New Apex User + ph question

Reefpilot11

So thanks to KoddyVT I am now an apex owner! Hooked it up and is working great running ph & temp probes. So with that I have discovered my ph is not what I would like it to be ranging from 7.8 night to 8.05 day. I will say I have noticed decreased coral growth since we are now in the warm season and the windows are no longer open in return raising ph. What could be done to accomplish higher levels? I do have some talk but have never gone that route before. I could run my skimmer line outside if need be.

Also, any tips and tricks for using the apex would be GREATLY appreciated!

I run Kalk in my ATO to help keep it up. Skimmer line out side can help too. I also run a co2 scrubber.

Did you calibrate the probe or know when it was last calibrated? Might not hurt to recalibrate to confirm accuracy.

I wouldn't chase Ph but it does swing quite a bit from day to night. Where is the tank? What size is the room & anybody in there? Whenever I have company over, it's interesting to see the Ph drop. Just a few people can make a difference.

Did you calibrate the probe or know when it was last calibrated? Might not hurt to recalibrate to confirm accuracy.

I wouldn't chase Ph but it does swing quite a bit from day to night. Where is the tank? What size is the room & anybody in there? Whenever I have company over, it's interesting to see the Ph drop. Just a few people can make a difference.

Forgot to mention yes, it has been calibrated and is spot on. It is in a bedroom. I know not to chase ph but like I said just a little bit lower than I would like.

same problem here, def run skimmer line outside, should help, wait and see how much of a diff it makes then decide if you should go to kalk as well, only bad thing about c02 scrubber is the cost of the absorbant.

same problem here, def run skimmer line outside, should help, wait and see how much of a diff it makes then decide if you should go to kalk as well, only bad thing about c02 scrubber is the cost of the absorbant.

I paid less then $100 bought over 2 years ago. Still have a little left.

Randy has a great article about ph, well A bunch of great articles, lol. One test he recommends is aerating a cup of tank water outside to verify co2 buildup in the house. Then you can take appropriate action. all the above are good solutions to the problem.

If you run outside air, make sure to filter it, a neighbor spraying for bugs could ruin your day, filter floss and carbon would be good.

If you go the kalk route, make sure it is settled before dosing, many stories of people accidentally dosing kalk solids and upsetting the tank.

I run kalk in my topoff and use a rigid airline that is plugged at the bottom with a hole a few inches up to keep from sucking up any settled kalk in the bottom of the container.
I transitioned from 2 part as well and just reduced 2 part dosing as I increased kalk while doing some more frequent alk tests.

Back