Neurotic Ocellaris Clownfish

SnookNGoby16

Day 1: Hello! Has anyone experienced adding a new ocellaris clownfish to a tank where they just swim at the top like a crazy person!? My parameters are fine. My Springers damsels leave him alone (I think they are wondering what’s wrong with this fish as well) and my inverts are doing great. Fairly new tank and no coral yet. This isn’t my first rodeo but, this fish has problems! Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Is there another clownfish in with this one? Or just the 1? Wild caught or captive bred?

Sometimes a single clownfish will act off for a few days in a new tank. My theory is they are either looking for a host or a friend/mate. Especially if this is a juvenile that came from a tank with lots of baby clownfish.

It’s just the one. Captive breed from a tank with a bunch of juveniles. That’s a good theory. Hopefully it will calm down and get more comfortable. The damsels are trying to help it seems, but he just keeps swimming like a crazy person. I’m your experience, does the fish eventually stop? How long did that take? I really don’t want another one.

It’s just the one. Captive breed from a tank with a bunch of juveniles. That’s a good theory. Hopefully it will calm down and get more comfortable. The damsels are trying to help it seems, but he just keeps swimming like a crazy person. I’m your experience, does the fish eventually stop? How long did that take? I really don’t want another one.
Yeah, a clownfish taken from a tank of juveniles to being all by itself is going to take some time (days or even weeks) to settle in. It might be wise to put the clownfish in an acclimation box for a few days until the shock of being in a completely new/different environment wears off.

Thank you! That’s a great suggestion! He’s still alive and seems to be a little more comfortable but barely. Just hoping he makes it or I will have a very sad 4 year old. Definitely, should have gone with my gut instinct and steered clear of Nemo.

Back