New Fish Not Eating

PAStreetGlide

I just got a Powder Blue Tang and That fish place over the weekend while at the swap. I feed mysis shrimp every night but he just wont eat. He seems to be getting thinner and thinner. Anyone have any ideas to get him to eat?

they eat greens in the wild.
I had mine started on fresh chopped calupera, then quickly moved him to nori or dried seaweed that was shredded into small pieces, then onto formula two flakes, then onto new life spectrum pellets, and now onto literally anything that enters the tank.

I got a small PBT there as well a few weeks ago. I took a stupid chance with him when I bought him, he was already skinny but I thought I could rehab him since I've been successful in the past. Initially I did get him to eat some nori, especially when I would let it shred through the power heads and he sporadically ate a couple mysis and flakes. Unfortunately he was to far gone, I felt horrible....he's the first fish i've lost in years :-(

Good luck and I hope you can get yours on the right path!

no on the nano,
how big is your tank, a pb should have a tank thats 6ft long to be happy not saying that a 4ft long is that bad but they love to swim fast across the tank.
back to the eating question chop up a clove of fresh garlicand soak it with the food tangs are mostly vegitarian keeping seaweed, nori,or my favorite romine lettuce the veggie clips with the magnet are awesomeyou can slide then right across the glass the barely get your fingers wet adding food to the clip.

+1 on the Romane lettuce! You are welcome Brad for that one... HAHA ;) I hope he soon eats for you. Anything green is a plus when it comes to tangs. Meats are a nice treat from time to time, but not a staple in any Tangs diet.

You should also check with TFP to see what they were feeding your fish prior to your purchase. Call the store and ask for Jose I believe he is a supervisor in the fishroom. If not most anyone there will point you in the right direction for getting answers.

The tank is 110 gallon tall and when I said putting him in the nano I ment so I could concentrate on feeding him. Once he started eating I could put im back in the main tank. I do have a veggie clip and I'll get the lettuce and garlic tonight.

I'll also call TPF and speak with Jose.

Thanks guys I'l update with progress

i think the nano would stress the fish out and do more hurm the good.
i guess the best way to describe what the tangs going though would be to picture someone going someplace new like a new job or kids being taken away to a place full of strangers, how do the act? quite and shy(hiding behind mom or dad,at least till they feel comfortable enough to open up and interact with new friends.

i'n not sure about jose but i deal with cory alot in the fishroom he's a supervisor.

good luck i'm sure all will be good in a few days

Hes not looking the best this morning but the lights arent on yet. He could still be in a sleep. He was starting to lay on his side but I got him to swim a bit. Hopefully hes alive tonight to eat the romain. I did put some red algae on my veggie clip to see if he'd go to that.

In addition to the nori I think TFP feeds brine shrimp. You could try that to see if it causes him to feed.

I spoke with Megan at TFP. She said they have a 5 day gurantee on most all fish. They also are feeding green algae and mysis to the tang. My PBT sadly died this afternoon but I was abl to get a new one tonight to replace him. Hes a lil larger than what I wanted but was the only one they had.

Just curious, I decided not to buy another PBT from there, but how is your new guy doing? The mediums and larges do look better there then the smaller ones they get in (we live 15 minutes away so we check out the livestock every week ;-)

Hes alot more active and looks alot healthier than the first. We'll see how he eats tonight as he didnt eat last night but feeding time was right after acclimation.

Back