

Surface area: 1751 sq inches

Content weight (water sand and rock): 2,172 pounds
Approximate tank weight: 520 pounds. Excludes top bracing weight. If braced add 22 pounds (See below). Cast acrylic density assumed at 0.043 pounds per cu. inch.

Total weight: Approx 2,620 (unbraced) to 2,642 (braced) pounds. I would recommend check floor support capacity if tank will be located on a floor supported by hoists or beams (other than basement floor).

Excludes water content and weight of the rest of the system (Stand, sump, refugium, frag tank, peripheral equipment and piping)

These measurement shall only approximate the final ones. rock and sand bulk density changes considerably as well as acrylic density.
No weight for top bracing is considered. Assuming bracing equivalent to 25% of the bottom area and 1 inch thick the weight added by the bracing will be about 22 pounds.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14144393#post14144393 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elliott
jdieck: do you have a program to do these calculations or using formulas?
Both. For volume, weight and surface area I used the calculator with some tricks. First, calculated the data for the corner pentagon, then the data for a concave view with the 34" front and then same for a rectangular, the difference between rectangular and concave view was deducted from the corner pentagon data.

For the tank weight; using formulas (simple L x W x H) and considering the overlaps at the corners shortening some lenghts and height, I calculated the volume of the acrylic sides and bottom and assumed the 25% of the bottom for the bracing. Then using the cast acrylic density, turned it into weight.

Here is the volume calculator:

http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

jdieck, Thank you very much for all of your assistance. BTW, your webpage is great and loaded with a wealth of info.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14145118#post14145118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck
Both. For volume, weight and surface area I used the calculator with some tricks. First, calculated the data for the corner pentagon, then the data for a concave view with the 34" front and then same for a rectangular, the difference between rectangular and concave view was deducted from the corner pentagon data.

For the tank weight; using formulas (simple L x W x H) and considering the overlaps at the corners shortening some lenghts and height, I calculated the volume of the acrylic sides and bottom and assumed the 25% of the bottom for the bracing. Then using the cast acrylic density, turned it into weight.

Here is the volume calculator:

http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

thanks! :D

Back