New-ish to the hobby?

PhysicsMunkey

Hi Everyone!

I have experience in the past working with reef aquariums, but it's probably been about 10 years honestly.

I've recently inherited my father's 75 gallon reef aquarium which has a few fish and corals. We will be breaking down the tank from his house, and moving it into my house.

Looking for some advice, because I feel like this is a good opportunity to make sure the tank is set up right, and set up for success. I don't plan on keeping anything crazy - some soft corals, maybe some LPS, a few fish. Simple.

Is there any upgraded tech that I should include in the new set up now that I have the opportunity? Anything I should do prior to re-establishing the tank?
The tank has a 40 gallon sump with a skimmer - hang on the back filter, and some nice LED lighting.

Any advice or help to point me back in the right direction is much appreciated!

Best advice is NOT to use any sand in the tank, get new sand & rinse it good in tap water.
Save as much water as you can but make up some new water @ your place for the move.
Use coolers for the move, bag the fish, corals not necessary just in the water in the cooler.
Rock in separate cooler. IF it is a long move a heat pack taped to the inside lid of the cooler will help keep things warm. Good luck.

Oh interesting - I didn't think of new sand, but can certainly do that! I definitely remember rinsing....and rinsing....and rinsing sand lol. Just out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for new sand? Just a fresh start?

I also get to inherit a nice RO system, so maybe I should move that over first so we can have water ready for the move.

Good thinking! Thank you!

Back