new 150 setup

mikeyj28

So i picked up an acrylic tank from a local reefer measuring at 60 (l) x 24 (w) x 24 (h) so its 150 gallon. I need some help with a few things. I was thinking that all i want out of this tank is a sps dominated with a few bigger fish that i cannot keep in my 65 gallon.

1. how many and what kind of power heads should i use? I was thinking of using 2 Tunze tubrell 6085s for flow or two vortech mp40s

2. what is a good return pump? the sump will be behind a wall about 4 feet away from the main display. im looking at a panworld 30 HD-X

3. what is a good heater?

4. lighting. I am looking at ATI sunpower 6x80 but could use some advice on this as i have not used T5s or know a good color combo.

5. Sump, either a trigger systems crystal Elite or 70 gallon rubbermaid stock tank, however i want to run a refugium along with the sump so i dont know how to do that with the stock tank.

I will take some pictures later. This tank is well built but the guy i got it from used it as an inwall tank and spray painted the sides which im currently painfully removing. After the paint is removed i planned on buffing the entire tank to try to restore it to new.

i'm using a trigger systems crystal Elite Model# CRYS36E. they are well made.i'm really glad i bought it. you can't go wrong.

If you end up using the rubbermaid stock tank, I have a refugium that is a simple 20L fed by a maxijet and gravity fed back into the sump. It sits on a wooden stand next to and just above the stock tank.

I would suggest the panworld 200ps that szwab was selling. Great pump. A lot of us use it. It can run your entire system if you plan it correctly.

If you end up using the rubbermaid stock tank, I have a refugium that is a simple 20L fed by a maxijet and gravity fed back into the sump. It sits on a wooden stand next to and just above the stock tank.

That is a really good idea I might look into doing that, would be cheaper than buying a new sump and i like the idea of a totally seperate fuge

I forgot to mention that yesterday when i went to get bulkheads for the tank that i found the drains to be two 1" and the two returns to be 1/2". Im sure this will make a difference for the return pump

That seems small to me for a 150gal. Personally, I wouldn't do less than a 3/4 return. I think most pumps are going to have 3/4 fittings anyway. I would do 1.5" drains unless the silent and failsafe setup in the DIY section uses smaller.
The good thing is that it's acrylic so you can add holes or make them bigger fairly easily.

yeah i was thinking the same thing that 1/2 is very small. i might just plug off the 1/2" returns and use the 1" drains as the return and drill 1.5" drains on the back.

If you haven't already, check out Savco's website for all your black pvc needs. They would have black plugs for that. I make a pick list from the website the go in and hand it to the guys behind the counter. Seems to be the easiest way to do it without making them nuts running to bins and back.

If you haven't already, check out Savco's website for all your black pvc needs. They would have black plugs for that. I make a pick list from the website the go in and hand it to the guys behind the counter. Seems to be the easiest way to do it without making them nuts running to bins and back.

I love savko. I actually just went there today before work and found the plugs for the 1/2" and plan on running 1.5" drain already drilled today on the back and then 1" return.

does anyone have any suggestions on the powerheads? Im thinking of getting them soon Im really torn on the vortechs or the tunze.

Also does anyone have a variable speed buffer i could borrow for the weekend to buff the acrylic?

This first picture is of the tank from the previous owner when it was set up. He had it set up as an in wall aquarium where i will be not setting it up this way. So with that you can see that the sides were spray painted blue. After about two weeks of carefully removing it the picture below is the progress as of now.

previous owners set up
IMG_2803.jpg

after weeks of elbow grease and a great buffer
DSC01249.jpg

front shot
DSC01248.jpg

As of now the build will be slow because we are finishing our basement which will take a while. I will be having GEO build me a sump that will be on the other side of the wall from the aquarium.

I have a few questions.....for this tank above how much live rock should I use? I was thinking between 150 and 200 lbs. Also any suggestions on a return pump? I was looking for a panworld 50XP-X

I would do at least 150 lbs of live rock even if you have to put some in your sump.myself i like dead rock better to start a tank up.

Back