New mantis setup

I didn't see it in your post, but what kind of light is that over the tank? Mantis shrimp don't need light and can have health/shell problems with too much light.

A low powered light should be fine, but anything strong enough to grow coral is probably too much for a mantis, long term.

I didn't see it in your post, but what kind of light is that over the tank? Mantis shrimp don't need light and can have health/shell problems with too much light.

A low powered light should be fine, but anything strong enough to grow coral is probably too much for a mantis, long term.

A few thoughts about this.... first, it is only applicable to deep water species like those from the genus Odontodactylus. It is true that high lighting can enhance the spread of shell rot, but it's actually poor water quality/poor nutrition that seems to contribute most to that condition. In the mantis shrimp hobby, shell rot only affects Peacocks, and a couple species of large gonodactylids.

I've had high lights over my tank for over a year and even some marine biologists run intense LEDs with success. I suppose it does decrease the margin for error. Furthermore, it can lead to some problems with reclusiveness in Peacocks. For all those reasons, I wouldn't recommend LEDs for a Peacock tank, but it can be done with success. My current tank has an awesome and active female Peacock that is enjoying her LED-lit tank.

My coral on the other hand, well, I'd rather not talk about that! :headwally:

I am using a Ai hydra 26 on her tank but I'm only running it at 23% and it's on a 4 hour ramp set on 18-20K with a 6 hour period so it isn't to intense. So it only hits that 23% power for 2 hours a day. She just went through a successful molt and is out and about all the time! She is very active and eats a lot!

Glad yours is out. I got my purple spot mantis about the same time and is rarely seen, but heard consistently.

Back