New light

Jurel6570

I want to get new LEDs for my 56 column. My brain is on over load! I want some thing that is programable. Any opinions are welcome. I would like to hear about your experience. Thank you for any info.

I can only tell you what I've put in my latest tank and I'm tickled to death with it. Radion XR30. They are admitingly being run by by my apex, but I gotta tell you, the storm function (just to name a few) is killer.

I've got a cheap set of LED's over on my Discus tank (don't like too much light), they come with a remote control, so by definition are programmable... they don't touch the things this other system can do.

These things upgrade and change every day, I'm sure others will chime in on some other cool options. Good luck!

my 2 cents: there are a lot of good lights out there and a lot of not so good lights. Best bet is to stick with proven consistent lights that have easy to get warranty support. With consistent I mean light fixture to fixture - some of the less expensive units seem to be hit or miss. For good and bad it is subjective - I am partial to something that has nice colors and adjustability to suit your taste - some folks like a mix of blues and whites - I find that a wider assortment of colors yields a nicer tank.

With that said I'm a fan of the ecotech radios (Gen 2 and newer, preferably 2 pro & any of the gen 3s which gets you UVs), the AI Hydra 52s (have UV), and the Kessil multi-spectrum 350 or 360 - the 360 if you want to control it from a controller.

The kessil is a neat light - not adjustable in the same way as the ecotch and hydra. The ones I have seen look great (even the older Tuna which I wouldn't get in lieu of the 360)

I have both the radion xr30 gen 1 and 2 Kessil a350w not controllable .I feel with my corals I have had better growth and color under the kessil . But like everything else it's probably just the opposite with someone else.
Dan

Yeah Radions rock But the software can be a huge PITA!! So if you go that route You may end up having to get an Apex too

at 30" wide the sides might be low on light - good place to keep some mushrooms or low light LPS! My cube is 30 x 30 and I put on the wide angle lens kit from scotch. at 18" of depth I would stay with the regular lenses.

on the kessil from the little I've seen on par I suspect the wide is a better choice

I had leds but after a year and a half my corals started to discolor so am back to halides with leds on them and couldn't be happier

I dunno , saw a cheap ebay a few weeks back. Guy had great growth and color. Might be worth a hundred bucks to see if you like it. You can always sell it. I see a lot of flip flopping with LEDs.

I have one of the Chinese black boxes. There is growth but I can't program it. It is to tough with the work schedule to have a steady light cycle.

Back