Need to rehome a mantis

mhaze

Hello!

Today I found this little guy in my Florida live rock. He's cool but I don't want a mantis right now. Would anyone like to have him? And can anyone ID him from my (admittedly not-so-great) photos?

I'll ship him overnight to anyone who is interested, with preference going to people closest to me (I'm in Missouri). I'll even pay for shipping. I can't guarantee he will make it, but we can try. I will also include some whelks for him to eat or maybe friends for him at his new home to clean up after him.

Please let me know if you are interested or if you know what this guy is.

Thanks!
- Morgan

Attachments

• Mantis1.jpg
    Mantis1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Mantisface.jpg
    Mantisface.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
  • Mantiswithrock.jpg
    Mantiswithrock.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
Thank you! He came on TBS live rock; I believe it is wennerae, but I am certainly no expert. I wouldn't know where to start with identification! I just got him yesterday and I don't want to stress him out any more by flipping him over or handling him just yet. Maybe if he calms down I can offer him a little shrimp and get a better pick of those ornery little appendages.

Does anyone want him? He's free...

Hadla - you may wind up with him if no one closer is willing! I'm sure it'd be pricey to UPS him overnight, but I would rather pay than kill him or let him kill everyone else in my tank!

Here's another attempt at a pic. He's gone in a little PVC tube, same as the last one I got did. He comes out to hunt around, so I think he is a little less freaked out than he was yesterday. Maybe I am personifying him a bit too much?

Raptoral appendages seem small, but it'd hard to get a good look, and even harder to get a photo. He's not overly aggressive and seems quite hardy.

Attachments

• Mantisintube.jpg
    Mantisintube.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
Okay, here are some more photos. Still hard to get raptorial smasher thingys in focus.

(Sorry about the dog hair in the one photo - my dog was 'helping' me find the right lighting.)

Pretty chill little guy. Had some mysis without any knocking on tongs.

Attachments

• Mantisblurry.jpg
    Mantisblurry.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Mantislookingup.jpg
    Mantislookingup.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Mantisside.jpg
    Mantisside.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Mantistail.jpg
    Mantistail.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
Yeah they are funny little things... some strike first and ask questions later lol I think he might even be ok with 2 day shipping if there’s a heat pack

Thank you! He came on TBS live rock; I believe it is wennerae, but I am certainly no expert. I wouldn't know where to start with identification! I just got him yesterday and I don't want to stress him out any more by flipping him over or handling him just yet. Maybe if he calms down I can offer him a little shrimp and get a better pick of those ornery little appendages.

Does anyone want him? He's free...
Oh, if only...

Not coming to Portugal anytime soon, are you? xD

Im In Aiken, South Carolina! I would love to have him!

I have "rescued" two mantis shrimp from SjMantis on this forum and they are still doing great.

Roy Or Nmotz should correct me on this - But do I see a white meral spot? I would say he is a Neogonodactylus bredini. I very much would love to take him in.

Last edited:
Okay! I'm glad people are interested!

Looks like rates are comparable to both Sacramento and Aiken, with Aiken being a hair cheaper. Could you send me zip codes (either in PM or post, whichever you are more comfortable with)?

Sorry ffoott, no travel plans. :( It's cool that you like him though!

Mr. Manty - what shipping did you use for your other two mantises? I have read the sticky about shipping mantises and it was helpful, but I'm still a bit nervous about it. This guy seems pretty hardy though. I have him at a chilly 70F/21C-ish and he is fine (I didn't want to risk a glass heater in his bucket because of the smashers).

Okay! I'm glad people are interested!

Looks like rates are comparable to both Sacramento and Aiken, with Aiken being a hair cheaper. Could you send me zip codes (either in PM or post, whichever you are more comfortable with)?

Sorry ffoott, no travel plans. :( It's cool that you like him though!

Mr. Manty - what shipping did you use for your other two mantises? I have read the sticky about shipping mantises and it was helpful, but I'm still a bit nervous about it. This guy seems pretty hardy though. I have him at a chilly 70F/21C-ish and he is fine (I didn't want to risk a glass heater in his bucket because of the smashers).

