Need help with my non functioning lights

mfp4073

I tried a post in the lighting forum, but no hits. Have a current nova extreme 4x54 48inch unit that I got used a few years ago. The lights dont turn on anymore. First one pair started failing then the other. Would work sometimes and not others.

Was hoping a "set by step" test to figure out if its corrosion to the wiring or the ballasts that have gone out. These dont have separate starters.

I have heard that ocean blue does fixes, any idea? I would much rather do it myself, but.....

Don't know exactly, but have you opened it up to take a look to see if there is anything that jumps out as bad? Could be a bad ballast perhaps.

Unless you've gotten water on the fixture somehow the wiring is probably fine.

I remember reading in the past that the ballasts used in the current USA fixtures are prone to burning out. You could try contacting Current USA and claim a manufact warranty of some sort, or replacing the ballasts yourself.

There's really no step by step text I can think of, save opening it up and sticking a multimeter to different points and see where the current stops. The wiring diagrams are usually stickered onto the ballasts themselves.

You can look into replacing the ballast. Also, I had to replace the endcaps that hold the bulbs in my tek fixture a few years ago. I

yea there isn't usually a easy fix. I would remove the ballast out of the enclosure anyways as it makes the bulbs and ballast life span reduced and run the wires. I would also replace the endcaps if you are already in there replacing wires and than replace bulbs. So basically get a new unit, but if you are going to do that then just switch to led's and not worry about your lighting ever again. there are tons of diy led setups and it is not hard to do.

fwiw, I recently refurbished an 8 bulb Tek T5 unit for a friend. I replaced all 16 end caps because some were all cracked and broken and then replaced 1 of 2 ballasts. Each ballast powers four bulbs and the 'bad' ballast exhibited the same problem you describe (first 2 bulbs stopped working then all 4 bulbs stopped working overtime) The total cost of parts was ~$65. Your repair might be a little less expensive depending on the condition of your end caps and the number of ballasts that need to be replaced.

Suggestions on where to get ballasts for it? Yeah end caps are looking like hell. Wiring is looking like hell. Fans look like hell. Moonlights are looking like hell....... see the pattern.

The lights were suspended close to the water and did not have the "covers" so there has been water exposure. Thats a lesson learned.

Still a repair for under $75 is much cheaper than a replacement. How much and where are the deals on LEDs these days for a comporable light? I have 2 of these over my 75 but the other is still working for the time being.

To replace the Tek ballast, I opened the fixture, found the ballast, and searched for the part number printed on it's label. Cheapest supplier was on Amazon. I found the Tek End Caps here but I'm not sure your fixture uses the same caps.

To replace the Tek ballast, I opened the fixture, found the ballast, and searched for the part number printed on it's label. Cheapest supplier was on Amazon. I found the Tek End Caps here but I'm not sure your fixture uses the same caps.

At that point I should just build a hood and completely rewire!!! Hrmmmmm ideas..

How many LEDs am I looking at for my 75?

Its damn criminal just how far I let my tank go and the amount of stuff I have lost......I probably dont deserve to have a fishtank anymore.

I say the more the merry, but I would think 48 or something around there should be good. Look around on here and see what people are putting on 75 gallon tanks. I must say I would put more ballast than what aquastyle says to put as mine are very hot. 1 ballast for 12 to 14 leds is what it should be.

At that point I should just build a hood and completely rewire!!! Hrmmmmm ideas..

Could be, especially if your bulbs are worn out and need to be replaced. I think the shell of your fixture (including the power cord, fans, and power switch) might make a great platform for an LED upgrade... so, no real need to build a hood or rewire.

Could be, especially if your bulbs are worn out and need to be replaced. I think the shell of your fixture (including the power cord, fans, and power switch) might make a great platform for an LED upgrade... so, no real need to build a hood or rewire.

LOL, my current setup is the fixtures set on top of 1x2s that are set on top of the tank. But I do like the way you are thinking and was considering reusing some of the existing stuff.

I had 96 over my 125 and wasn't happy with the coverage. ( 32 per pendant )

I stuck two pendants over my 50 and it's perfect ( 64 total ) I would reccommend 72+ for a 75 gal.
The Aquastyle LED's just don't have the light output of Rapid LED and their Cree's

As mentioned above the ballasts do get quite hot. I have a small fan running on them while the lights are on and they stay cool.

Last edited:
I had 96 over my 125 and wasn't happy with the coverage. ( 32 per pendant )

I stuck two pendants over my 50 and it's perfect ( 64 total ) I would reccommend 72+ for a 75 gal.

The Aquastyle LED's just don't have the light output of Rapid LED and their Cree's

Link?

Back