New additions . . .

Mandarin is still taking the Nutramar - I'm able to get it to him twice yesterday. Last night it seemed that he was starting to realize where it will be when the powerheads are turned off. It took a few minutes, but he went to the same place he'd been fed before. I had put a little mysis in with the eggs and last night he got one. He spit it back out, but that's OK, I'll take it! :D

Hopefully we're on the right track!

The other thing my Mandarin will eat is Hikari Enriched Brine Shrimp which I know MO carries.. I think the Mysis might be too large for them. I find the Hikari products are clean and don't need rinsing like so many other frozen foods I've tried. I just talked to G. and he doesn't have it in stock right now, although he suggested other alternatives including some fish eggs he has available. He's going to try to figure out a way to stock it more often. Meanwhile, you can always get some more from me, but we need to devise a plan to get this stuff in the future.

More positive developments!

More positive developments!

Last night he pecked at the feeding tube! It wasn't at the end, where the food comes out, but further up where he could see it. Not bad for only a few times with it. They seem to be pretty smart fish.

I'm wondering if the wrasse is going to be an issue though . . .

With all this talk about the Nutramar Ova, I thought I'd give an update on the mandarin.

Over the last weekend I thought he started looking a little thinner. Not good. So I upped the number of times I was feeding him from two to four, with one of them at night after the wrasse goes to bed because he is a major PITA. After a few days he put the weight back on. He still isn't where I'd be comfortable, but we'll keep at it. I started adding cyclopeeze to the Nutramar, but I don't think he's a fan. I don't think he eats as much with it there so I'm going to go back to just the ova.

Keep your collective fingers crossed! It's a bit of work, but I enjoy feeding him and I'm lucky that I'm home and have the time to feed him multiple times a day. Hopefully when I get him fat I'll be able to go back down to two times a day.

Back