Neptune Apex wifi

Orionxr78

Hi all, I'm looking at picking up an apex controller and I would like to know if you have to plug in an ethernet cable for internet access or is there a wifi option as well?

No Wi-Fi just a Ethernet connection. You would need a dongle of some sort or as I'm using a Netgear wireless expander with a single Ethernet port. If you had lights like Hydra/Radion you would still need the (wireless) WXM expansion module to connect to them. I could be wrong but I don't think the WXM will allow your controller to connect to your wireless network.

No Wi-Fi just a Ethernet connection. You would need a dongle of some sort or as I'm using a Netgear wireless expander with a single Ethernet port. If you had lights like Hydra/Radion you would still need the (wireless) WXM expansion module to connect to them. I could be wrong but I don't think the WXM will allow your controller to connect to your wireless network.

Thanks zoomonster. I have kessil lights so i believe those just plug in.

So you have your controller set up wifi?

It does not come with native wifi. You have to purchase a separate adapter, not made by Neptune to give it wifi capabilities. Check their forums for details on how to this.

it can be run on wifi with a bridge or wifi adaptor but remind you whenever u need to do firmware updates it has to be done on direct wire connection to router.

it can be run on wifi with a bridge or wifi adaptor but remind you whenever u need to do firmware updates it has to be done on direct wire connection to router.

Or if you have a laptop you can plug a network cable from your laptop directly into the Apex in order to do firmware upgrades.

Hard wiring makes life far easier with. Better stability also, last thing you want are wifi issues on vacation.

Thanks zoomonster. I have kessil lights so i believe those just plug in.

So you have your controller set up wifi?

Not wifi per se... the netgear just connects wirelessly to my main router and redistributes the signal amplified and appears as a second wireless ID that can be connected to. It also acts as a one port hub so I can plug in my controller. I'm still building this system so I was unaware of the firmware update requirement. No matter my main router is fairly close by if that turns out to be a problem with this setup.

what u have is a access point and bridge, which takes a wireless signal from main router and amplifies it and re distribute it and also bridges a wireless signal to a hardwire single output to a device. which will work for remote vewing if you know how to give Apex internal static ip and then forwarding the port to that ip (all done in main router). Then you would need either static public ip from provider or a dns server account to put that info in your router to be able to view from outside (anywhere in the world)
But the problem with firmware updates still exist as apex need a hard wire connection to either you laptop or router directly.

Thanks for the replies! I guess I have some thinking to do. Whether to hook it up wirelessly or run the cat6 through the attic to the tank.

If you have the means to do it yourself, I would recommend running the cat5, you'll be happier long term and it's a pretty simple project.

Ok just did this. Here's how.

1. Use an Ethernet hard line to update your firm ware with wireless on your computer disabled. Only after that's done...

2. Use a wireless bridge to get your home wireless signal and connect it via LAN to the Apex.

On my home system, a Mac with an intervening range extender, this was pretty easy to do.

Then go to the Neptunesystems.com site and download Fusion beta, which has just been opened up to new users again, and use that for your control. It works via your smartphone too. Pretty sweet.

Ok just did this. Here's how.

1. Use an Ethernet hard line to update your firm ware with wireless on your computer disabled. Only after that's done...

2. Use a wireless bridge to get your home wireless signal and connect it via LAN to the Apex.

On my home system, a Mac with an intervening range extender, this was pretty easy to do.

Then go to the Neptunesystems.com site and download Fusion beta, which has just been opened up to new users again, and use that for your control. It works via your smartphone too. Pretty sweet.

Awesome...thanks!

Back