Need to rehome a mantis

Sounds like we have a plan! I love macros too! Halimeda is my fav.

I just ordered a heat pack on Amazon. I have some old coolers I saved for this very purpose. I will try to trim them down and make a waterproof box. I have some heavy-duty plastic bags I got the lr in that I saved in case someone wanted this guy. I will get some better pics later today and if you are still interested, I can probably ship him out Wednesday or Thursday. By then he should be rested up for his trip.

Sounds like we have a plan! I love macros too! Halimeda is my fav.

I just ordered a heat pack on Amazon. I have some old coolers I saved for this very purpose. I will try to trim them down and make a waterproof box. I have some heavy-duty plastic bags I got the lr in that I saved in case someone wanted this guy. I will get some better pics later today and if you are still interested, I can probably ship him out Wednesday or Thursday. By then he should be rested up for his trip.

Awesome! If you have any other macro's you can give samples of, id love it!

Here are some more photos. I tried to get more of the smasher-thingys. Does this help you ID them?

I can include halimeda, ulva, and some different gracilarias. I also have some more species, but nothing I can propagate yet. The halimedas I just got from someone else so they are not real pretty yet. I don't have any caulerpas at this time because I am afraid they will "go sexual." :/ Would you like a small rock with barnacles? I also have some freshwater plants if you do those too.

Attachments

• Mantisdifferentlightingside.jpg
    Mantisdifferentlightingside.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Mantissidecloser.jpg
    Mantissidecloser.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
  • mantisfront.jpg
    mantisfront.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
Here are some more photos. I tried to get more of the smasher-thingys. Does this help you ID them?

I can include halimeda, ulva, and some different gracilarias. I also have some more species, but nothing I can propagate yet. The halimedas I just got from someone else so they are not real pretty yet. I don't have any caulerpas at this time because I am afraid they will "go sexual." :/ Would you like a small rock with barnacles? I also have some freshwater plants if you do those too.

Brendi and wennerae can be difficult to tell apart due to how polymorphic both species are. User Nmotz on this forum was explaining to me that Neogonodactylus wennerae is found more commonly throughout the Florida/northern Caribbean area where your liverock is from. If i can verify that the meral spot is white, I feel like i can have confidence in it being a wennerae. See the attached photo to see what the meral spot is.

I do freshwater as well, so i would love some FW plants! I would love that rock! I would love a bit of everything! I will cover all the shipping and give you a little extra for all that.

I have been running Caulerpa of various types in a 20 gal with my havanensis and a few fish. I just make sure i feed enough to keep some minor detectable nitrates to hopefully avoid it going sexual. Its been stable for about 6 months now.

Attachments

• meral.jpg
    meral.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for the photo! That is quite helpful. I actually looked up a previous post about meral spots on this forum and tried to get the little guy to "open up" for a photo. I certainly do not see meral spots, but I am also kind of afraid to get too close to this little guy. I will try to get better photos. (Based on location I would say wennerae, but I understand they do overlap in locations and I am certainly not a mantis expert.)

Do you still want him if he is wennerae? Because if you want him either way, I can go ahead and send him as soon as I get the heating pack. If you ONLY want bredini then maybe Hadla will want him if he is wennerae?

I also could send Oryzias woworae. These are fun little fw ricefish that breed like crazy and seem pretty hardy. I also have a constant supply of bristle nose plecos. I can try to send some of either of those too, although it may increase shipping and require a bigger box. I don't know how they would fare in 2-day shipping either. Winter just hit here, so my plant stores are down, but I have some hardy tropical plant starts I could send. My sw stores are down a bit right now, but I will find a few fun things to throw in! (I actually have a ton of baby koi I need to give away, but those guys are oxygen hogs and I don't know about shipping them.)

I've kept caulerpa before, years ago, as a form of nutrient export, and I never had problems. My tang kept it in check. Right now I am using 'turf algae' as nutrient export - my first time trying a turf scrubber. My newest reef tank has not been up and running for long - no fish yet and the skimmer is off right now. I like to 'adopt' neglected stony corals and bring them back to bright, happy colors. In the future I hope to have lots of frags to share!

Attachments

• Mantis2.jpg
    Mantis2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
I would still like him!

We are actually building a backyard aquaponics setup and were considering koi. But I too worry of shipping them for that long.

I would love some Oryzias woworae!

I have been thinking about trying out a turf scrubber reactor. If you could include some turf algae as well to jump start me?

We should move this into private messages or better yet, Facebook.

I'm glad you want him either way! Because I am not sure I will get him to open up enough to photo the meral spots. :( But I bet you will be able to if you tame him up a bit and get him in a nice, clean tank.

I will include some woworae too. It's a fun species that hasn't been in the trade for all that long. They carry their eggs around like grapes hanging off of their undersides. I will let you know when I get a heating pack (should come tomorrow) and I will just try to include a range of fun stuff.

I don't have Facebook because of my work. But you can email me at mhazell(at)socket(dot)net or mohazell(at)embarqmail(dot)com! I check email a lot.

Thank you for being willing to take this guy!

Back