Need RTN help!

sandman12

Woke up this am and noticed my joe the coral has all white tips. Yesterday every tip had a small bubble coming from them so I am not too surprised with the die off this am. Also noticed some die off at the base so I suspect I will lose the entire colony. This is also happening to my Hawkins, and green slimmer. I am worried it will continue to the rest of my SPS...Any suggestions on what I can do to stop it? All parameters were good 2 days ago, I will plan on doing a 40% water change tomorrow.

TIA

Well...... welcome to "GRIEF Tanks"! of course check alk, ca, salinity first thing in that order. If all your tests come back normal, hopefully other folks will be able to give you a hint. I have over 50 corals in my 300. I'll have a hawkins in my frag tank which is fed off the same sump and essentially the same lights and "everything" RTN in there and my big colony in tank is fine. Visa versa is true also. Something of the same thing in main tank ..... poof, frag tank fine. I have also tried many time to cut the tips of a piece that piece in RTN, blah....... to no avail.

So, don't want to be a negative nelly, but if everything tests good and you have changed absolutely nothing, this is the part of the "mystery of reef keeping".

Yea I cut all the tips off this am but am not hopeful it will be alive when I get home tomorrow...if my OP dies I'm going to have a hard time spending that kinda money on more high end SPS. I lost my JF fox flame also... :(

Yea I cut all the tips off this am but am not hopeful it will be alive when I get home tomorrow...if my OP dies I'm going to have a hard time spending that kinda money on more high end SPS. I lost my JF fox flame also... :(

I have felt this too many times over the years. No rhyme or reason.

Stop aminos if you are using them just in case. Normally tip recession is high alk.
I have recently found that our alk test kits do not test as we are told they do. That or all the text books out there are wrong.

Do u have an orp prob? If so what was your orp normally running and what was it running when this happened?

Not sure, I'll look into it. The SPS have NOT died and RTN'd like I expect. I am now thinking some sort of pest, going to check them out with a magnifying glass.

Thanks!

Ok guys, I just checked two pieces with a magnifying glass and flashlight. I could not see any pest/bugs. All of my SPS are now getting hit and it's not looking good...any other guesses?

I am dipping my SC OP and moving in to my frag tank in hopes of saving it.

Have you done something different prior to the issue started to happen?

A recent water change, switched salt brand, reactor maintenance, took out or just installed a biopellet reactor or any other forms of carbon dosing?

Back