need to start over

artie253

I upgraded to a larger tank 3 months ago adding previous rock from a 3 yr old tank along with some live sand. I used some bio spira and added my clownfish that ive had for 3 years. Added 2 more fish and everything was fine until last week. The clownfish and wrasse had white spots, then we lost power for a day. I also made a dumb move by adding dry rock without curing it first. Long story short, I lost the fish. If I start over can I use the same rock? I also had snails and hermits. Right now I have some of the live rock in a barrel with the dry rock in salt water and some live rock from the tank in a smaller tank with all of the snails. Any advice would be great.

You need a 72 day rest without fish (these were the only fish, right?) No fish in the display tank for 72 days, and since someone sold you fish carrying ich, DO please quarantine the next fish for 4 weeks in case you get another pair with the same. Use your 72 days to build up your inverts, even a couple of soft corals are ok, just no fish, no use of nets or other equipment between the 'safe qt' tank and the contaminated display tank. With water, comes the ich or whatever else can come across.

You DID NOT let water from the fish store into the display, right? Do a 'dry' transfer, ie, in a colander or small container with NO fish store water. Use your bare hand (and put the stopper in the sink!!!!) to get the fish from the bag into a gentle container with (if you like] qt tank water. Afteryour fish is in qt, observe him'/them very carefully daily.

What is a qt tank? A small bare glass tank which you should keep immaculately clean and change the filter floss daily (pillow floss from a sewing store is excellent for this. And cheap.

A dose of Prazipro is ok for starters in the qt tank. Give it its time, then put a carbon bag in the filter and let it run 3 days to take out the PRazipro. Beyond that, do not treat until or unless you spot a problem, and then consult here to get some advice as to what to use.

The ich parasite will starve to death without a fish to prey on. And it can't reproduce: a fish's fluids are essential to that process and you are not letting it have that.

Good luck. Your rock was not the cause of this. Your fish came from a tank that had a problem you couldn't see and possibly the store owner didn't see either. Precautions have to be taken by the buyer, like the isolation. And if you meet the same again, read up in the 'stuck' threads atop this forum (or over in the Fish Disease forum) on a process called TTM or 'tank transfer method.' Bear in mind you can use a polystyrene bucket as part of this process, so you don't have to buy endless alternate tanks.

Good luckl

Thank you for all the advice. I actually already emptied the tank. The rock is in a barrel with Salt water and the snails/crabs are in a 10 gallon with some rock and sand from the tank. The stupid part of it is, I had a quarantine tank set up... Bare bottom with a pvc pipe for hiding/shelter...just got impatient... Live and learn.

We've all made the same mistakes, artie253. In my 30 or so years of experience, I've noticed that now, more than ever, ALL fish come in with some malady or another. Perfectly healthy specimens are the exception, not the rule. So I finally had to get very serious about quarantine. Before I buy a fish, I now research it's most likely illnesses, and get the medications ahead of time. This may sound excessive, but killing a tank full of fish because I didn't properly qt a damsel is a very real possibility.

Patience is maybe the biggest thing this hobby teaches.

BTW I'd get rid of any sand from the tank that had ICK. Replace with new for the rebuild. Rocks in the barrel for 72 days, and you're good to go again. In the meantime, you can quarantine a new fish or two. Good luck!

Thanks,I already got rid of the sand and the rock is already in a bin with a circulated and heater. My only other question is about the snails/ hermits. Trying to save some money. I have them in a small 10 gallon with 1 small rock from the tank. Will they survive?

They should be fine, assuming they have food to eat. If no algae in the tank, just add some veggie-based flake food.

Since I have an empty tank, should I start new sand, water, add the rock after or everything at the same time?

Use a plate or saucer on the bottom to prevent sand from going all over & pour slowly.
OR stick the RO hose in the tank. REMEMBER to keep an eye on it!

Back