Need some advice im going crazy.

bpledger84

Ok i have a 46 gal bowfront that has been up and running for just about 2years now within the last month i have had a tuff time with the nasty red algae. I have checked my nitrates and there under 10ppm so im just confused. Help me please get my tank back to the way itbused to look.

Ok i have a 46 gal bowfront that has been up and running for just about 2years now within the last month i have had a tuff time with the nasty red algae. I have checked my nitrates and there under 10ppm so im just confused. Help me please get my tank back to the way itbused to look.

Can you post pictures of the algae? Do you check phosphate at all? Any carbon/gfo reactors?

Take a look at this and see if you can ID the algae. What works to remove one algae may not work for another.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=60

I have some green spots on my glass, and I have a hard time scraping it off. Any suggestions? Maybe a larger cuc

Is it more like a slime that will roll up if you blow a stream of water on it?
Sounds like blue/green or cyano.
90% of the time it's feeding habits and nutrient export that are the problems.

These are common in tanks that are over-stocked and/or overfed. Are you either one of these??

Are you using RODI water? Doing water changes?

If so, perhaps try running some GFO and increase flow so you don't have dead spots.

Thanks for the response. Currently im not running any gfo... Only carbon. I only feed once daily run my lights anywhere from 8-10 hrs a day. I also have never checked for phosphates. Ive been told there hard to measure. Looks like cyano is the algae. I can take and post pics later when i get off work.

Well,you could prepare for a large water change and then use a product called Boyds Chemiclean.
It works quite well.But make sure you follow the directions.
Also,it's really meant for a re-boot of the system.If the real underlying issue is not corrected the cyano may return.

Just beware,if you do use chemiclean it makes the skimmer foam over like crazy.
You may have to turn it off completely.
But,you'll need to aerate the tank while doing the treatment to keep the live stock healthy.
Also,if you feed corals,be careful.This can also be a big issue when it comes to having cyano problems.Some frozen foods like cyclopeeze will cause a bloom asap.
Good Luck.....

Thanks for the response. Currently im not running any gfo... Only carbon. I only feed once daily run my lights anywhere from 8-10 hrs a day. I also have never checked for phosphates. Ive been told there hard to measure. Looks like cyano is the algae. I can take and post pics later when i get off work.

Phosphates are quite easy to check.

I would consider your stocking levels and feeding quantity. Also, GFO will help, but if overstocked or overfeeding, it is just a bandaid. Personally, I am not a fan of "quick fixes" like Chemi Clean.

Well dave i havent added anything new into my system like fish or inverts in almost a year now. Ive also cut back on feeding quite a bit.

There may be a 'backlog' or build up of nutrient sinks in the tank that are now releasing back out into the system, I would go through and power clean the system with a powerhead and a hose to blast as much into the water column as possible and keep straining it out for a while. Its amazing how much build up you can get without realizing.

Starving it out and removing what you can is best. I have tried Chemi-clean which worked but fried my monti.

Back