Need suggestion

davjbeas

Hello,

I had an aptasia infestation in my 80 gallon reef.
I added 8 peppermint shrimp and they ate all the aptasia, now they are eating my grape coral, hammer coral. Are there fishes that will eat the shrimp and not bother the corals? i had a suggestion that a flame hawkfish would do the trick but I cannot find one anywhere. Can you suggest several fish options please.

Thanks.

8?! One would do the job in 2days.

Try lionfish.. or grouper..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a flame cardinal in my tank. He made it so that there's NO way I can use peppermint shrimp for aptasia control.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/79/flame-cardinalfish?pcatid=79&c=15+26+79

That wasn't my intent, but it was clearly his. There's a good chance you'll have another breakout eventually. Bhergia nudis are great for aptasia control. I've used them in two different tank with slow, but very effective, success. I've seen mixed results from peppermint shrimp. Some eat aptasia with gusto, some don't care about them. Some eat LPS like candy, some eventually develop a taste for them, and some never bother eating coral. They're a gamble any way you cut it.

Cut off the top of a water bottle
Attach a piece of shrimp to a small rock, put the shrimp in the bottle, the bottle in the DT.
The pep will smell the shrimp, go into the bottle, when he does, put a net on the bottle opening so he can’t get out, pull the bottle from the tank, repeat for each pep.

You might even be able to catch them with a net using your hand as bait. They're incredibly willing to clean your hands when you reach into the tank. Maybe put a net below your hand, lure them close and scoop them up? It shouldn't be too hard.

I use a half-liter glass wine carafe: has a sloping neck that even crabs can't climb. Once in, they're trapped. I tilt it up against the rockwork, bait it with shrimp, and I usually get what I'm after. Works with fish, too, if you stand by with a small net to block the entry: I don't put the net in the water until I've got my quarry.

Back