New 120 Build - Getting back into it

Willistein

So, I've been on hiatus for over 2 years while we had a house built, but now the house is done(ish)... and I'm finally making a plan to get the system running again!

To start out, I'm looking for a standard 120 gallon tank 48x24x24 with no overflow. The plan is to drill it for a ghost style overflow, modular marine, synergy, etc.

Here we go! :beer::beer:

Good for you, I had the same size tank for a couple of years and had good success, I've since upgraded to a 180 and if it wasn't for my ever growing fish I would probably go back. Keep us posted please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Dan glad to hear you're getting back in
I thought I seen at one time you had water concerns, will that effect any of your plans ?

Didn't have a lot of time today, but I was able to start making the tables for the basement sump and frag tanks. Two 40 gal breeders will be at a right angle to each other. The frag grow out tank will have it's own pump supplying it from the sump and it will overflow back to the sump. That way I can take it offline if needed and the display and sump can stay running.
8382599955e134cbbc67c53c5baa5045.jpg
8b521680c38c1a71918a417b37955679.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

So, I've been on hiatus for over 2 years while we had a house built, but now the house is done(ish)... and I'm finally making a plan to get the system running again!

To start out, I'm looking for a standard 120 gallon tank 48x24x24 with no overflow. The plan is to drill it for a ghost style overflow, modular marine, synergy, etc.

Here we go! :beer::beer:

Welcome back :)

Looking forward to watching this build happen. I have been back and forth on upgrading to the same setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basement stand complete. Two coats of oil based enamel (I may do one more). I'm also wondering if I should paint the legs...
A nice feature of the L-shape is that it is very stable.
I was planning on just using one of the 40s as a frag grow out tank, but now I'm wondering if I should find a 24" x 36" x ~12" tall tank... Deep Blue makes a 45gal tank like this:http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/frag.html

fbce4b57d6da1baac8637d76f35b5541.jpg

Last edited:
Three coats of paint now - I'm calling the table done.
I need to add an overflow feature and some panels to the sump - does anyone know a good source for acrylic sheets locally, like cutoffs? At $200, I don't need a full sheet.

Man, a month goes by and all I can say is I've built and finished the wall that will go behind the tanks. I'm going to eventually finish the basement, and I didn't want to have to move the tanks out from the wall, so...
If you're curious, I did 1" foam insulation against the block, and then a 2x4 wall in front of it with R13 fiberglass bats. Hopefully 16 outlets will be enough. I put them up at about 5' to keep them above water sources.
88eed850bf33ef9177db52381d29e47d.jpg

Man, a month goes by and all I can say is I've built and finished the wall that will go behind the tanks. I'm going to eventually finish the basement, and I didn't want to have to move the tanks out from the wall, so...
If you're curious, I did 1" foam insulation against the block, and then a 2x4 wall in front of it with R13 fiberglass bats. Hopefully 16 outlets will be enough. I put them up at about 5' to keep them above water sources.
88eed850bf33ef9177db52381d29e47d.jpg

lol... future owners of the home are going scratch their heads at the outlet placement. "*** are those outlets doing up so high???"

Ha ha, I'm sure they'll assume I was just growing something special... Which would be true...lol
That walkout door faces the road :)

I'm looking for a couple old school SE metal halide fixtures. Hamilton cozumel sun, lumenarc, or similar.

Thanks Mark, I don't need the ballasts, just the reflectors. My DIY reflections are getting a bit corroded. I might be interested in your ballast as a backup though, LMK what you want for it. Is it the HQI style (M80)?

Changed the configuration based on where I wanted the sink and plumbing. I'm glad I made the table modular, and that I used screws...
8a9e5068c5350f381c82ee14c4b8384d.jpg
d40fc839def12d4bc491baf79e500781.jpg

The drain goes to a daylight about 300' from the house. I figured it would be better to dump salt water out there than in the septic tank.

I'm jealous. Don't have a sump pump or drain in my Basement . Going to have to rig up something. I noticed some nasty salt creep on the drywall when i tore down my old tank . I'm considering some type of barrier for my new build. I had a hell of time finding MH equipment when ballast quit. That hydroponic store in greece had some stuff in stock. Guess the plant guys have standardized a lot of the grow equipment. You might get lucky.

All I have on the drywall is a couple coats of high quality paint, and I am wondering if it will be enough. I might put a piece of acrylic on the wall behind the sink. Any other good ideas for wall protection?

Back