New Build – 70g Bowfront

You have come a long way. It seems as if we just talked about starting your tank and now it is looking great.

I just want to say that this is a fabulous thread! Came across it looking for ideas on how to mod a C3 sump by Marineland because it's the only already made sump system that will fit under my Marineland 27 gallon cube. Smart people, those Marineland folks! lol

Anyway, just thought it was very informative and also very friendly/helpful and I've come across a ton where people just don't seem to have any respect for someone coming into this hobby! A lot of rude a hateful posts I've seen today because someone that was new said they got a crappy protein skimmer not knowing it was crappy (just an example) and others jumped all over them... However, this thread is a nice breath of fresh air! Thanks for that all of you posters!

Also, Premilove, I never knew the vortech and the radion could get together and do all that fun stuff! Glad I saw that... I'm in the game for a AI Sol Blue but now I might have to take a closer look at the Radion. Wonder if the AI Sols can do that kind of stuff? I know the new wireless controller lets you do about 30 different lighting things but to match it with the pumps is genius. Wish I would have thought of that!

Jeff, your tank looked amazing on your last post... I'm thinking it probably looks better than mine at this point, and mines been up and running for years! haha You made a beautiful tank extremely fast!! And just because I originally came across this post because of the C3 sump, how is that going? Have you done anything different to it? Is it still operational? :) Seems to be my only option minus a custom build so I'm really curious!! Hope all is well!

Now... onto figuring out what to do about this C3 sump situation, which is ridiculously priced by the way!!

Thanks for the props on my tank Sarah! I also agree about everyone on this thread being so friendly and helpful!

As far as my sump goes.. I think like anything it definitely has its pros and cons.

The pros would be the size and having it be able to fit under the tight space of my stand. I also like that the 2nd stage water level stays at the same height. I have the Marineland skimmer and after taking a few weeks to break in it skims some really dark nasty gunk. I took out the bio wheels and added Nitrate and phosphate absorbing pads where the media basket goes and think they do a great job. I also added a GFO reactor that isnt listed which I believe helps keep my phosphates at a minimum.

The cons are also the size. Im using API test kits and everything stays within the proper parameters. However people tell me API test arent very accurate. I believe I have a slight phosphate problem that wouldnt be an issue if the sump were a bit bigger. This would allow more room for cheato, bigger skimmer and additional live rock. Also an ATO for this tank is a must with the third stage's upper portion being so slim. I can go from a full water level to my return sucking air / adding micro bubbles by just removing 2-3 solo cups of water.

Luckily, my sump came with the tank and stand so I didnt have to pay the crazy price. Overall, I would say this is a great sump for my needs. It fits great under my stand and keeps my parameters in check.

Sarah, how long have you had your C3 and what are your thoughts?

I thought I would post an update because Its been almost 1 year since I started my tank. Thanks for all the help Mr. Vu and Bill at CRC

DT_1Year.jpg

Back