New blastos

wantsalotta

I acqiured these 2 wellsi's today. Think I can save them? Any hints to saving them? I think they were getting too much light. They were ina shallow (8 inch deep) tank, that had Aqua medic space light fixtures hanging over it ( I think 2 x 250 hqi) x 2 fixtures. they are now 18 inches below the surface under a single 175. What do you all think?

It's the pink one and the green one, obviously, the red is healthy and happy.

I've had them come back after looking like nothing more than a patch of skin over the skeleton. I just fed them svC, frozen rotifers, and cyclopsezee, took about 2 months and they are as happy as ever.

Cheers

Well, it looks lik a few of the smaller polyps will remain viable. Most of them were not able to eat. Hoping optimum conditions will result in tissue growth til they can feed. The pink looks like it will be really nice if I can get it to survive.

Sounds promising, ktar. I do not have a whole lot of experience with damaged blastos, so I was hoping someone would be able to chime in with some positive experience.

i had one colony of blasto that fell in the back of the tank and was there for weeks and it die off except for a little bit of flesh on the outer rim of the coral and it took like 4-6 months for the colony to grow back and i thought it would never make it. so done give up until you see no flesh left. good luck

I saw that colony 2 weeks ago in Denver :)
I bet you they will come back, it'll just take a while but those pinks will be sweet when they get large!

Yeah, I have been watching them at this store for a couple months(I only make it over there once a month or so). I talked with the owner, and he gave me a really good price on them because they are pretty much gone. It looks like they were "combination rocks" with 3 colors on each one. the pink colony has 2 small polyps that look like they are gonna be 2 different colors. The pink looked a little more inflated last night, and the green appears to have lost some tissue on a polyp or 2.

Brian,

My blasto's almost died do to too much lighting, 800watts, but then I threw them into the shade and they miraculously recovered. It took about 2 months for them to recover back to normal. You should probably do the same if your lighting is too intense.

I think they are ok for lighting now, they were in a shallow tank in a store, under multiple HQI bulbs. They are now about 18-20 inches deep under a 175 20k bulb.

Back