New Reef Beeeders Pico LED

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
Hey guys,

Just thought I’d post an initial review of the new Reef Breeders Pico LED. I won it in a giveaway and I’m using it on my 5.5 gallon coral quarantine/frag grow out tank to replace (possibly permanently but maybe temporarily the 150w halide I have over the tank.

The light is a 9W total power and is said to handle SPS in a 10 inch square, LPS in a 14 inch square and Softies in a 16 inch square.

No par numbers (either online or for mine) but I currently have it set at 100% at just about max height on the 5.5. We will see how the GSP that’s in there handles it.

4_IMG_0283.jpeg

0_0_IMG_0284.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

2_IMG_0286.jpeg

1_1_IMG_0285.jpeg

The full tank shot is a little washed out due to the basement lights

You mean like this one in my 65?
IMG_0295.jpeg

Or this one in my wife’s 32? (My hand which is about an average adult hand for reference)
1_IMG_0296.jpeg

It’s time for the blues in my house lol

Alright guys, so above is initial post on receiving the new ReefBreeders Pico light. I’ve had this light for about 1.5 months on my 5.5 gallon coral quarantine. Today I took this light off and put my halide back on the tank. Here’s my brief review:

Some light info from Reef Breeders:

Saltwater Reef: Designed with corals in mind! 1 x 6500K Cool White, 3 x 450nm Royal Blue, 1 x 420nm Violet, 1 x 480nm Cool Blue. Covers SPS up to 10" x 10", LPS up to 14" x 14", and Soft Corals up to 16" x 16".

Main Features:

• Dimmable sunrise, sunset, and moonlight controller included
  • The power output has been increased by 23% from 7watts to 9watts
  • Onboard heat sink reduces running temp and increase LED life
  • Integrated light shade reduces light spill outside the aquarium
  • Corrosion resistant matte black hardware
  • 24 month USA warranty

Now with that out of the way, the light works. Though for me, I’m in extreme doubt of the ability to support corals in the way mentioned above. I do not have par numbers but I had the light about 9 inches above the water on a 5.5 gallon tank with mostly green star polyps and Kenya tree. With the exception of the first week or so, the corals have opened up less and less leading me to believe the light is too weak (these corals came from 250w halides in my 65 gallon). In the few days since switching back to the halide for this tank, the corals have begun to open more. It may be coincidence and honestly without measuring par, I could be way off and that the light was too strong but I’m just doubting it. This light may work for some but it’s not my choice. Maybe good for a true Pico but yea. Feel free to put your own reviews here as well if you have this light

With the exception of the first week or so, the corals have opened up less and less leading me to believe the light is too weak (these corals came from 250w halides in my 65 gallon).

Unfortunately this is what I expected but I was hoping for different news because I've looked at this light myself before. In the old days when I was hotrodding everyone said "there's no replacement for displacement" on motors. with corals I'm starting to think the same is true with lights. 9 out of 10 times it seems like issues I have had that were light related were not because the light was too strong....

What is sooo surprising?
Gets me every time..
Wasn’t surprising, I was just hoping for a better result. Kind of a “the corals still open but growth slowed” vs “corals closed and wouldn’t reopen”

It was worth a shot. Perhaps a Noop Mini may work better in this instance. Still have the wattage but appears to have good results. But that’ll have to wait

Back