New guy here looking for tank advice

rusty5387

Hey guys this is my first reef tank. I have been wanting one for the past 15 years and finally decided to give this a shot. I picked up a 40 gallon tank with stand and canister filter and 1 powerhead from a coworker for $60. I figured this would be a great starting point without breaking the bank to bad. I have had the tank running for about 5 months now and I have 3 pieces of coral and 4 fish and 1 shrimp. Also a few snails and hermit crabs. My tank is not a breeder size its more tall and narrow so I feel like I am limited as to how to setup my rock. I put 50lbs live sand and 28 lbs of rock. I made the mistake of putting the sand down first followed by the rock and then made my next possible mistake and purchased a sand sifting goby. He quickly started moving alot of sand around my tank and undermined a few rocks. At first I was upset but now all my rocks have settled and I did some minor moving with some and I am pretty happy with it now. Thanks to the goby I have tunnels under all the rocks and my other fish really seem to enjoy it. Do you guys think I should try building the rock up more or should I continue to add some corals a little at a time and let them fill the tank out?

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/rusty5387/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Last edited:
Well depending on the corals they will need room to grow..
Other than that aquascaping is mostly a personal preference..
Do what looks good to you..

Pyramid is a good shape for a tall tank.

The canister is going to give you some trouble: ultimately, with corals, you'll want a sump. But you can do a hang-on skimmer that will give you some wiggle room (if you get a Coralife, for gosh sakes ask me how to prevent a flood with it in your living room: involves two tubes routing back to tank)...but if you get softie corals, you'll be good for quite a lot of growth: they don't mind 'rich' water and higher nitrate.

Softies are a great way so start corals as mentioned above. I can attest to canister filter contributing to high nitrates. Your tank looks good however.
If it were me I'd remove the goby and stay away from sand sifters. I had a goby when I started. I hadn't missed that fish. The starry Benny fills that void well.

Now seeing the pictures I'd definitely add more rock..
And I read 50lbs of rock first..
I'd at least double the amount of rock too..

I think there is a general rule of like 1 or 1.5x tank gallons in pounds of rock..
The more the better as far as surface area for bacteria to colonize,etc...

Thanks guys. I'm worried about adding more rock as my tank is not very wide its only 12 inches. So I can really only keep building the rock up higher and I am worried it may get to be to unstable. I am considering picking up a 40 gallon breeder next time they are on sale and moving everything into that tank that way I will have a much wider tank to work with. Do you guys think this would be a good idea?

Also my tank only has 1 florescent light. I have an actinic bulb but have to switch the bulbs out to use it. I want to upgrade my lighting very soon but won't have a lot to spend. Would the Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System be a good choice for my tank? Since my tank is narrow but deep I think 22 inches from top to the sand bed will that be enough lighting for my tank and to grow corals?

I'm not sure what size or kind of florescent light you have but many corals won't thrive without more than one bulb depending on depth. I recommend ati bulbs if your fixture will accommodate them. I had a 40 breeder for awhile but I quickly was ready for an upgrade. Maybe you can pick up a 60 wide or cube.

Thanks guys. I'm worried about adding more rock as my tank is not very wide its only 12 inches. So I can really only keep building the rock up higher and I am worried it may get to be to unstable. I am considering picking up a 40 gallon breeder next time they are on sale and moving everything into that tank that way I will have a much wider tank to work with. Do you guys think this would be a good idea?

YES....the 40 breeder is a perfect footprint for a mini- reef.

Back