new reefer starting Saturday

I'm in Indiana... well I sent the guy a text telling him I'm backing out I didn't want too cause I told him I was all in...but I can't ignore solid advice from people who reef daily...I suppose if he will take 50 I'd be in I think that's my safe comfort price the tank and stand and equipment are surely worth 50...but I didn't give him that offer didn't want to offend him

Um, no. That's algae. The only think I know as grass coral is galaxea and if that was somehow what it is, I wouldn't want a tank covered in that either.

I too am very new to reef I am going to be setting up my first tank next week. But from only experience with FW I too can tell that tank is nowhere near taken care of. First thing I noticed (side the "grass coral") was the amount of water in that tank. It very low there for his levels are out of wack. I'm willing to bet the last time that tank was touched or even looked at was over a month ago expect to take the pic to sell the thing.

Google image grass coral I see nothing on ther that looks like algae. Wait for some more experienced posters to reply. If I where you buy a blank tank and slowly buy your rock, sand, lights,powerheads, and a good skimmer. Yeah you don't have a reef right away but then again you feel good knowing that your going about it the right way.in the mean time while you "stock pile" your equipment you can be on here doing your home work.

I guess all I'm trying to say is take your time don't rush it or it will be a nightmare and you'll be ready to kick the tank over and never really truly enjoy the hobby. Most people get a fish tank with the idea of "set up fill with water and top off" then they wonder why their fish are dead and the tank looks like s*** (the guy your talking to I'm sure). Best thing you can do for yourself and your system is in three words, homework homework homework!!!!!

He said he could not recall the scientific name but he said it grows on all the rock...granted its a bad pic and I Dont no a lot but its on the tank aswell and it looks like algae or something similar to me...but he assured me it was algae free tank ..hmmmm

As excited as I was for you setting up your tank, I agree with the rest. That one doesn't seem to be worth the 280.
Wait for the right thing to come your way. It will happen.

If it's all good stuff maybe it's worth picking it up so you can start completely over. Rehouse all the critter bleach the rock and buy new sand... Start from scratch

That's what it resembles to me from the bad quality picture more so than hair algae... but once again not like I've seen either in person....

No he hasn't gave me any names on nothing... that's what I was thinking if it was good stuff it would be possibly good starter but not a lot of info

No I have not looked at it ...maybe tomorrow he said think about it but he has still not gave me any brands or MDL # on equipment... he said he thinks he has two 150 mh

00505_dJtFHWoMs2A_600x450_zpsf4d8a69b-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I can get this 65 gal basic setup with skimmer sump with bio filter in it not sure the type of florescence but he said he had a mh he throw in but needs rewired a koralina and clown fish all for 200.... should I maybe get a 20 gal get frags get them going get exp and build up ...or what's your advice for me to get started with limited budget? I do realize limited budget really Dont apply to this or any hobby

00505_dJtFHWoMs2A_600x450_zpsf4d8a69b-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I can get this 65 gal basic setup with skimmer sump with bio filter in it not sure the type of florescence but he said he had a mh he throw in but needs rewired a koralina and clown fish all for 200.... should I maybe get a 20 gal get frags get them going get exp and build up ...or what's your advice for me to get started with limited budget? I do realize limited budget really Dont apply to this or any hobby
If you realize limited budget doesn't get you far in this hobby, then I really don't see why you're pushing to get the tank immediately? I would wait, or maybe start with an all-in-one nano, such as a JBJ.

You show us another tank photo, but you have no idea about actual equipment he's offering to you. If you want any real feedback you need to know exactly what you're buying, including brands and models of every piece of equipment on that tank. Then post the list here and we can tell you if it's a good deal or not.

I know you don't want to wait, but this spring I am replacing my 55 Gallon with a 20 G sump and most of the equipment. Once I make the switch to my new 150, I will be selling everything. However, it won't be a full setup. you will need to buy rock, lighting and a some flow gear. It will consist of the tank, sump, DIY stand, skimmer and the return pump. You would need to buy some type of power heads, Lighting, and rock. I am in Columbus Ohio, so it may be a bit of a drive to get it but I think you would have a better start and you could use the next several months to slowly start saving money and buying equipment.

55G tank, back painted blue and drilled on the left side for the drain.
20G sump, divided into 3 sections, left - skimmer, center - return, right - refugium
SC-65 protein skimmer
Eheim 3000+ return pump. (I just bought this pump about 4 or 5 months ago)

Back