new reefer starting Saturday

I'm still very new to this all myself but the only advice I can offer is, make sure you know exactly what is needed before you buy the tank. Know all the elements, plumbing, electrical, controllers, lights, timers, heaters, pumps, powerheads, flow, filters, RODI filter, SUMP(type, layout, design, size) etc etc.

I was just as excited as you were, heck I even had all the funds I needed, I rushed out and bought a brand new 180 and it sat for 6 months before it saw a drop of water. There is a ton to learn, and it just doesn't make sense to have the tank taking up space while your still figuring things out, it wont help you get fish in it any faster.

The 65 looks to be in better health but the tank and stand don't look to be in great shape. The lighting is standard fluorescent (not sufficient if you want a reef). Depending on the quality and age of the MH, it might be worth it. I don't see an overflow box which probably means the biofilter is a canister filter with bio balls or ceramic rings.

65s are a good tank and they aren't cheap because they aren't all that common. Its not a horrible price but if you decide to get it, I would try and talk him down.

I live in NW Indiana and I would have to say the only grass is the ditch weed the guy selling the tank is smoking!:) lol
Used tanks around here go for a $1 a gallon

Columbus is not a bad drive from indy thanks for thinking of me...I went with a super cheap 20 gal so its going to b harder to maintain but it had two fish and two small pieces of dead live rock...had no light and a poor heater ...thanks to oscarinw post on how to move a tank the fish seem to be OK...I cleaned to 10 lbs of sand and got 10 more lbs to add on top ...$ is tight and when I got it Sunday didn't have much time 16 hr days at work lately has made it tough....I put two 6500k 25w bulbs in a shop light and the fish seem much happier ...salt lvls wear off the chart but got it down to .022 I believe if memory serves... at this point I'm trying to figure out a cheap DIY to get my spectrum of actinic and 10k ..I Dont see a way with out led,mh or florescence...I'll post a pic and specs asap :) but right now waters clean fish are happy and alive :)

Back