Need help identifying nusience red algae

rbonin

I have had this algae growing in my tank for about 7 months now. I was hoping it would pass on its own, but I have my doubts now:

Red_Algae.jpg

The picture is not very good, but I am pretty sure this is not Cyanobacteria (I've had that before too). It looks to me more like a filamentous turf algae, as you can see in these photos under a microscope at 10X and 60X:

Red_Algae_10X.jpg
Red_Algae_60X.jpg

In my search of the Internet for an id, I came across this image that is a pretty good visual match to what is in my aquarium:

Red Sea Moss?

Can anyone positively identify my algae? Of course, my next question will be to ask if anyone has had success eliminating this from their tank. I'll post some more tank parameters and history shortly.

TIA for any help.

~Rick~

OK, here are my tank parameters:

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate: all unmeasurable using Salifert and Seachem test kits.
phosphate: unmeasurable using Salifert and Seachem test kits.
pH: 8.1 in the morning, 8.35 in the evening (Pinpoint monitor)
alk: 3.2 meq (Salifert)
mg: 1300 ppm (Salifert)
SG: 1.026 (refractometer)

Now for some history:
The algae seemed to start when my previous lighting got old (4x65 PC). I was tardy in replacing the bulbs because I was working on a DIY MH setup for my canopy. I now have 2x150 AB 10,000K HQI in Reefstar pendants, since September 2003. I also must admit to joining the "Crystals Seas Bioassay" bandwagon in about the same timeframe as the algae appeared. I think I am pretty light on cleanup crew now, as many of them perished when my tank used to be devoid of algae.

This stuff grows pretty fast. Every 2 weeks, I meticulously pluck as much as I can out with forceps when I do a 15% water change, but this is getting old.

I will be glad to answer any other questions that you guys think are pertinent. Thanks.

~Rick~

Here is what I am planning to do to get rid of this stuff:

1) Better flow - I am adding another Maxijet 1200 for a total of 2 1200's and one 900, plus my Velocity T2 with a new spraybar as described here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156708

2) Add a few Mexican Turbos to do some serious bulldozing. Any ideas if they will eat this red stuff? Might also add an Urchin. Any suggestions as to what kind?

3) Switch away from the Crystal Seas salt. I think I have seen reports of algae blooms from users of this salt.

Any comments or additional ideas? TIA

~Rick~

Hey Rick,

I just typed a long response but unfortunately I got a "server busy" error and it went away. Sigh... Let's see here.

I believe that what you have is the gametophyte of Asparagopsis taxiformis. I believe I have heard that this algae has boron in its tissues so it tastes bad and can prevent organisms from grazing on it. Pacific turbo snails will eat it. I see your water is quite clean. Do you use RO/DI water? Do you test the TDS of that water? Perhaps it has phosphates or nitrates in it? Often when algae is growing but the water is clean of nutrients its because the algae is taking all of the nutrients out of the water as they are being added. If you don't have a TDS meter perhaps someone in a local reef club or at a LFS would test your RO water's TDS for you. I honestly don't think changing your flow with that spraybar will be very helpful. I believe most rhodophyta actually like a lot of water flow. I agree that you might want to switch salt brands. I currently use instant ocean but I am interested in switching to the new oceanic salt. I have heard good things about this salt and I am curious if it will hold up.

HTH,
Kevin

Kevin,
I appreciate your response. I also lost a long reply the other day with a "server busy" error, and I have decided to start copying long responses into the windows clipboard before hitting the "post" button.

Anyway, I do only use RO/DI water (Kent), and I have a TDS meter to monitor it with. My makeup water reads at 0 - 1 ppm in the storage container.

I've been eyeing the new Oceanic salt too, but have not seen it at an LFS here yet. I was using IO last year and had no algae - I'm either going back to IO or will try the Oceanic.

I was thinking about water flow because it seems that the growth is the worst in the low flow areas of the aquarium, but I might not have the low flow areas pegged right.

I'll study Asparagopsis taxiformis some more. Thanks for the helpful info.

~Rick~

Hey Rick,

It sounds like you really know your stuff so I don't think I can tell you anything else that you haven't already taken care of :) Apparently pacific turbo snails are the way to go.

