Neptune vs GHL

pa1ntbru5h

I'm debating whether or not to start my new tank with a GHL Profilux vs Neptune Apex.

I've been using the Apex ever since I started in this hobby so I know it and the system pretty well.
I want to try something new and go with the GHL Profilux but it is worth the switch and learning curve?

I want to automate my tank as much as possible. I would want to run GHL's KH Director and ION Director once it releases. I already own 2 Neptune Tridents and they work well but I don't necessarily trust their accuracy. I mainly watch for trends and swings instead of looking at the actual value itself.

I already own a GHL Doser 2.1 Standalone and that's been pretty solid. Hasn't given me much issues. One thing I think Neptune has over GHL is their UI. The ApexFusion website and app are a lot prettier than GHL's but that's not really important as long as the website and app work as they're supposed to.

Anyone here have experience with both and can chime in on why you stuck with one or the other?

Reef Automation is currently doing a great comparison of the two on YouTube. In my opinion the GHL is not worth the extra money. The full setup costs like twice as much as the neptune but the thing that kills me the most is you need 3 slave dosers (10 pump heads not including a 2-4 part dosing/calc reactor) so you have more tubing going around than an ICU unit. The power bar only has 6 plugs. The software also doesn't look modern. I don't see the benefit of the ion director if it measures nitrates but not phosphates. I'm sticking with Neptune and who knows, the current one has been out for 4 years so maybe there's a new one around the corner in a year or two.

You should check out Derrick Pickler's YouTube channel Reef Automation, he's doing a series on GHL vs apex now and shows you how to set up and program both. He usually has a live stream every Saturday morning at 10am where he discusses automation. You can win stuff too, he always has a drawing for those watching live.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LL16MSrXECY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think both have the Pros and Cons. If you are already invested in one brand it does make it spendy to change. There will also be a new controller introduced in October with the HYDROS control 4. Hopefully I will get my sample soon as I know it will not be that far away.

Reef Automation is currently doing a great comparison of the two on YouTube. In my opinion the GHL is not worth the extra money. The full setup costs like twice as much as the neptune but the thing that kills me the most is you need 3 slave dosers (10 pump heads not including a 2-4 part dosing/calc reactor) so you have more tubing going around than an ICU unit. The power bar only has 6 plugs. The software also doesn't look modern. I don't see the benefit of the ion director if it measures nitrates but not phosphates. I'm sticking with Neptune and who knows, the current one has been out for 4 years so maybe there's a new one around the corner in a year or two.

Thanks for your input!
I didn't realize it required that many pump heads for the KHD and ION.
Like you said the amount of tubes that would require is too much.
Good to know... Will continue to do some research but so far from what I've found, I'm leaning toward sticking with Neptune.

I think when people compare the KHD to Trident they're looking mainly at accuracy. For me, I don't necessarily use the Trident for accuracy. I use it more for precision. I don't really care if it's X amount off from my other test kits as long as it remains consistent within it's own results.

Thanks for your input!
I didn't realize it required that many pump heads for the KHD and ION.
Like you said the amount of tubes that would require is too much.
Good to know... Will continue to do some research but so far from what I've found, I'm leaning toward sticking with Neptune.

I think when people compare the KHD to Trident they're looking mainly at accuracy. For me, I don't necessarily use the Trident for accuracy. I use it more for precision. I don't really care if it's X amount off from my other test kits as long as it remains consistent within it's own results.

I think I may have goofed on my math and the setup needs 7 or 8 dedicated pump heads and I would need two extra heads for my 2 part. I just remember it was ridiculous if I wanted to do kh/ion/2part plus extra for auto water changes (maybe even that big boy DOS looking one for AWC).

You should check out Derrick Pickler's YouTube channel Reef Automation, he's doing a series on GHL vs apex now and shows you how to set up and program both. He usually has a live stream every Saturday morning at 10am where he discusses automation. You can win stuff too, he always has a drawing for those watching live.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LL16MSrXECY

Thanks I'll look into that.

I think both have the Pros and Cons. If you are already invested in one brand it does make it spendy to change. There will also be a new controller introduced in October with the HYDROS control 4. Hopefully I will get my sample soon as I know it will not be that far away.

Nice! Always good to have more options

I have both systems.. I have one system running ghl system and the other one apex. For automation I prefer apex over ghl. Apex app is much more user friendly and responsive. Ghl platform is much older and is alot slower. I had issues with ghl connectivity so I had to hardwire it to the internet... Even if the ghl system is hardwire it takes a min to 2 to get into the ghl system.. also notifications and warnings are almost non existence in the ghl system. Apex does a much better job when it comes to notifications.

The only thing I like about ghl is their doser setup. To use the doser system u dont need to have the profilux setup, you can simply just buy a standalone unit n add-on with slave units. I also prefer the khd over the trident. Reagents are cheaper and to me alk is really the only parameter u need to monitor daily. I rarely ever test for mag and calc (maybe once a month). Also khd can be used with add-on to the doser setup. The only drawback with the khd is the lack of notification, apex does a better job notifying you when there's an issue.

Lots of pros and cons between the 2 setup it just depends on your preference. Right now on my main setup I'm running apex and using ghl dosing system w khd.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have both systems.. I have one system running ghl system and the other one apex. For automation I prefer apex over ghl. Apex app is much more user friendly and responsive. Ghl platform is much older and is alot slower. I had issues with ghl connectivity so I had to hardwire it to the internet... Even if the ghl system is hardwire it takes a min to 2 to get into the ghl system.. also notifications and warnings are almost non existence in the ghl system. Apex does a much better job when it comes to notifications.

The only thing I like about ghl is their doser setup. To use the doser system u dont need to have the profilux setup, you can simply just buy a standalone unit n add-on with slave units. I also prefer the khd over the trident. Reagents are cheaper and to me alk is really the only parameter u need to monitor daily. I rarely ever test for mag and calc (maybe once a month). Also khd can be used with add-on to the doser setup. The only drawback with the khd is the lack of notification, apex does a better job notifying you when there's an issue.

Lots of pros and cons between the 2 setup it just depends on your preference. Right now on my main setup I'm running apex and using ghl dosing system w khd.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have a hybrid setup, apex for everything except dosing, which is carried out with the GHL Doser 2. There simply isn't a better doser than the GHL.

Id also consider customer service. I know that may not mean much during these covid times. But at the very least how fast can you get a response or even a replacement part. As mentioned, you may not get what you need right away but who would attend to you faster. Thankfully, I haven't had the need to reach out to Neptunes for any issues. But there's enough APEX gurus or even Vincent or Terrance from Neptunes that periodically answer questions on there FB page.

Twitter video downloader is a connected web app to download Twitter tapes and GIFs to your computer or mobile phone directly. Twitter videos and twittrdownloader GIFs are fixed in the tweet, so to download Twitter videos online, you need to copy the tweet URL/link and paste it in the overhead text box.

Back