Area code: 29801

The two that were shipped to me were actually shipped from washington state using two day shipping. They were both in bags of water and air with a single piece of pvc pipe in each bag. The bags were inside of a styrofoam box.

These were two very hardy species - Gonodactylaceus graphurus and Gonodactylus chiragra. If what you have is indeed a Neogonodactylus bredini, then he should ship quite well.

This guy is from TBS, which is in Florida. Are bredini in Florida? I'd hate to disappoint. In that photo there do seem to be small meral spots but I also gave him some shrimp so it could be floating shrimp pieces. I will try to get better photos tonight.

Just this morning I did find an lfs about an hour away willing to take him. They'd get him for free but I wouldn't have to pay shipping. I'd still like to offer him to someone on here first - anyone willing to cover part of the shipping cost thru PayPal? I'd be willing to shell out up to $20 toward shipping, if someone could cover the rest (just to ensure he got a home with someone who really knows about mantis). You don't have to pay me until I ship it out or even until you receive the box. Otherwise, the lfs seems like the cheapest option.

If you want to figure shipping to your area my zip code is 65536 in Missouri. What do you think Mr. Manty? I can't guarantee live arrival, but I can insure the package. Do you want more pics first to be sure of the species?

Area code: 29801

The two that were shipped to me were actually shipped from washington state using two day shipping. They were both in bags of water and air with a single piece of pvc pipe in each bag. The bags were inside of a styrofoam box.

These were two very hardy species - Gonodactylaceus graphurus and Gonodactylus chiragra. If what you have is indeed a Neogonodactylus bredini, then he should ship quite well.

That was me btw! This guy keeps his work and takes very good care of my little guys! 😊

That sounds good to me! And yes, I would like to see his meral spots first.

But use USPS, not UPS or Fedex. They will be much cheaper. If you can't for whatever reason, take him to your lfs.

I'm excited!

I will get some better photos tonight and post them.

I can use USPS - they are much cheaper. I usually use UPS because they are more willing to ship "dangerous" things with fewer questions, but I can just tell the post office it is aquarium supplies. My USPS can be a bit grumpy - it depends on which person I get to help me (some of them are great). If they will not ship him, I will take him to the lfs. Are you willing to go in for $25 or so to ship through USPS? I can do the other $20.

I don't have any good coral frags ready right now, but I could include some gracilaria and ulva algae, if you like! I can put it in a separate bag so as not to foul the water.

This guy is from TBS, which is in Florida. Are bredini in Florida? I'd hate to disappoint. In that photo there do seem to be small meral spots but I also gave him some shrimp so it could be floating shrimp pieces. I will try to get better photos tonight.

Just this morning I did find an lfs about an hour away willing to take him. They'd get him for free but I wouldn't have to pay shipping. I'd still like to offer him to someone on here first - anyone willing to cover part of the shipping cost thru PayPal? I'd be willing to shell out up to $20 toward shipping, if someone could cover the rest (just to ensure he got a home with someone who really knows about mantis). You don't have to pay me until I ship it out or even until you receive the box. Otherwise, the lfs seems like the cheapest option.

If you want to figure shipping to your area my zip code is 65536 in Missouri. What do you think Mr. Manty? I can't guarantee live arrival, but I can insure the package. Do you want more pics first to be sure of the species?

I will get some better photos tonight and post them.

I can use USPS - they are much cheaper. I usually use UPS because they are more willing to ship "dangerous" things with fewer questions, but I can just tell the post office it is aquarium supplies. My USPS can be a bit grumpy - it depends on which person I get to help me (some of them are great). If they will not ship him, I will take him to the lfs. Are you willing to go in for $25 or so to ship through USPS? I can do the other $20.

I don't have any good coral frags ready right now, but I could include some gracilaria and ulva algae, if you like! I can put it in a separate bag so as not to foul the water.

YES!
And i would LOVE some gracilaria. I am huge into macroalgae!

Back