New Build – 70g Bowfront

LOL at your tank texting you! Thats super cool though. I will definitely do some research on controllers.

DIY sounds awesome but I know zilch about wiring and electrical. Ive always been a fan of "Let's just call the guy.." when something breaks :) Also with my luck I would cause an electrical fire burn down my house. With all the factors in DIY led I will have to research to get an idea on what all I need and ultimately price.

What would be a rough guesstimate on a DIY led for my setup? Maybe I will send a drawing of the canopy with measurements later tonight.

Jeff,
Great tank. I liked it so much that recently I bought the exact same model; used. Mine came with medal halyards and a sump. Fans build into the top of the canopy. If you'd like, Ill email you some pictures or you can over and see for yourself the different mods.

James

Thanks for the info James! Thats cool that we have the same model and I would definitely like to see some pics. I really think we are leaning toward the LEDs, but its good to see different options.

This weekend we added 20lbs of live sand / 30lbs of regular sand, 20lbs of live rock / 30lbs of limestone and filled it up. As you can see we didn't rinse the sand properly, so it hasn't settled.

Tank_Day2.JPG

Also here is a drawing of the specs for Madkat and Ghellin for the DIY LED.

Tank_Top.jpg

Great sketch up. I would recommend the rapid 48 LED kit. An entire build would run you about $500, depending how you build your heatsink you can save a little and it would be less.

Great sketch up. I would recommend the rapid 48 LED kit. An entire build would run you about $500, depending how you build your heatsink you can save a little and it would be less.

While the initial cost for LED's is more, your save alot in the long run. Rapid is the way to go.

I am running 1 " aluminum c channel, this is a great option for LED DIY and it is cheaper than large heatsinks. I have 120 on 9 strips and absolutely no heat issues.

We could cover more surface area with LEDs if you build your own heatsinks as well.

Thanks for all the advice and input. Decisions! Decisions! I may just stick with the Ecoxotic Panorama Pro. I like the rapid 48 LED kit, but Im not sure the cost saved will be enough to cover the headache and chance that I will goof it up. I will continue to research. Thanks again everyone!

Yeah continue to research but if you aren't going to save much I would buy the unit, remember time is money!

Thanks MarineGirl. Here it is at Day 18 with moon lights. Also, last weekend we added 3 yellowtail blue damsels.

Tank_Day18.JPG

We bought some more LR and finally got our lights (Ecoxotic Panorama Pro LED) installed. I believe we have had water in the tank for around 32 days. So I wanted to post an update are some pics. Let me know what you think.

Heres the DT.. We still have 3 Yellowtail Damselfish
Tank_Day32_DT.jpg

Here is the top left and right portion under the canopy. We ended up hanging the Panorama Pro LED with 2 metal U brackets made for 4x4s that we bought from lowe's. Also on the sides are our R2 Solutions Extreme LED Moonlights
Tank_Day32_TopL.jpg

Tank_Day32_TopR.jpg

These are the images below the DT. On the left side we went with the SpectraPure Power Liquid Level Controller and Tom Aquatics Aqua-Lifter Dosing Pump. Also to light the refugium we used a JBJ Nano-Glo 4-LED Refugium Light that is hidden behind the jug.
Tank_Day32_ATO.jpg

On the right side we have the Marineland Marine Pro 100 Skimmer that took about a week to break in. The skimmer seems to work great since we have it on the second level where the water level never changes.
Tank_Day32_Skimmer.jpg

Finally you will see also on the second level I have my refugium in a small mesh breeder box that fits perfectly and keeps my cheato and dragons breath contained.
Tank_Day32_Fuge.jpg

Hello everyone,

I wanted to post a few updated pics. Looks like we are around the 50 day mark since we started. We got rid of those darn Yellowtail Damselfish. In our tank we have 2 ocellaris clownfish, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Scooter Blenny, Red Flasher Wrasse, 1 Sandsifting star, 1 green brittle star, Frogspawn Coral and Colt Coral.

DT
Tank_Day50_DT.jpg

Clowns and Yellow Tang
2Clowns.jpg

Colt Coral
Colt.jpg

Frogspawn
FS.jpg

Last but not least I like this pic for some reason.
Obscure.jpg

Thanks Doomed!

Mr. Vu,
Heck yeah! Tangs are my favorite too. Enjoy your vacation! See you in a few weeks!

Thanks for checking in BigPurp! The lights are awesome so far.. The best coral to judge would be a branching FS which is the first coral I added about 2 months ago. The heads have almost doubled from 6 to 10. ( BTW Thanks for my first coral TEK!)

The Ecoxotic Panorama Pros have great reviews online, but others that I have spoken with in person doubt their ability. I guess time will tell.

One thing I wanted to mention, I definitely recommend Custom Reef Creations in OKC and Aquarium Oddballs in Tulsa. Bill at CRC is great with Kids... I swear my 5yr old just follows him around asking to hold hermit crabsor any other invert and Bill treats her just like he would any other customer with excellent service. Also, Scott in Tulsa was very generous on my first visit and I ended up chatting with him for a few hours after he hooked me up!

All the fish heads and reefers Ive met have been extremely friendly.. When you start talking to someone and find out they have an aquarium it's almost like you both belong to a secret club and are able to bond instantly. Good Times!!

Here are some updated pics!
DT at day 100ish
Tank_Day100_DT.JPG

Rose Bulb Anemone
Tank_Day100_Anemone.JPG

Firefish, flowerpot, Tomini Tang, Main FS colony and Colt
Tank_Day100_Flame.JPG

Elegance Coral and FS Frag
Tank_Day100_Elegance.JPG

Toadstool
Tank_Day100_Toadstool.JPG

Flowerpot, Xenia, Zoas, and Maze Brain