Need Help Finding Nano Tank w/ Internal Overflow

herostar

I'm looking to downsize my 58g setup to something similar to an old 18" oceanic cube I had customized before. I want something similar in size to the 18" cube, could be smaller, but I'd like it to be closer to 20g than 10g. What I really need is an internal overflow, and I'm having a hard time finding something that I don't have to customize (ie. I don't want to buy a tank and drill it... been there done that, I would rather purchase something with the overflow already installed). Internal overflow is important to me, I don't have room for something to extend off the back of the tank.

What is out there that you would recommend or are aware of?

I saw the RedSea Reefer Nano, which looks pretty much exactly like what I'm looking for, but can't find them in stock. So, looking for something similar. If it comes with a sump that's great, but I'd be ok with building my own sump.

Red sea max Reefer nano, is a 18x18 cube with a internal overflow and sump.

I see them on a few web pages listed in stock

I'm looking to downsize my 58g setup to something similar to an old 18" oceanic cube I had customized before. I want something similar in size to the 18" cube, could be smaller, but I'd like it to be closer to 20g than 10g. What I really need is an internal overflow, and I'm having a hard time finding something that I don't have to customize (ie. I don't want to buy a tank and drill it... been there done that, I would rather purchase something with the overflow already installed). Internal overflow is important to me, I don't have room for something to extend off the back of the tank.

What is out there that you would recommend or are aware of?

I saw the RedSea Reefer Nano, which looks pretty much exactly like what I'm looking for, but can't find them in stock. So, looking for something similar. If it comes with a sump that's great, but I'd be ok with building my own sump.

Hello, I am new to Reef Central and I apologize in advance if I break any rules. I went through and read everything I could so, I think I’m good.
If I am understanding you correctly, you are looking for a ~10 - 20 gallon Nano where the water flows back into the pump area and gets pumped back into the display tank. Someone has replied to you regarding Innovative Marine. I have an Innovative Nano 20 gallon aquarium for sale. It is glass, has a beautiful black, gloss cabinet. It has an overflow so, you do not have to hang anything off of the aquarium. It also has a top. The back portion of the Nano holds one or two protein skimmers (it depends if you want a filter sock or not), a submersible 192 gal/hour pump sits in the bottom of the back portion. You can put corals in there for beneficial bacteria or other nutrient holding reasons. It is a great little aquarium. I had it running for four years until I bought a XL200 RedSea 50 gallon aquarium. Before I tore it down, I bought a new 192 gal/hour submersible pump, Marin Sera Protein Skimmer (I have two of them). It has two filter socks. I also have these two very slick Hygger Mini wave makers that are new. I fired up one of them for about 2 months, the other one is new in the box. With the two of them, you can create a gyro affect in the tank. Of course, there is room for a 25W or 50W heater. And, you will need a light. At this point, I haven’t been able to find my light…don’t know where it went. Somewhere that is in the abyss of my aquarium supplies. I also have brand new RedSea testing equipment. I need to sell this aquarium and the equipment and would like to sell the aquarium with the equipment because it would be such a great deal for someone. I have had to sell six of my aquariums and I am down to this one and my RedSea which still has live animals in it. I need to rehome the animals before I can tear down the RedSea and am looking for good homes for my Clownfish and my Sapphire Blue Damsel. Check out the Innocative Marine website, they make a great Nano tank and I will give you a screaming deal on mine and the equipment, if you are interested. I have photos, too. I just haven’t yet figured out how to post things on this forum. Again, I honestly hope that I am not breaking any rules because that would be the last thing that I want to do. I love this hobby. I love my animals and I won’t ship them or have harmed in any way. The smaller equipment I can ship locally. If someone wants the Nano tank and Cabinet, you will have to come and get it. Not that big of a deal…

Last edited:
photo412474.jpg
photo412476.jpg
photo412475.jpg

Attachments

• 1CF812D2-E4C5-43D6-9FF6-360A47582A81.jpg
    1CF812D2-E4C5-43D6-9FF6-360A47582A81.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Red sea max Reefer nano, is a 18x18 cube with a internal overflow and sump.

I see them on a few web pages listed in stock

I'll have to check out the website. I inquired at my LFS and with a couple websites about them and everyone seemed to think they were discontinued, time to check again and see if anyone has new old stock.

FishesArePeace - That's a nice tank you have there. For my situation I need the sump to be under the tank, and not behind the tank as it is with yours, because I run a lot of equipment and it won't all fit in the back of the display of an all-in-one style tank.

Hi there, thank you for your reply. The behind the tank “sort of sump” is a bit problematic because of the size more than anything. Having an under the tank sump is a much more elegant solution, for sure. The other thing that I will say is that, this aquarium ran relatively well, but like every saltwater aquarium, it needs a wavemaker or a small power head to move the water around. I added a Hygger HG-951 mini wavemaker. Also, at that size of an aquarium, there are not a lot of protein skimmer options and the ones that fit are small and just didn’t seem to do the trick, so I had two of them running. When I brought this tank online, it was 7 years ago and I was relatively new to the hobby. I learned so much with that little aquarium. I struggled quite a bit, but it was worth it. I ended up upgrading to a larger tank after 4 years and the fishes and some of the corals that I had in the Nano are still alive and thriving in my RedSea XL 200 and I am very happy about that because they are now almost 7 years old and mature. It’s cool. I have a nice sump in the bottom of the cabinet, still not large enough for a Refugium…dang it. Maybe next time?
Best of luck to you.
DB2D60F4-63AD-44BF-B844-EDE2FEB88E01.jpg
CDAAB126-F23A-4631-BE63-A4C895C4ED11.jpg
B3ABEEB7-4BC6-4DBF-B3A6-F02D8D87983C.jpg

A08FBC14-1BE5-4101-A8FC-5DA9056861B1.jpg
8DCE365F-8424-449A-818A-360DBCBE9724.jpg
105FB214-DDC0-4821-906E-2A674A3E50D1.jpg
78202198-1BD5-4146-895C-F6402C3A3FD7.jpg

These are photos that I took in early 2020 of my little Innovative Marine Nano Aquarium. I had two beautiful Black Widow Anemones, my two little clownfish, Thing I & Thing II, my little Sapphire Blue Damsel and a few corals. Some of them, I migrated to my RedSea. The Bubble anemone didn’t make it, but he was pretty spectacular. The Nano was my very first saltwater aquarium…my little pride and joy. Man, I didn’t know anything about reefing in those days. I was so new to the hobby. That was a great aquarium, for sure. Loved it!

Definitely agree with @AJP - the Fluval Evo 13.5 is a cracking wee tank. We currently have two running alongside our Red Sea Tank (One for Frag, one for Quarantine) but we used to have them as full-on reef tanks.

If 13.5 gallon is big enough for you, this is the one to beat.

Alternatively, the Waterbox Cube 10 and 20 are great options as well; they're slightly more expensive but you get a premium feel and better quality all around.

Best of luck!

Back