New and need some help

Just an update and another question.

Tore the tank down and captured the two Domino Damsels that were in thought to be aggressors towards the new tank mates. If they weren't down the road as they matured probably would have been an issue anyways....so they are gone.

Not enough food was a theory and actually admittedly probably the most accurate so I am now feeding every other day either mysis or nori.

Back to a 15 gallon per week water change.

Went out three weeks ago and bought 6 Chromis. Lost four in a week. But I changed something I was doing and two are still alive and seem well.

I'm wondering if how I was dosing caused the new fish to die off? I was dosing directly into DT. Read a post were he was dosing the Alkilinty into the overflow box and it got suck down and through the sump and the Calcium into the sump.

Started doing that and the remaining Chromis are still alive.

Removing the damsels and feeding more as suggested were things that needed to be done, but could the way I was dosing also have played a part in my problem?

Just a shot in the dark but have you check to see if any of you equipment is adding an voltage to the water? You would know once you touched the water you would get a slight shock. Just a shot in the dark, but something to check.

Just a shot in the dark but have you check to see if any of you equipment is adding an voltage to the water? You would know once you touched the water you would get a slight shock. Just a shot in the dark, but something to check.

Thanks for the idea....not getting any shocks so no voltage.

Lost another Chromis. Down to one clown, one tang and the remaining Chromis out of six I purchased three weeks ago. The clown and yellow tang are the first two I put in the tank.

Ammonia has spiked due to what I believe we're the increased feelings and all the fish dying so fast.

Phosphates have increased do to the GHA now starting to grow no doubt do to the extra feedings. My test kit reads zero so the phosphate is being absorbed in the GHA and probably into the Pukani rocks. Something I have not had since starting up two years ago but from what I have read phosphates probably isn't what is killing the fish so that is a separate issue I will deal with.

Totally at a loss for why all new fish are dying. Going to do a total water transfusion over the next few days. I've done the forums recommendations about increased feedings and removing the damsels......it has to be something to do with the water.

One suggestion was stray electricity which it doesn't appear to be so, but what about ideas outside the box like that??

I use RO/DI stored in a 44 gallon Brute can.

Thank you for your guidance.

Back