Need help to "bonsai" a 2-year-old Mangrove

Half Vaped

I posted this in the Reef Discussion forum and got no response, so hoping someone here can help.

I have this mangrove that's been growing for a little over two years in my RSM S-650 sump. I've been putting off pruning it because I was scared I might kill it, but it's now becoming rather unwieldy.

Is there any guide out there on how to bonsai a mangrove? I have terrible luck with house plants and have no knowledge about anything bonsai.

Any advice on how/what leaves/branches to trim and what wire I need to get to start training my mangrove? How about the roots? It's grown maybe about two feet above the sand.

Sorry you're not getting responses. There was a guy who does that with his mangroves, but he's been off the forum for months-saltwater sam.

If I were in your shoes, I'd research the basics of bonsai and have at it. Good luck!

I posted this in the Reef Discussion forum and got no response, so hoping someone here can help.

I have this mangrove that's been growing for a little over two years in my RSM S-650 sump. I've been putting off pruning it because I was scared I might kill it, but it's now becoming rather unwieldy.

Is there any guide out there on how to bonsai a mangrove? I have terrible luck with house plants and have no knowledge about anything bonsai.

Any advice on how/what leaves/branches to trim and what wire I need to get to start training my mangrove? How about the roots? It's grown maybe about two feet above the sand.

A picture would help a lot, but for basics you want to prune the top nodule one you have four leaves. So once you have two sets of two leaves (four total), pinch the top shoot. The new growth will form 2 or 4 new shoots, which can then be wrapped in thin gauge bonsai wire (I get mine on amazon) as they elongate, and start to very slowly, and very carefully be trained into the desired direction.

This takes a lot of time, and I killed one of my largest and oldest bonsais wire training by applying too much pressure too quickly. The roots should be carefully adjusted as they grow if the tips are exposed, I keep mine elevated on rubble rock as long as possible for elongated growth before allowing them to finally bury in the sand bed. They extend massive spider web like root strucutres once they get int he sand. I believe you can slowly prune the thin roots, as they can rebound new tissue but the old thick roots have always led to death for mine. Even the ones that lived through root pruning always showed some salt shock.

I also use fishing line and plastic stakes to keep mine in the sand bed and raise them a few mm as necessary to encourage long downward growth as long as possible. I think seeing the red roots in the tank are one of the most impressive parts about the mangroves and every one of my fish enjoys spending time near them at some point in the day, or just swimming between the propoagules.

Ill try to post pictures of some of the things ive mentioned later if this hasnt helped.

Thanks. I noticed this forum has a sticky on Mangroves, but the pics are all gone, so it was limited help. I finally got around to uploading my pics. Here's what my Mangrove looks like now:

IMG_1301.jpg

I just bought these bonsai wires: https://smile.amazon.com/Anodized-Aluminum-Bonsai-Training-Starter/dp/B01EEJ62MM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1493654721&sr=8-7&keywords=bonsai+wire

The roots were buried from day one, so all the root growth is in the sand. I want to trim a lot of the branches, but I'm afraid to kill my Mangrove. Exactly how much can I safely remove? Is it okay to trim the top shoot coming from the center?

Back