New build to plan

jackde

Old dog and new tricks
After 40 years I'm going to try this salt water deal again. I've purchased a used Oceanic 57 gal. tank and stand mostly because it's all I have room for. My son gave me a old 20 long that will be used for a sump. The fist thing I would like to decide on is how to plumb it. Not knowing if it is temp. glass or not was thinking on Melevs DIY overflow box. If anyone knows if this tank can be drilled what would be the best way to go, bottom drill or back drill? Would like any suggestions you may have.

IMO The back drilled will give you more room in the tank. You never have enough room in there.
Also find out if the tank is tempered. IMO an HOB overflow is subject to floods and not starting the siphon after a power outage. More so than a drilled tank.

Well, this may take me a year the way I'm going.
Progress so far.....
Drilled tank in back. One 1" bulkhead for drain and one 3/4" bulkhead for return.
Built intrenal overflow box.
Painted back of tank and stand (black).
Built sump.
Purchased 50lbs. of reef saver rock from BRS.
Ordered pump and two power heads from Marine Depot. When they arrive I can start my plumbing.

Ok I'll bite. After 40 years....come on, pics of the 40 year old tank pics of the new.....we need some details here to get started....

You should have more than one drain incase it gets clogged. It will also be very loud. Do a search on the bean animal overflow, lots of good information on drains and overflow benefits.

You should have more than one drain incase it gets clogged. It will also be very loud. Do a search on the bean animal overflow, lots of good information on drains and overflow benefits.

+1 Althought I love seastars, I have to agree with Starfishater, you need at least 2 drains. One to run and one to be an 'emergency' backup. I'd do 3 and then I'd run my return water from the sump over the back of the tank (assuming you will have a canopy to hide it).

Decided to add another hole for a emergency drain as recomended. My next question is, do I just put an elbow on the back or do I need another T with a cap and hole?

Finished with pipe work would like coments good or bad.

Attachments

• pipes out back.jpg
    pipes out back.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • pipes into cab.jpg
    pipes into cab.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
  • overflow box.jpg
    overflow box.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
  • overflow & return.jpg
    overflow & return.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
IMO The back drilled will give you more room in the tank. You never have enough room in there.
Also find out if the tank is tempered. IMO an HOB overflow is subject to floods and not starting the siphon after a power outage. More so than a drilled tank.

Wrong, a good (Eshopps or Lifereef) HOB overflow box is not prone to flooding or siphon loss even after an extended power outage. Search for floods or leaks on this site, you will find drilled tanks are the culprit far more so than non drilled.

Back