HTH,
Kevin

ah ha! Someone else with my algae problem!!! Nothing in my tank as of now eats the stuff either (emerald crabs, hermits, astrea snails, bumble bee snails, narss. snails, cerith snail). I was gong to try a lettuce nudi or a lawnmower blenny, but I may throw some of those turbos in there. Lemme know if you've had any luck. My infestation of this stuff was almost as bad as yours. I used a 60cc syringe to suck most of it out. Until you find out what eats it, try that. I also found that hot water (while zapping an aiptasia) seemed to kill the stuff too... but mine's too spread to zap it all.

shoot, forgot to add:

I also have the first stage of this stuff, called the sporophyte stage. The stage you seem to have is the gametophyte stage. Any ideas if there is a difference in what may eat it?

Dakota,

I would try pacific turbo snails and manual removal. Thanks for sharing your experience with using hot water. That is interesting. You might want to experiment with that more.

Kevin

hrm. I was reading around about the snails, and so far it says they eat slime algae. I know that most snails only eat the microalgae. I'll still give it a shot. Nothing to lost really. . . except the algae! Also, another quick question. I read that this Asparagopsis is grown from an excess in nitrites. Every time I've tested, I get zero across the board. So if they're simply using the nitrite as they're being formed, how on eart do i stop these things!?

Here is an interesting article on Asparagopsis taxiformis :

http://www.marineland.com/seascope/ss2003_issue3.pdf

After reading up on the Internet and in Julian Sprung's book, I'm thinking that I actually have the asexual (sporophyte) stage of this stuff. I think the gametophyte stage actually looks like asparagus (hence the latin name). Like this:

http://www.gettysburg.edu/~rcavalie/bda_i/139.html

I'm going to get some Turbo fluctuosus which I believe go by the common names, Pacific Turbo or Mexican Turbo snail.

Thanks for the continuing input.

~Rick~

Wow. That first ad has been the most informative out of everythign I've searched for so far. THANKS!! I'm gonna run and get me some turbos asap!

rbonin.not to deture you anything is better than nothing,but i have the same algae and can tell you this.it grows the best in higher currents,the bigger pumps i put in to stop it ,well it grew better right where the water hits the rock,and my tank has some serious water flow! I tried all the snails on earth(including the perriwinkles from the beach)and they dont touch it even when placed on it.as far as salt i use instant ocean.i have o nitrates,low bio load and plenty of clenup crews.i cannot stop this stuff even with perfect water parameters,scrubing,picking and pruning.i gave up and pretend its pretty.one small clue is i found putting the dripper from my kallwasser/vinegar feed right in the algae and it kills it,but not a big enough area to do the whole tank.if i find a way i will put it on the forum!

Well, so far the turbos aren't doing much to it. I saw them munching on it a few days ago, but they seem to only eat it if there's nothing else to graze on... rats! At least I know they'll try to eat the stuff. Best progress I've made so far. . . .

todd4196... I feel your pain. I am not quite ready to accept the fact that this stuff is pretty, but I am quickly growing weary of the battle.

Dakota_reef... be sure your turbos are Turbo fluctuosus (pacific turbo). I have read that the carribbean or atlantic turbos don't do the job.

~Rick~

well, they are supposed to be those ones... of course, my LFS has been known to hire idiots who have no idea what they're doing. . . . .

Bump. I am in the same situation. I wanted to search this topic and the outlook doesn't look easy. I have had the algae for ~six weeks. I agree with todd that this algae like lots of flow and takes to LR with strong current. I tried two weeks ago to reduce photoperiod, but nothing. All params are suitable too. TDS is reading ~25ppm. could be time to change filter. besides for pacific turbos, WC's and monitoring TDS in RO any other ideas?

mogulski,

You should change your RO prefilters and possibly membrane. What are the phosphates in your tank?

Kevin

kmk2307,

My PO4 is .01ppm. I think that it's measureable, but not out of control. I was thinking about phosphate sponging, but would rather do more frequent, like weekly smaller wc's.
Any way time for a new RO membrane. The funny thing w/ my four stage captive purity RO/DI is that the longer it runs the lower tds it produces.
I ran it for like ten hrs today,like~8hrs, and it yeilded 4 ppm tds for the last few hrs.

Back