New Equipment.. For a Grad Present?

Molly's

I have two saltwater tanks, two freshwater tanks and well, my parents need me to figure out a graduation present. All of my equipment for my tanks are purchases from amazon and other various stores; I will admit, none of my equipment is super special, but I can't think of anything else 'non-alive' to ask for as my grad present. I have a 125 gallon reef tank which I occasionally dose, as well as my ~35 or so gallon corner tank.. I don't have any test kits besides a master test kit. My main concern is what would be best to get? Some equipment for a small refugium? New lights, new filters? Dosing products? I don't know. I don't want to ask for fish or coral because of the possibility of moving in a year or two, so keep that in mind if anyone gives me suggestions.
Happy reefing! I am more than happy to answer questions and get measurements. (Yes, I have a refractometer)

Can you list the equipment you currently have? Makes and models might help us to make some decent suggestions. Also, is the a budget limit for this graduation gift? Congratulations on your upcoming graduation.

Can you list the equipment you currently have? Makes and models might help us to make some decent suggestions. Also, is the a budget limit for this graduation gift? Congratulations on your upcoming graduation.
I'll get working on a list of my current equipment. Budget limit... I have no idea! They informed me they want to get me some good stuff, so.. $1000-$2000 price range overall? I'm unsure, but I'll post when I get my equipment all sorted out.

Equipment for my 35 Gal:

Equipment for my 125 Gal:

crid=1X0N0CH1Y6T9P&keywords=penn+plax+x+cascade+elite+canister+filter&qid=1679236694&sprefix=pennplax+x+cascade+elite+canister+filte%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Lighting for Both: (5 in use)

Sorry for the massive chunk of text, but I managed to find links for everything (I believe). Yes, I do know the protein skimmers are undersized, but that's exactly what I want to work on here. I do have a powerhead for the 125 gallon, and I purchased it recently, and I am content with it.

How about a diving trip instead of aquarium gear? Literally thinking outside the box.
While that would be awesome- I have always wanted to see the ocean, I would prefer to improve the quality of life for my animals! While we do live somewhat close to a coast... I'd prefer doing something like that for a vacation, you feel?

Congrats again; how about simply stockpiling the staples you'll need and that you run out of most frequently? If you played guitar. you might already have a great instrument, but you'll always need guitar strings, no?

Congrats again; how about simply stockpiling the staples you'll need and that you run out of most frequently? If you played guitar. you might already have a great instrument, but you'll always need guitar strings, no?
Good idea, but I will admit I don't run out of things frequently. The main things I use are food and things I seldom-dose such as iodine and micronutrients. Because I add these in minimal amounts stares at algae I don't really use excessive amounts of anything. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

And if anyone is wondering about the algae issue... yes, I am always actively working on it, and I plan on cycling my tanks properly after me and my family moves to set myself up for success in the long term.

I intend no offence but that lighting choice is... unusual. Are you currently keeping any corals under those lights?

I intend no offence but that lighting choice is... unusual. Are you currently keeping any corals under those lights?
It indeed is unusual, but it'd take me awhile to save for some good lights. I am indeed keeping coral under these lights and they have been doing well and growing well- then again, I keep mostly softies, with a gorgonian- even my purple Pocillopora enjoys it. Sadly for that pocillopora though, my emerald crabs have been eating on it... but that's something I'm working on.
My softies- I have a finger leather, some sort of toadstool with long tentacles, two mushrooms, a pink gorgonian, a small frag of GSP, and some sort of red coral tree with green polyps. The only thing that hasn't been too happy in there (besides the pocillopora from being munched on) is my little frag of pulsing Xenia, oddly enough. This is why I am considering an upgrade to lighting and other equipment. I'm thinking I really need some better testing kits.

I'm all for budget friendly. It's good to know that landscape lighting can grow corals. If I had any advice it would be to celebrate the xenia failure and perhaps remove it before it's not.

Hmm if the budget is that high, I’d definitely look at upgrading lighting (even if with a budget light such as SmatFarm or Noopsyche). Beyond that, I’d looks at upgrading or increasing water flow with some wave makers. Or if room permits, upgrading the canister to a sump set up (this personal preference) to hide the equipment. Or perhaps an aquarium controller (apex is pricey, but there’s hydros or reefpi that I believe are a bit cheaper and will help in the future for controlling other equipment)

Or on the cheaper end, perhaps a smart power strip so you can flip things on and off with your phone instead of unplugging things. I use geeni but many swear by Kasa

Hmm if the budget is that high, I’d definitely look at upgrading lighting (even if with a budget light such as SmatFarm or Noopsyche). Beyond that, I’d looks at upgrading or increasing water flow with some wave makers. Or if room permits, upgrading the canister to a sump set up (this personal preference) to hide the equipment. Or perhaps an aquarium controller (apex is pricey, but there’s hydros or reefpi that I believe are a bit cheaper and will help in the future for controlling other equipment)
Thank you for the advice! Frankly, I'm really looking to get a sump to make things a bit easier for me- algae control, a safe space for new corals... if I can even find a tank that'll fit under my stand. Likely a small one. A smart power strip sounds interesting.. I'd love to look into one, as right now I'm using a power strip with one of those hand-adjustable timers. I'll definitely look into upgrading lighting and flow... frankly, I do only have one medium sized wavemaker. Looks like it's time for me to brush up on some BRS!

Thank you for the advice! Frankly, I'm really looking to get a sump to make things a bit easier for me- algae control, a safe space for new corals... if I can even find a tank that'll fit under my stand. Likely a small one. A smart power strip sounds interesting.. I'd love to look into one, as right now I'm using a power strip with one of those hand-adjustable timers. I'll definitely look into upgrading lighting and flow... frankly, I do only have one medium sized wavemaker. Looks like it's time for me to brush up on some BRS!

The one thing to remember is BRS is a company looking to sell their products. Some of the older BRS investigates is pretty neutral but many of it touts the products they sell

I still remember the day I stopped buying from BRS....I saw the guy go on an anti-China product rant....."buy this item sold BRS and not the stuff made in China...its all crap because their society only likes cheap crap".......

Back