New Idea Curiosity

CuzzA

So, I'll preface this by saying this thread in no way is a for sale or marketing thread. Don't bother asking or private messaging me about it because I value my membership here on RC. Rather a discussion about how interested my fellow TBRC members would be in a couple ideas I've been working on the past year or so. I'd like to hear any suggestions and if it's even something you would consider and how much value you would put into adding the following things to your systems. I developed these two ideas for my upgrade, but I'm curious if others have the same interest.

The first idea I developed is a truly Continuous Artemia Hatch and Feeder which could also double as a Automatic Phyto Doser. Say you could add the doser to your system and you add a portion of decapped brine eggs and it automatically slowly dosed your tank with the artemia after hatching. Once that batch is dosed you simply add some RO/DI water and a new portion of eggs. That's it, nothing else to do. Is this something you would consider? Would there be any reasons why you wouldn't add it? Especially given that studies and anecdotal evidence shows corals grow much faster and display better color if fed artemia and of course it would benefit finicky eaters like Mandarins, for example.

The second is not a new idea, the Sea Swirl, but a variation from it. I don't see these on a lot of tanks, but they work fantastic. So, I guess my question is why don't more reefers use them? If they were substantially smaller and at a cost of say between $50-100 would you add them to your returns? Is size and cost why more reefers don't use this technology? To me I feel like the flow from returns is somewhat wasted energy. Why not put that flow and energy to even more use. Emmitt is a perfect example of how effective they are in terms of growing coral with Sea Swirls. Of course for him it's more than just Sea Swirls, but I believe that is all he uses for flow in his tanks. I still like controllable powerheads and will use them in conjunction with the Sea Swirl style returns. My guess is reefers don't use them simply due to there cost.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

I like the sea swirls but I think the major drawback is you still have to run other power heads to move water in the lower region of your tanks so if your having to buy power heads anyway why even bother with the swirls. I know you can pivot them 45 degrees and move water lower but still would want additional power heads to get the job done correctly. That and wave functions. Oh and for us nano keepers sea swirls are basically out of the question.

I think your ideas are pretty cool. Do you have any prototypes you can share?

I like the sea swirls but I think the major drawback is you still have to run other power heads to move water in the lower region of your tanks so if your having to buy power heads anyway why even bother with the swirls. I know you can pivot them 45 degrees and move water lower but still would want additional power heads to get the job done correctly. That and wave functions. Oh and for us nano keepers sea swirls are basically out of the question.

There's no powerheads on Emmitts tanks. I think he has 4 on his. He's also won TOTM and frankly his latest tank could win another. But I hear you on the powerheads. However, perhaps it's just us wanting to have control over something. We like to adjust our powerheads exactly how we want them, but in realty are they going to help coral grow bigger and faster? If you could slap a $50 return on your tank and get the same result would you do it or would you still want to have "control" over a powerhead.

Btw, ZooMed makes a product you can use on nanos that operate like the sea swirl without a motor. http://zoomed.com/db/products/Entry...7czoxOiIwIjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjE6IjAiO30=

I think your ideas are pretty cool. Do you have any prototypes you can share?

I do. I'll put some pics together.

I agree the price on Sea swirls are a little high especially on bigger tanks where 4 would probably be needed and I was definitely on board for this project from your first post a year or so ago. For the taller tanks do you think an extension could be used with 2 outlets, one toward the surface and one 6-8 inches down to deal with dead spots?????

The auto feeder I think could definitely benefit the finicky eaters and corals along with being a natural fresh food for the tank as a whole.

Last edited:
I like the live food suggestion. I've never really considered the use of the swirls. They are big, bulky and cost a lot even used. I have always thought my return would be great oscillating in some fashion.

As far as the sea swirl idea goes, I've got these on my returns in my tank to help randomize flow:

http://m.marinedepot.com/products/az1711/hydra-aquatics-vortex-water-flow-accelerators-mpt

Much much cheaper and still randomize. However they have seized up due to coralline growth, so maybe at this cost I just need to replace them with new ones. Still a much cheaper option.

Yeah, I see those as needing constant maintenance, restricting flow and not really moving the water like a Sea Swirl does with 180 degree movement from a motor.

I would like a sea sweep for a more afforsable price over a sea swirl.

I would disagree here. If u put a $300 power head on the sea sweeps then u r spending more on the sea sweep. I run 2 sea swirls on my display 120gal and love them. They never break down and run using my return pump. No power head needed as they move they provide flow to the entire tank. Emmet has 2 on a closed loop and 2 on his return pump

Back