New reef set up, need help

afish70

I am finally getting back in to this amazing hobby. I have lived in the Tampa area for just about 3 years now and finally settled down enough to start up again. I had a couple tanks running in Illinois before i moved away but had to sell everything when i moved. I have found a tank and stand but that is all so far and have my skimmer from previous set up. I am going with a 90 gallon at this time and have a tight budget. Can anyone tell me where i can get some good sand and live rock that won't break the bank? I will be looking for lights and and all that as well. i am going to pick up the tank on Wednesday the 23rd and will start creating over the weekend. Any and all suggestions will be greatly accepted and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:bounce3::bounce3:

Last edited:
If you are looking for budget live rock options you might consider using dry rock instead. Most retailers who sell live rock are only going to set you back a couple buck per pound. Around half what you might pay for cured live rock. Only downside is it will look less amazing at first and take longer for your tank to get up to speed, but on the other hand starting with dry rock eliminates the possibility of getting harmful hitchhikers on your live rock.

Tampabaysaltwater is a local supplier who is active on this forum:
http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/ordering/pricelist.html

I have also ordered dry rock from bulk reef supply before with very nice results
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-dry-live-rock-live-sand.html

Good luck on your new tank and welcome back to the hobby.

also check your local fish stores.

dry rock will be the cheapest, FAOIS has this for $2 per pound and a lot in stock

I would suggest using either dry rock or the man made stuff to avoid the headaches of unwanted pests in the future. i started my recent tank with base rock and just a few small pieces of live rock (obtained from trusted source) and within just a few months it was flourishing with bacteria and coralline algae. On top of that base rock is much cheaper.

Watch on here if you have some time, I see live rock for $1 per lb and base rock nearly free every couple weeks.

FAOIS has the best deal on sand! I would order dry rock from BRS if I was you. The pukani is great rock and its light compared to other types so you won't need as much to fill the tank.

Thank you very much everyone. I am compiling all of your suggestions and doing more research in to each one. i drive right by FAOIS every night but have not stopped by, now i am going to have to stop by. i can't wait to get this thing up and running, just have to go through my check list and see what all i need to buy again since i sold everything when i moved.

FAOIS has the best deal on sand! I would order dry rock from BRS if I was you. The pukani is great rock and its light compared to other types so you won't need as much to fill the tank.
Pukani is really great rock for sure.
If pukani is what you want Tampa bay saltwater has the same price on dry pukani as BRS. As much as a do love BRS you could probably do local pickup for TBS and get rock faster than from BRS and support a local business at the same time.

Also If you stop by FAOIS then Coral Corral is right up the road and worth checking out as well.

Hopefully going to stop by FAOIS tonight on way home and see what they have. I am hoping i can find everything i need so i can get set-up this weekend and start the long cycling process. I am going to take my time with the cycle to make sure everything goes right. If anyone has any advice as to ways of cycling tank or what to watch out for let me know.

Back